PPC and SS 1.1

  • davesallee
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 10, 2008
      I have not been able to load SS 1.1 on my PPC MacMini with Leopard
      installed. Is it possible to do so? If so, what do I need and where
      can I find them?

      David Sallee
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 11, 2008
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "davesallee" <LebMoLaw@...> wrote:

        > I have not been able to load SS 1.1 on my PPC MacMini with Leopard
        > installed. Is it possible to do so? If so, what do I need and where
        > can I find them?

        It's certainly possible, and everything you need is included in
        the download. What happens when you try to install?

        John R.
      • davesallee
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 12, 2008
          I tried on my G5 operating under Tiger 10.4.11 and got the same result.

          The screen comes up out of the installer and says

          Can't set <<class cfol>> "Folder Action Scripts" of <<class cfol>>
          "Scripts" of <<class cfol>> "Library" of <<class cfol>>
          "MyDriveName:Users:myname:" of application "Finder" to file "Print&PDF
          Folder Iterms.scpt" of <<class cfol>>
          "MyDriveName:Users:myname:Desktop:SS-WP 1

          Any ideas?

          David Sallee

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "davesallee" LebMoLaw@ wrote:
          > >
          > > I have not been able to load SS 1.1 on my PPC MacMini with Leopard
          > > installed. Is it possible to do so? If so, what do I need and
          where
          > > can I find them?
          >
          > It's certainly possible, and everything you need is included in
          > the download. What happens when you try to install?
          >
          > John R.

        • Daryl Chinn
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 13, 2008
            I have a PPC G4 Late Powerbook, 10.4.11, and I run WP
            under Classic. If you have Classic, you shouldn't
            have to install Sheepsaver and then WP. Have you
            tried that?

            Leopard is another situation, since it does not run
            Classic, nor do any Intel machines.

            I haven't heard stories of people using Leopard and
            then rebooting in 9.x. I thought I had heard that one
            could do that in Leopard, but I haven't seen anything
            about that after the early publicity. Sorry about all
            the rumors in this.

            Daryl

            --- davesallee <LebMoLaw@...> wrote:

            > I tried on my G5 operating under Tiger 10.4.11 and
            > got the same result.
            >
            > The screen comes up out of the installer and says
            >
            > Can't set <<class cfol>> "Folder Action Scripts" of
            > <<class cfol>>
            > "Scripts" of <<class cfol>> "Library" of <<class
            > cfol>>
            > "MyDriveName:Users:myname:" of application "Finder"
            > to file "Print&PDF
            > Folder Iterms.scpt" of <<class cfol>>
            > "MyDriveName:Users:myname:Desktop:SS-WP 1
            >
            > Any ideas?
            >
            > David Sallee
            >

            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John
            > Rethorst" <jrethorst@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com,
            > "davesallee" LebMoLaw@ wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I have not been able to load SS 1.1 on my PPC
            > MacMini with Leopard
            > > > installed. Is it possible to do so? If so,
            > what do I need and
            > where
            > > > can I find them?
            > >
            > > It's certainly possible, and everything you need
            > is included in
            > > the download. What happens when you try to
            > install?
            > >
            > > John R.

          • Edward Mendelson
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 13, 2008
              The question of whether or not a PowerPC Mac can
              boot into OS 9 (as opposed to running Classic in
              OS X) depends on the machine's hardware - not
              on whether Leopard or Tiger is something else is
              running.

              The last PowerBooks that could boot into OS 9
              were the Titanium models. The aluminum models
              cannot boot into OS 9 (but they can run Classic
              under OS X).

              The last iBooks that could boot into OS 9 were
              the iBook G3 models.

              As for other machines,the only way to get a
              reliable answer is to search Apple's site. A
              Google search for

              boot "os 9" site:apple.com

              should yield useful facts.

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Daryl Chinn <darylngee@...> wrote:

              > I have a PPC G4 Late Powerbook, 10.4.11, and I run WP
              > under Classic. If you have Classic, you shouldn't
              > have to install Sheepsaver and then WP. Have you
              > tried that?
              >
              > Leopard is another situation, since it does not run
              > Classic, nor do any Intel machines.
              >
              > I haven't heard stories of people using Leopard and
              > then rebooting in 9.x. I thought I had heard that one
              > could do that in Leopard, but I haven't seen anything
              > about that after the early publicity. Sorry about all
              > the rumors in this.
              >
              > Daryl
              >
              > --- davesallee <LebMoLaw@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I tried on my G5 operating under Tiger 10.4.11 and
              > > got the same result.
              > >
              > > The screen comes up out of the installer and says
              > >
              > > Can't set <<class cfol>> "Folder Action Scripts" of
              > > <<class cfol>>
              > > "Scripts" of <<class cfol>> "Library" of <<class
              > > cfol>>
              > > "MyDriveName:Users:myname:" of application "Finder"
              > > to file "Print&PDF
              > > Folder Iterms.scpt" of <<class cfol>>
              > > "MyDriveName:Users:myname:Desktop:SS-WP 1
              > >
              > > Any ideas?
              > >
              > > David Sallee
              > >

              > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John
              > > Rethorst" <jrethorst@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com,

              > > MacMini with Leopard
              > > what do I need and
              > > where
              > > >
              > > > It's certainly possible, and everything you need
              > > is included in
              > > > the download. What happens when you try to
              > > install?
              > > >
              > > > John R.

            • Gregory Sigman
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 13, 2008
                >I haven't heard stories of people using Leopard and
                >then rebooting in 9.x. I thought I had heard that one
                >could do that in Leopard, but I haven't seen anything
                >about that after the early publicity. Sorry about all
                >the rumors in this.
                >
                >Daryl

                It's possible, but only if you're running one of the very limited
                number of machines that meet Apple's specs for Leopard while still
                being old enough to be OS 9 bootable. A handful of G4 models, in
                other words.

                Greg
              • Daryl Chinn
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 13, 2008
                  This page, from apple/support:

                  (read carefully!)

                  talks about installing and running Classic and for
                  what machines. My late PB G4 does not boot in Classic
                  (as my Titanium does), but it does run Classic under
                  10.4.11 and therefore runs my WP 3.5e. No need for
                  Sheepsaver.

                  Daryl

                  --- Edward Mendelson <emendelson@...>

                • davesallee
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 13, 2008
                    I have confused the topic for you all. My real issue is that I am not
                    able to get SS 1.1 to install on my PPC Mac Mini with Leopard installed.
                    I get the following message from the installer

                    Can't set <<class cfol>> "Folder Action Scripts" of <<class cfol>>
                    "Scripts" of <<class cfol>> "Library" of <<class cfol>>
                    "MyDriveName:Users:myname:" of application "Finder" to file "Print&PDF
                    Folder Iterms.scpt" of <<class cfol>>
                    "MyDriveName:Users:myname:Desktop:SS-WP 1

                    I apologize for the confusion created by my post concerning my attempt
                    to install on my G5. My only reason for doing so was to point out that
                    the same message was returned. Sorry about that.

                    David Sallee

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 13, 2008
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "davesallee" <LebMoLaw@...> wrote:

                      > I have confused the topic for you all. My real issue is that I am not
                      > able to get SS 1.1 to install on my PPC Mac Mini with Leopard installed.
                      > I get the following message from the installer
                      >
                      > Can't set <<class cfol>> "Folder Action Scripts" of <<class cfol>>
                      > "Scripts" of <<class cfol>> "Library" of <<class cfol>>
                      > "MyDriveName:Users:myname:" of application "Finder" to file "Print&PDF
                      > Folder Iterms.scpt" of <<class cfol>>
                      > "MyDriveName:Users:myname:Desktop:SS-WP 1

                      Go to your User Library (the Library folder within your Home folder).
                      Does the Library folder contain a folder named Scripts? If so, does
                      that contain a folder named "Folder Action Scripts"? If not, make
                      those folders and run the installer again. It's supposed to make
                      those folders and I don't know why it didn't. Let us know again if
                      you already do have folders with those names.

                      John R.
                    • ted_m_p_lee
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 13, 2008
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Sigman <sigman@...> wrote:

                        > >I haven't heard stories of people using Leopard and
                        > >then rebooting in 9.x. I thought I had heard that one
                        > >could do that in Leopard, but I haven't seen anything
                        > >about that after the early publicity. Sorry about all
                        > >the rumors in this.
                        > >
                        > >Daryl
                        >
                        > It's possible, but only if you're running one of the very limited
                        > number of machines that meet Apple's specs for Leopard while still
                        > being old enough to be OS 9 bootable. A handful of G4 models, in
                        > other words.
                        >
                        > Greg

                        It actually does work. I have a G4 that seems to have just enough oomph to run Leopard.
                        I'd installed Leopard on a separate partition on an external drive and was able to boot the
                        G4 from that just fine. (The drive's needed for something else so I couldn't keep it
                        attached to the G4.) I was still able to boot into Tiger or OS 9 from the hard drive on the
                        G4. (I can't install Leopard on the drive itself - not enough room left.) It actually was kind
                        of cool when I went to the start up drive panel to find something like a half-dozen
                        different systems I could have booted into! (because I'd backed up clones of the other
                        machines in our home network on separate partitions of that external drive.)

                        Ted Lee
                        Minnetonka, MN
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 14, 2008

                          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "davesallee" <LebMoLaw@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I have confused the topic for you all. My real issue is that I am not
                          > > able to get SS 1.1 to install on my PPC Mac Mini with Leopard installed.
                          > > I get the following message from the installer
                          > >
                          > > Can't set <<class cfol>> "Folder Action Scripts" of <<class cfol>>
                          > > "Scripts" of <<class cfol>> "Library" of <<class cfol>>
                          > > "MyDriveName:Users:myname:" of application "Finder" to file "Print&PDF
                          > > Folder Iterms.scpt" of <<class cfol>>
                          > > "MyDriveName:Users:myname:Desktop:SS-WP 1

                          Is your boot disk named "MyDriveName"? Is your user account/
                          Home folder named "myname"? If not, what are they named?

                          John R.
                        • davesallee
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 15, 2008
                            John,

                            Thank you for your help! As usual you gave and/or inspired the answer.
                            When you mentioned in an earlier post to see if the files were being
                            created, I checked the file sharing privileges and sure enough they were
                            set to read only. Don't know why, but we found the answer. I changed
                            them to Read/Write and the install went flawlessly.

                            I had used "MyDriveName" as a generic. Thanks for the wonderful
                            assistance you give everyone on this site.