Re: Rebuilding desktop in SheepShaver (was: A couple of SS observations)

  • hnd101
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 19, 2008
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@...>
      > Yes, I've tried that without any success. But I did discover that
      if an
      > application in the Unix
      > folder was running, if I tried to open a document belonging to that
      > application (e.g., WP or
      > Framemaker were two I tried) the application did open the document
      > properly.

      I've been wondering about this issue... I suspect SheepShaver mounts
      the Unix folder as a foreign-file-format drive, in the same way as it
      would mount a Windows drive. That means that files on it would not
      have the Mac-standard data fork/resource fork structure. On a Windows
      drive (if writable) the resource material for each visible folder is
      kept organised by two invisible folders in it (warning to hackers:
      these folders are created if you so much as open the visible folder
      and are a dead giveaway that some Mac user has been poking around in
      the Windows filing system).

      One of the invisible folders is an extension for the Finder database
      and maps the files to their parent applications using the four-letter
      Creator code. This means that such files (including applications,
      which all have the same "APPL" Type code and their own Creator code)
      can be opened with a double click and will show up as "Excel document"
      or "application program" or whatever rather than just generic "document".

      Probably this applies to Unix drives also.

      I presume that when you double-click an application on an f-f-f drive
      (or any other drive for that matter) its own four-letter code is
      added to a temporary Finder extension file for applications-in-memory,
      so that opening one of its files will call on the
      application-in-memory rather than running a second copy of the
      application from wherever it was stored. This means that the fact that
      the Finder database doesn't KNOW where the application is stored does
      not matter. It does look as if the data for f-f-f drives is not added
      to the Finder database permanently.

      If so, what could one do about it?

      Various things MIGHT work...

      ... Make an alias for the application and leave it on the (SS) desktop.
      ... ... Does it work if you double-click it?
      ... ... Does it work by drag-and-drop? (Drag your file on to the alias
      - it should work like dragging to Trash if it works at all)
      ... ... Can you now double-click to open your file after you quit the
      application?
      ... Edit the Finder database by hand (I've forgotten how this works,
      but it's not nice)
      ... Use Macintosh Easy Open/PC Exchange etc to set up a Finder link
      (might be easier, but I've forgotten how)

      ... must experiment when I have time.

      Bye
      Hugh