Re: [wpmac] off topic but I need help again

  • Mike Robbins
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 15, 2008
      Anyone interested in this topic may want to think twice about
      password protection. There apparently are many ways of hacking the
      security feature of PDFs. Take a look at some of the hits on a Google
      search to-

      hacking pdf encryption

      If you find a safe method of password protection, I too would be
      interested.

      -Mike

      On Feb 15, 2008, at 7:55 AM, Nancy Hyden Woodward wrote:

      > Can you point me to which forum I should go to get help using the PDF
      > "system" that came with Tiger.
      > Someone e-mailed me yesterday (I was shopping around for an PDF
      > programme that would work for a Mac) that Tiger has it.
      > Lo and behold, it does, with no mention of it in the manual.
      > I would like to find out how to limit sale of an ebook to one
      > download per person.
      > Thanks.
      > Nancy

    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 15, 2008
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Hyden Woodward <villars@...> wrote:

        > Can you point me to which forum I should go to get help using the PDF

        Google is ALWAYS your friend. Search

        pdf encryption

        or similar topics. Always go to Google first.
      • Rick Albright
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 15, 2008
          On Feb 15, 2008, at 6:49 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:
          > -Google is ALWAYS your friend. Search
          >
          > pdf encryption
          >
          > or similar topics. Always go to Google first.

          Unless you live in one of a number of countries where Google
          routinely censors their search engine results: China immediately
          comes to mind. A search of "Tiananmen Square," for example, returns
          articles about the massacre, and a number of famous images such as
          the student facing down a line of tanks (espec. if you search with
          the images option). However, if you do the same search from China
          (and you can actually access the Chinese version of Google from the
          US), and you'll see ads for travel companies, and nice, pleasant
          pictures. Massacre? What massacre? Let Google help your repressive
          regime keep information from its citizens. "Do no evil"?

          It's also worth noting that Google's ranking of search results favors
          not just its paid advertisers, but sites that have the most links
          (which is one reason that the interesting but highly suspect
          Wikipedia often shows up at or near the top of the results).
          “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
          --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
          from Pink Floyd, The Wall
          Rick Albright
          logres@...