Re: [wpmac] Re: Is it possible to use newer version WP docs in SheepShaver?

  • Judyth
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 10, 2008
      "John Rethorst" jrethorst@... wrote:
      >>Don't quote me, but I gather there's been a major file format change
      >>between Word Mac 2004 and 2008, the latter format being XML-based.
      >>
      >>The fun part of that, if it's true, is that XML structure is strongly
      >>reminiscent of WP Mac's structure, so it just might be fairly easy to
      >>write a WPMac <-> Word Mac 2008 conversion.

      Yes, sort of but...

      As "Geoff Gilbert" Geoff@... said,
      >If Microsoft hasn't implemented a proprietary version of XML, that
      >conversion should be less effort than to the present .doc format.

      But *of course* they've implemented a non-standard proprietary format deceptively named OOXML (for "Open Office XML"), for which they've been trying -- and fortunately failing thus far -- to obtain recognition as a new international standard.

      The OOXML "standard" document Microsoft published to that end runs over 800 pages in length and is full of things like "handle blahblah the way Word 97 does it" where the "way Word 97 does it" is proprietary code that isn't published. One could easily infer that that's the whole point: to replace an open standard everyone can use with a not-really-open "standard" over which only Microsoft has full control.

      I could say a lot more about this if anyone were really interested but there are lots of other places where it's discussed in detail and any search engine could find them with the keywords "OOXML" "standard" and "proprietary".

      Anyway, the upshot is that there are already some third-party conversion utilities out there but it's not realistic to expect them to work 100%.

      >Word for Windows' .docx format is incompatible with Word for Mac
      >2004. However, Word for Mac 2008 can read Word for Mac 2004 .doc
      >format and Word for Windows .doc format without a hitch. No testing
      >as yet, but Word for Mac 2008 is supposed to read the new Word for
      >Windows .docx format, too.

      However, by all accounts Word for Mac 2008 is still very buggy and even people who want to pay Microsoft for it might want to wait for the upcoming (March?) service pack.

      Microsoft does offer a partial solution to Office 2004 users: see
      http://mac4translators.blogspot.com/2007/12/office-2007-files-docx-xlsx-pptx-on-mac_21.html

      For what it's worth, OpenOffice.org 3.0 is promising OOXML support. How good it will be at dealing with non-standard formatting issues I do not know.

      In the meantime, Panergy Ltd. makes a DocxConverter that seems to work.

      HTH,

      Judyth

      Judyth Mermelstein "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
      Montreal, QC <judyth.mermelstein@...>
      Canada H4G 1J4 <lapomme@...>
      "A word to the wise is sufficient. For others, use more."
      "Un mot suffit aux sages; pour les autres, il en faut plus."
    • Nick Spencer
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 11, 2008
        Phillip Jones wrote:-

        One thing to look out for VBA for Mac has had a Stake put in it. its
        dead. So Macro Recorder and any Macros depending on VBA will not work on
        a Mac under Office2008

        Note however; Office 2004 will work very nicely under Rosetta on an
        Intel mac just fine and VBA still works.

        So My advice is buy the new 2008 for new features and fast performance
        on a Intel Mac, but keep 2004 around for VBA compatibility. among things
        that have died in Excel as a result of VBA removal is Solver.

        I've had VBA and macros turned off since word95 days. So the removal
        hasn't bothered me. They were turned of then because , back then people
        wrote code that could erase your hard drive, or physically damage the
        drive or files on either platform at the time. so I turned it off then
        and never looked back.

        I am not sure where you are based, but last month in the UK. I bought
        Office 2004 for £263. The Mac retailer gave me a voucher from
        Microsoft to upgrade to Office 2008 for £15.90. The good thing is that
        the upgrade is to the Office 200 Special Media Edition that retails
        for £450 (?). The information on the voucher says the scheme is valid
        to March 31. Also, the guy who sold it to me, who said he had been on
        a Mac Microsoft Software Training Course, said you that you could
        legally install the same copy of Office 2004 on one desktop and one
        laptop (though I don't think you were entitled to use the software on
        the two machines at the same time). However, given this, you could
        then upgrade one of the installations to Office 2008 and leave one at
        2004...the best of both worlds.

        I have never heard of this permitted dual installation before, but the
        shop I bought it from, Mikroanvika of Tottenham Court Road in London,
        have had this Mac only store for what, ten years or so, and they are
        Mac savvy.

        Regards,
        Nick
      • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 11, 2008
          Most *major* software vendor have in their EULA (License) that you have
          the right to one copy of the application(s) on one Desktop, One Laptop
          and in the case of Office one network installation provided the items in
          question belong to you. You may not under any circumstances allow more
          than one installation run at any one time. In other word you can allow
          it to only work on the Desktop, or the Laptop, or the network install;
          at any one time.

          If you want to install on a network where there will be more than one
          person use it then you must by a Multi-user license.

          Nick Spencer wrote:

          > Phillip Jones wrote:-
          >
          > One thing to look out for VBA for Mac has had a Stake put in it. its
          > dead. So Macro Recorder and any Macros depending on VBA will not work on
          > a Mac under Office2008
          >
          > Note however; Office 2004 will work very nicely under Rosetta on an
          > Intel mac just fine and VBA still works.
          >
          > So My advice is buy the new 2008 for new features and fast performance
          > on a Intel Mac, but keep 2004 around for VBA compatibility. among things
          > that have died in Excel as a result of VBA removal is Solver.
          >
          > I've had VBA and macros turned off since word95 days. So the removal
          > hasn't bothered me. They were turned of then because , back then people
          > wrote code that could erase your hard drive, or physically damage the
          > drive or files on either platform at the time. so I turned it off then
          > and never looked back.

          > I am not sure where you are based, but last month in the UK. I bought
          > Office 2004 for £263. The Mac retailer gave me a voucher from
          > Microsoft to upgrade to Office 2008 for £15.90. The good thing is that
          > the upgrade is to the Office 200 Special Media Edition that retails
          > for £450 (?). The information on the voucher says the scheme is valid
          > to March 31. Also, the guy who sold it to me, who said he had been on
          > a Mac Microsoft Software Training Course, said you that you could
          > legally install the same copy of Office 2004 on one desktop and one
          > laptop (though I don't think you were entitled to use the software on
          > the two machines at the same time). However, given this, you could
          > then upgrade one of the installations to Office 2008 and leave one at
          > 2004...the best of both worlds.
          >
          > I have never heard of this permitted dual installation before, but the
          > shop I bought it from, Mikroanvika of Tottenham Court Road in London,
          > have had this Mac only store for what, ten years or so, and they are
          > Mac savvy.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Nick

          If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!