Re: [wpmac] 10.5?

  • Daly Jessup
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 23 6:21 PM
      >For what it's worth, SheepShaver runs perfectly on my G5 iMac under
      >10.5.1 and so does WP.

      I'm excited about it. This morning I finally got around to installing
      John's version 1.1. I was as easy as advertised, just wonderful, and
      fast.

      HOWEVER, the printing is not working for me. I did clean out every
      piece of SheepShaver and reinstalled it four times this morning, each
      time being ever more careful to follow instructions in every single
      detail. But when I would type a few words in Word Perfect and then go
      to File/Print, it would bring up the Adobe PS print setup, then I
      would click Save, and then I would get a file dialog, and steer to
      Unix/SheepShaver print folder.

      I tried selecting that two ways: either selecting that folder, or by
      opening that folder and then saving. Either way, I succeeded in
      actually saving a .ps file about one time in four. The rest of the
      time it would pretend to be saving but then crash and nothing would
      have been saved. OR it would save a postscript file but then
      instantly crash SheepShaver with no warning or anything. Other times,
      I would use File/Print and get an endlessly spinning colored wheel
      ("SPOD") and have to force quit.

      My default printer is an Apple LaserWriter 1600/600 black and white
      laser printer. It doesn't show up in the Chooser under System 7.5. I
      tried updating to 7.6 but at the end of a fairly long install was
      told that the software isn't compatible with this model of Mac.

      Anyway, one or twice out of endless attempts, I actually succeeded in
      saving my file as a postscript file that I was able to double click
      in OS X, open in Preview and print to my printer. I NEVER had an
      option to print to the printer directly.

      Except for this rather important issue, I think this SheepShaver
      install is brilliant and beautiful, and I would love for it to work.
      But without any printing capability at all, it's not going to cut it.

      Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any suggestions for a solution?

      Daly

      2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB RAM, 24" screen, OS X 10.4.11,
      NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT video, wired Apple mouse and keyboard.