Re: [wpmac] Re: off topic but I need help again

  • Rick Albright
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 15, 2008
      On Feb 15, 2008, at 6:49 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:
      > -Google is ALWAYS your friend. Search
      >
      > pdf encryption
      >
      > or similar topics. Always go to Google first.

      Unless you live in one of a number of countries where Google
      routinely censors their search engine results: China immediately
      comes to mind. A search of "Tiananmen Square," for example, returns
      articles about the massacre, and a number of famous images such as
      the student facing down a line of tanks (espec. if you search with
      the images option). However, if you do the same search from China
      (and you can actually access the Chinese version of Google from the
      US), and you'll see ads for travel companies, and nice, pleasant
      pictures. Massacre? What massacre? Let Google help your repressive
      regime keep information from its citizens. "Do no evil"?

      It's also worth noting that Google's ranking of search results favors
      not just its paid advertisers, but sites that have the most links
      (which is one reason that the interesting but highly suspect
      Wikipedia often shows up at or near the top of the results).
      “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
      --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
      from Pink Floyd, The Wall
      Rick Albright
      logres@...