password protected documents

  • m_hendriksen_cvg
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2008
      <Quite some years ago I made quite a few WordPerfect 3.5e
      <password protected files (68k and *maybe* PPC). Years
      <later, I have an Intel Mac. I don't have steady access to a
      <PPC and I'm not even sure my old 68k Mac still works,
      <let alone finding the software on a floppy in some unknown
      <box. To further the troubles, I'm not even sure I can remember
      <the passwords (some maybe, but not all).
      <
      >Any hints?

      ----------------------------

      Hi Jerry,

      As a person who supported WordPerfect for the Macintosh when it was
      still be deveoped and sold by WordPerfect Corporation I can assure
      you that even if you are able to get the WP Mac 3.5x application
      working, unless you remember the password, you _will not_ be able to
      open the files. I remember the people who worked on the encryption
      project. They were brilliant and knew what they were doing, and they
      did not leave a "back door" anywhere to make it possible to open
      locked files. That is what made the security of locked documents so
      compelling. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I hope that you wrote
      the password(s) you used down somewhere or used the same password
      somewhere else so you can find it.

      Mike Hendriksen, former I.T. Macintosh Technician for the Mac Group
      at WPCorp and at NOVELL
      (mh@...)
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2008
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, m_hendriksen_cvg <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > As a person who supported WordPerfect for the Macintosh when it was
        > still be deveoped and sold by WordPerfect Corporation I can assure
        > you that even if you are able to get the WP Mac 3.5x application
        > working, unless you remember the password, you _will not_ be able to
        > open the files. I remember the people who worked on the encryption
        > project. They were brilliant and knew what they were doing, and they
        > did not leave a "back door" anywhere to make it possible to open
        > locked files. That is what made the security of locked documents so
        > compelling. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I hope that you wrote
        > the password(s) you used down somewhere or used the same password
        > somewhere else so you can find it.

        That fits with my memory that WPCorp. said they had no means to break
        the encryption, unlike Claris Corp., who would open a protected
        Filemaker database for you if you sent them the file and claimed you
        owned it.

        > Mike Hendriksen, former I.T. Macintosh Technician for the Mac Group
        > at WPCorp and at NOVELL

        Mike, welcome to the group. I'm especially glad to see old WP hands
        like yourself here, since you may have knowledge that just isn't
        available anywhere else.

        John R.
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2008

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, m_hendriksen_cvg no_reply@
          wrote:

          > > As a person who supported WordPerfect for the Macintosh when it was
          > > still be deveoped and sold by WordPerfect Corporation I can assure
          > > you that even if you are able to get the WP Mac 3.5x application
          > > working, unless you remember the password, you _will not_ be able to
          > > open the files. I remember the people who worked on the encryption
          > > project. They were brilliant and knew what they were doing, and they
          > > did not leave a "back door" anywhere to make it possible to open
          > > locked files. That is what made the security of locked documents so
          > > compelling. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I hope that you
          wrote
          > > the password(s) you used down somewhere or used the same password
          > > somewhere else so you can find it.
          >
          > That fits with my memory that WPCorp. said they had no means to break
          > the encryption, unlike Claris Corp., who would open a protected
          > Filemaker database for you if you sent them the file and claimed you
          > owned it.
          >
          > > Mike Hendriksen, former I.T. Macintosh Technician for the Mac Group
          > > at WPCorp and at NOVELL
          >
          > Mike, welcome to the group. I'm especially glad to see old WP hands
          > like yourself here, since you may have knowledge that just isn't
          > available anywhere else.
          >
          > John R.

        • Kevin Lepard
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2008
            If the file is sufficiently valuable, there are options for cracking
            it back open, though many of them require a Windows box. The
            Wordperfect encryption was far from secure.

            Just for starters see:

            pwcrack.com
            recovery-corel-wordperfect.qarchive.org
            http://www.jjtc.com/Security/cryptanalysis.htm
            http://www.securityfocus.com/tools/2287
            http://www.1000files.com/Utilities/Security_and_Encryption/WordPerfect_Key_7592_Review.html
            http://www.lostpassword.com/wordperfect.htm
            http://www.crackpassword.com/products/detail.php?ID=86&phrase_id=5357115
            --
            Kevin O. Lepard, MD, PhD, FACEP, FAAEM

            Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.
          • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2008
              > clicking the file opened NeoOffice
              > with a blank document. The document window had the
              > document's title, but no content.

              Jerry, Mike, Pam, and John, I just created a password-protected doc in
              WP, then tried to open it: first in NeoOffice, which resulted in an
              unintelligible hash of characters; then in CanOpener 5 (a very useful
              utility for getting the text out of nearly any kind of file, including
              corrupted ones), which yielded a larger unintelligible hash.
              Non-encrypted WP docs open as they should in CanOpener, though with what
              I take to be formatting codes mixed into the text as extra characters.
              Guess it's good to know we've got such strong encryption in WP. Hope
              Jerry can figure out his old password(s). Tom
            • pjandlar
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2008
                Tom,

                It's interesting that when you used NeoOffice to open
                the password-protected WP doc, you got hash, but
                when I did I got a blank file. I wonder why? My protected
                WP file had no content other than "This is a test"
                repeated a few times. Was yours longer? Mine initially
                had .wpd as its extension. I changed it to .txt, and
                NeoOffice asked me about ASCII characters and then
                displayed a few lines of ##### preceded by WPC and
                followed by PRT and some other characters - perhaps
                the #### was a stand-in for protected text? I tried
                .doc and no extension, and NeoOffice inconsistently
                either displayed the same #### or crashed.

                Either way, the password protection seemed to have worked.

                Pam

                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D." <TJRostaf@...>
                wrote:

                > > clicking the file opened NeoOffice
                > > with a blank document. The document window had the
                > > document's title, but no content.
                >
                > Jerry, Mike, Pam, and John, I just created a password-protected doc in
                > WP, then tried to open it: first in NeoOffice, which resulted in an
                > unintelligible hash of characters; then in CanOpener 5 (a very useful
                > utility for getting the text out of nearly any kind of file, including
                > corrupted ones), which yielded a larger unintelligible hash.
                > Non-encrypted WP docs open as they should in CanOpener, though with what
                > I take to be formatting codes mixed into the text as extra characters.
                > Guess it's good to know we've got such strong encryption in WP. Hope
                > Jerry can figure out his old password(s). Tom

              • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
                  On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 09:10:31PM -0600, Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D. wrote:
                  > Jerry, Mike, Pam, and John, I just created a password-protected doc in
                  > WP, then tried to open it: first in NeoOffice, which resulted in an
                  > unintelligible hash of characters; then in CanOpener 5 (a very useful
                  > utility for getting the text out of nearly any kind of file, including
                  > corrupted ones), which yielded a larger unintelligible hash.
                  > Non-encrypted WP docs open as they should in CanOpener, though with what
                  > I take to be formatting codes mixed into the text as extra characters.
                  > Guess it's good to know we've got such strong encryption in WP. Hope
                  > Jerry can figure out his old password(s). Tom

                  WordPerfect used DES encryption in the U.S. versions and a weaker
                  encryption algorythm in the export versions. This is becuase at
                  the time it was illegal to export DES programs.

                  This was also part marketing, because it made buying a copy in the
                  U.S. where it was cheaper (or in some cases dongle-free) and taking
                  it ouverseas a federal crime.

                  If you consider that a brute force (trying every possible key) attack
                  on a DES encrypted file was impossible to do in your lifetime on a 486
                  PC or 68040 macintosh, you can imagine how quickly it can be done on a
                  modern computer.

                  I don't know if anyone has actually done it, but writing a program
                  to do this would not be impossible, nor would running it.

                  Geoff.

                  --
                  Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@... N3OWJ/4X1GM
                  IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
                    As a member of wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com who follows the
                    discussion daily, I still don't understand why the people who now own
                    Corel won't produce an updated version of WordPerfect for Macs. Since
                    they do it for PCs, and the market share of Macs is growing, it would
                    seem to make good business sense.

                    Can Mike Hendriksen give us some information about this?

                    Peter Derrick