[OT] MS OOXML (was Re: [wpmac] Is it possible to use newer version WP docs in Sh

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10, 2008
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson <smokey.ardisson@...> wrote:

      > If you want to perform a simple conversion from WP-Mac (or some other
      > file format you know the specifications for) to docx, then yes, it's
      > probably easier to write a converter since you can open up a simple
      > docx file in your text editor and learn the basic document structure
      > (rather than reverse-engineering the same in your hex editor).
      >
      > At any rate, this is getting rather far afield from this list ;-)

      Maybe not, since a Word 2008 translator would be useful, and
      insofar as macros could search for XML tags and replace them
      with WP codes, not too hard to do. Going the other way, it would
      not be hard to go from one WP code to the next and write the
      corresponding XML tag at that point in the text. We wouldn't need
      to get into binary format; just work from a list of tags.

      John R.
    • Bob Stern
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 13, 2008
        >John Rethorst wrote:
        >
        >macros could search for XML tags and replace them with WP codes, not
        >too hard to do. Going the other way, it would not be hard to go from
        >one WP code to the next and write the corresponding XML tag at that
        >point in the text. We wouldn't need to get into binary format; just
        >work from a list of tags.

        Inspecting a WordPerfect file in a text editor like Text Wrangler,
        WordPerfect seems to include a lot of incomprehensible binary data
        rather than ASCII tags as in XML or RTF.
        --

        Bob Stern
      • ted_m_p_lee
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2008

          > >John Rethorst wrote:
          > >
          > >macros could search for XML tags and replace them with WP codes, not
          > >too hard to do. Going the other way, it would not be hard to go from
          > >one WP code to the next and write the corresponding XML tag at that
          > >point in the text. We wouldn't need to get into binary format; just
          > >work from a list of tags.
          >

          > Inspecting a WordPerfect file in a text editor like Text Wrangler,
          > WordPerfect seems to include a lot of incomprehensible binary data
          > rather than ASCII tags as in XML or RTF.

          Years ago there was complete documentation available for what
          that "incomprehensible binary data" meant, and it was pretty
          straightforward. I have no idea where that documentation was or is or
          whether it ever got updated as the product evolved. (Believe it or not
          I was a beta tester for WP on the Apple GS -- but I don't think I had
          any proprietary docs.)

          Ted Lee
          Minnetonka, MN