[OT] MS OOXML (was Re: [wpmac] Is it possible to use newer version WP docs in SheepShaver?)

  • Smokey Ardisson
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10, 2008
      On Sat Feb 9, 2008 11:24 pm ((PST)), "Geoff Gilbert" <Geoff@...> wrote:

      >If Microsoft hasn't implemented a proprietary version of XML, that
      >conversion should be less effort than to the present .doc format.

      My understanding is that Microsoft has merely reflected all of the
      bizarre complexities of the the binary format into XML, so that if
      you don't know the ins and outs of the binary format and the code
      that generated it, you're not really much better off.

      E.g., instead of XML like

      <paragraph style="normal" line-height="1.1" border="1.0">text</paragrpah>

      you have

      <paragraph useWP50LineSpacing="true"
      useWord6ParagraphSpacing="true">text</text>

      In other words, to perform a successful conversion, you have to know
      (or reverse-engineer) all of the same quirks as before, and the spec
      doesn't define those behaviors in terms of what "primitive"
      properties and values they take, only describes them
      self-referentially (e.g., "'useWP50LineSpacing' describes a paragraph
      rendered using the line-spacing model from WordPerfect for DOS 5.0").

      If you want to perform a simple conversion from WP-Mac (or some other
      file format you know the specifications for) to docx, then yes, it's
      probably easier to write a converter since you can open up a simple
      docx file in your text editor and learn the basic document structure
      (rather than reverse-engineering the same in your hex editor).

      At any rate, this is getting rather far afield from this list ;-)

      Smokey
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10, 2008
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson <smokey.ardisson@...> wrote:

        > If you want to perform a simple conversion from WP-Mac (or some other
        > file format you know the specifications for) to docx, then yes, it's
        > probably easier to write a converter since you can open up a simple
        > docx file in your text editor and learn the basic document structure
        > (rather than reverse-engineering the same in your hex editor).
        >
        > At any rate, this is getting rather far afield from this list ;-)

        Maybe not, since a Word 2008 translator would be useful, and
        insofar as macros could search for XML tags and replace them
        with WP codes, not too hard to do. Going the other way, it would
        not be hard to go from one WP code to the next and write the
        corresponding XML tag at that point in the text. We wouldn't need
        to get into binary format; just work from a list of tags.

        John R.
      • Bob Stern
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2008
          >John Rethorst wrote:
          >
          >macros could search for XML tags and replace them with WP codes, not
          >too hard to do. Going the other way, it would not be hard to go from
          >one WP code to the next and write the corresponding XML tag at that
          >point in the text. We wouldn't need to get into binary format; just
          >work from a list of tags.

          Inspecting a WordPerfect file in a text editor like Text Wrangler,
          WordPerfect seems to include a lot of incomprehensible binary data
          rather than ASCII tags as in XML or RTF.
          --

          Bob Stern
        • ted_m_p_lee
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 13, 2008

            > >John Rethorst wrote:
            > >
            > >macros could search for XML tags and replace them with WP codes, not
            > >too hard to do. Going the other way, it would not be hard to go from
            > >one WP code to the next and write the corresponding XML tag at that
            > >point in the text. We wouldn't need to get into binary format; just
            > >work from a list of tags.
            >

            > Inspecting a WordPerfect file in a text editor like Text Wrangler,
            > WordPerfect seems to include a lot of incomprehensible binary data
            > rather than ASCII tags as in XML or RTF.

            Years ago there was complete documentation available for what
            that "incomprehensible binary data" meant, and it was pretty
            straightforward. I have no idea where that documentation was or is or
            whether it ever got updated as the product evolved. (Believe it or not
            I was a beta tester for WP on the Apple GS -- but I don't think I had
            any proprietary docs.)

            Ted Lee
            Minnetonka, MN