Three or four questions about John's Sheepshaver

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2008
      John,

      I've borrowed an Intel Mac for a while and immediately set up your new
      Sheepshaver version, which is terrific. A few small questions:

      1. The Apple Menu includes a WordPerfect item. When I click on it,
      I'm prompted to insert the disk SheepShaver. What is supposed to
      happen?

      2. I'd like to restore the default System 7 startup logo. I assume that
      you've hacked a system file somewhere to put in the SheepShaver
      logo - but which file?

      3. The installation instructions: you say to type in some fields as in
      the screen shots of the Prefs program, but for a couple of items, the
      screenshots don't show the full paths that we're supposed to type.
      I figured it all out, but beginners might need the details.

      4. Also in the installation instructions. Your description of printing
      doesn't match what actually happens. The driver is Adobe PS, and
      the button says Save, not OK, and I have to navigate to the correct
      print folder every time. I seem to remember that there's a way around
      this, but it would be good to have it specified.

      5. I figured out that the way to turn off the disk check during startup
      was to go into the System folder and move SS Startup from "Startup
      Items" to "Startup Items (Disabled)". I'm posting this here because
      other people have asked about it. Unfortunately, Sheepshaver still
      isn't stable enough to make it safe to avoid the disk check.

      Thanks again for this terrific job.

      Edward
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2008
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...>
        wrote:

        > 1. The Apple Menu includes a WordPerfect item. When I click on it,
        > I'm prompted to insert the disk SheepShaver. What is supposed to
        > happen?

        WP is supposed to come to the front. The item is simply an
        alias; somewhere in the update to v. 1.1 it became disconnected
        from the application file.

        > 2. I'd like to restore the default System 7 startup logo. I assume that
        > you've hacked a system file somewhere to put in the SheepShaver
        > logo - but which file?

        System. The easiest way to do a startup logo is put whatever
        you want in a picture, save it as PICT and give it a resource ID of
        0, name the file "StartupScreen" and put it in the System folder.
        Several Classic graphic programs automate this for you.

        > 3. The installation instructions: you say to type in some fields as in
        > the screen shots of the Prefs program, but for a couple of items, the
        > screenshots don't show the full paths that we're supposed to type.
        > I figured it all out, but beginners might need the details.

        Thanks for the pointer. Since releasing v. 1.1 I've also learned that
        you can drag icons into the Prefs' text entry boxes, to enter the
        path. I'll update the insructions with all this.

        > 4. Also in the installation instructions. Your description of printing
        > doesn't match what actually happens. The driver is Adobe PS, and
        > the button says Save, not OK, and I have to navigate to the correct
        > print folder every time. I seem to remember that there's a way around
        > this, but it would be good to have it specified.

        I'll update that too.

        > 5. I figured out that the way to turn off the disk check during startup
        > was to go into the System folder and move SS Startup from "Startup
        > Items" to "Startup Items (Disabled)". I'm posting this here because
        > other people have asked about it. Unfortunately, Sheepshaver still
        > isn't stable enough to make it safe to avoid the disk check.

        SS is very reliable for me, but the disk check doesn't hurt (for OSX
        either; see my Verify Startup Disk, free in the Files section here).
        I have Macaroni run it every Saturday. I could add that to the code
        itself, as well for the SS disk check. Meanwhile, hitting Return while
        the disk check is underway cancels it and quits Disk First Aid.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 27, 2008
          Sorry, I have trawled through the archives and I am obviously not
          finding the the right search terms. I have upgraded to 1.1 and there
          was a discussion some time ago about how to create a larger
          Sheepshaver volume and then how to copy everything across from the
          volume supplied. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

          Thanks

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2008

            > Sorry, I have trawled through the archives and I am obviously not
            > finding the the right search terms. I have upgraded to 1.1 and there
            > was a discussion some time ago about how to create a larger
            > Sheepshaver volume and then how to copy everything across from the
            > volume supplied. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

            I'd use SheepShaverGUI to create a volume of whatever size you'd
            like. Disk Utility will work too, but it's easier to make the volume
            bootable with SS GUI. Add this volume to SS's volume list. You
            then have to click Start to effect changes in SS GUI.

            Then quit SS, open the old and new volumes in OSX and drag what
            you need from one to the other.

            Start SS again. It should boot off the old volume and mount the
            new volume too. Find the System Folder on the new volume; it
            should have a badge, like an icon, on it indicating that the OS
            recognizes it as an active System Folder.

            If there's no badge, open the folder and double-click on the Finder
            file. A dialog should say that it's system software and can't be opened.
            OK that and close the folder; you should now see the badge.

            Quit SS, and move the old volume somewhere. Start SS and it
            should boot off the new volume.

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2008
              John

              It worked like a dream. I now have a 1.5Gb Sheepshaver volume running
              8.6. Anyone know if there is still an online updater for 8.6? Usual
              problem that the first time I launch sheepshaver it hides (and turns
              into a document) the Unix Disk, which, because I was forgetful, was
              my entire Home Documents folder. An hour or so later I had retrieved
              its contents, created a new Documents folder and was back to normal -
              Unix is now a subfolder within Documents.

              Like Daly and Tom, Adobe PS crashed Sheepshaver in 8.6. I'm trying
              Laserwriter 8.

              Thanks again

              >> Sorry, I have trawled through the archives and I am obviously not
              >> finding the the right search terms. I have upgraded to 1.1 and there
              >> was a discussion some time ago about how to create a larger
              >> Sheepshaver volume and then how to copy everything across from the
              >> volume supplied. Can anyone point me in the right direction.
              >
              >I'd use SheepShaverGUI to create a volume of whatever size you'd
              >like. Disk Utility will work too, but it's easier to make the volume
              >bootable with SS GUI. Add this volume to SS's volume list. You
              >then have to click Start to effect changes in SS GUI.
              >
              >Then quit SS, open the old and new volumes in OSX and drag what
              >you need from one to the other.
              >
              >Start SS again. It should boot off the old volume and mount the
              >new volume too. Find the System Folder on the new volume; it
              >should have a badge, like an icon, on it indicating that the OS
              >recognizes it as an active System Folder.
              >
              >If there's no badge, open the folder and double-click on the Finder
              >file. A dialog should say that it's system software and can't be opened.
              >OK that and close the folder; you should now see the badge.
              >
              >Quit SS, and move the old volume somewhere. Start SS and it
              >should boot off the new volume.
              >
              >John R.
            • Bob Stern
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
                >John Rethorst wrote:
                >
                >I'd use SheepShaverGUI to create a volume of whatever size you'd
                >like. Disk Utility will work too, but it's easier to make the volume
                >bootable with SS GUI. Add this volume to SS's volume list. You then
                >have to click Start to effect changes in SS GUI.
                >
                >Then quit SS, open the old and new volumes in OSX and drag what you
                >need from one to the other.

                I found that merely mounting the old and new volumes in OS X and
                dragging data from the old volume to the new volume somehow created a
                problem in the old volume. Although OS X Disk Utility said both
                problems needed no repairs, OS 7 Disk First Aid said both volumes had
                a B-Tree error that it could not repair.

                I then trashed both volumes, reinstalled the volume from John's SS
                installer 1.1, created a new volume in SheepShaver GUI, launched SS,
                and copied the contents of the original volume to the new volume
                within SS OS. It was 3 times slower than copying within OS X, but it
                created no errors in Disk First Aid. After removing the old volume
                SS GUI, I successfully booted into the new volume.

                On a related topic, I confirmed that OS 7.5 cannot handle "sparse
                image" disk images. If you try to add one within SS GUI, when you
                launch SS the OS 7.5 Finder will say the disk is unreadable and will
                offer to erase and initialize it. Does anyone remember what was the
                first version of MacOS that could recognize "sparse image" disk
                images?

                Caution: I found that selecting a new Startup Disk in the OS 7.5
                Startup Disk control panel crashes SheepShaver. It may be prudent to
                remove it from the Control Panels folder.
                --

                Bob Stern