Getting a ROM

  • hhelenhh48
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2008
      Hi folks, I have tried to get going on Sheepshaver on my MacPro, but I
      am stymied by the ROM! I have tried to access the Mac OS ROM Update
      1.0 from apple,using tomeviewer, but I get the message that classic is
      no longer supported. I can't get the ROM without having classic
      installed and I can't get classic installed without the ROM. I don't
      have an old mac to get the ROM from...is there any other way to get
      the ROM so I can install Sheepshaver? I want to use Metacreations
      Painter 6 on my intel Mac, running 10.5.2. (I do have the most current
      version of Painter, but the watercolor on Painter 6 are superb and
      have not been duplicated on any of Corel's versions of the software)
      Thanks for any help you can give me!
      helen
    • Daly Jessup
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 28, 2008
        Helen wrote:

        >Hi folks, I have tried to get going on Sheepshaver on my MacPro, but I
        am stymied by the ROM!

        Maybe you are not using the latest installer. Try going to:

        </links/SheepShaver_001167597845/>

        then click "Links" in the left column.
        then "SheepShaver and Basilsk" on the right (currently the third link
        down the list)
        then at the bottom of that page, is a link for
        "SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install 1.1"
        That's the one you probably want. It includes a simple installer and
        a few simple configuration commands explained in an illustrated
        ReadMe file.

        (The author has asked that pepole not publish direct links to the
        site to try to prevent spam being sent to that location, which is why
        I described the path rather than just publishing it.)

        Daly
        ----------------------
      • hhelenhh48
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2008
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Daly Jessup <daly@...> wrote:

          > Helen wrote:
          >
          > >Hi folks, I have tried to get going on Sheepshaver on my MacPro, but I
          > am stymied by the ROM!
          >
          > Maybe you are not using the latest installer. Try going to:
          >
          > </links/SheepShaver_001167597845/>
          >
          > then click "Links" in the left column.
          > then "SheepShaver and Basilsk" on the right (currently the third link
          > down the list)
          > then at the bottom of that page, is a link for
          > "SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install 1.1"
          > That's the one you probably want. It includes a simple installer and
          > a few simple configuration commands explained in an illustrated
          > ReadMe file.
          >
          > (The author has asked that pepole not publish direct links to the
          > site to try to prevent spam being sent to that location, which is why
          > I described the path rather than just publishing it.)
          >
          > Daly
          > ----------------------

          I am downloading it right now and will attempt installing again. The
          last time I tried to install though, the instructions said I needed a
          ROM first...which is where I am stymied....the ROM has to come from an
          older mac or the mac rom update and I can't get to the first and the
          latter won't open without having classic or OS 9.
          Thanks,
          Helen
        • Daly Jessup
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2008
            Helen wrote:

            >I am downloading it right now and will attempt installing again. The
            >last time I tried to install though, the instructions said I needed a
            >ROM first...which is where I am stymied....the ROM has to come from an
            >older mac or the mac rom update and I can't get to the first and the
            >latter won't open without having classic or OS 9.

            You will find that this download gives you everything you need. Even
            a simple installer that does almost all the work for you. Just use
            the PDF file that tells how to set a few easy preferences the first
            time you open the application. You will be pleased.

            Now, if only I could get SheepShaver to stop crashing almost every
            time I try printing!)
            Daly
          • pjandlar
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2008
              Perhaps the confusion here is the source for your download.
              Downloading the Sheepshaver-WordPerfect Install 1.1
              from this site gives you everything you need, including the
              ROM. Downloading Sheepshaver from sheepshaver's site
              doesn't, or at least didn't last time I looked.
              Pam