Re: [wpmac] Re: Is it possible to use newer version WP docs in SheepShaver?

  • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 10, 2008
      One thing to look out for VBA for Mac has had a Stake put in it. its
      dead. So Macro Recorder and any Macros depending on VBA will not work on
      a Mac under Office2008

      Note however; Office 2004 will work very nicely under Rosetta on an
      Intel mac just fine and VBA still works.

      So My advice is buy the new 2008 for new features and fast performance
      on a Intel Mac, but keep 2004 around for VBA compatibility. among things
      that have died in Excel as a result of VBA removal is Solver.

      I've had VBA and macros turned off since word95 days. So the removal
      hasn't bothered me. They were turned of then because , back then people
      wrote code that could erase your hard drive, or physically damage the
      drive or files on either platform at the time. so I turned it off then
      and never looked back.

      Geoff Gilbert wrote:

      > Word for Windows' .docx format is incompatible with Word for Mac
      > 2004. However, Word for Mac 2008 can read Word for Mac 2004 .doc
      > format and Word for Windows .doc format without a hitch. No testing
      > as yet, but Word for Mac 2008 is supposed to read the new Word for
      > Windows .docx format, too.
      >
      > If Microsoft hasn't implemented a proprietary version of XML, that
      > conversion should be less effort than to the present .doc format.
      >
      > Geoff
      >
      > >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com>, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> Word for Windows and Word for Mac formats are identical.
      > >
      > >Don't quote me, but I gather there's been a major file format change
      > >between Word Mac 2004 and 2008, the latter format being XML-based.
      > >
      > >The fun part of that, if it's true, is that XML structure is strongly
      > >reminiscent of WP Mac's structure, so it just might be fairly easy to
      > >write a WPMac <-> Word Mac 2008 conversion.
      > >
      > >John R.
      > >

      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

      If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

      mailto:pjones@...

      <http://www.vpea.org>
    • Judyth
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 10, 2008
        "John Rethorst" jrethorst@... wrote:
        >>Don't quote me, but I gather there's been a major file format change
        >>between Word Mac 2004 and 2008, the latter format being XML-based.
        >>
        >>The fun part of that, if it's true, is that XML structure is strongly
        >>reminiscent of WP Mac's structure, so it just might be fairly easy to
        >>write a WPMac <-> Word Mac 2008 conversion.

        Yes, sort of but...

        As "Geoff Gilbert" Geoff@... said,
        >If Microsoft hasn't implemented a proprietary version of XML, that
        >conversion should be less effort than to the present .doc format.

        But *of course* they've implemented a non-standard proprietary format deceptively named OOXML (for "Open Office XML"), for which they've been trying -- and fortunately failing thus far -- to obtain recognition as a new international standard.

        The OOXML "standard" document Microsoft published to that end runs over 800 pages in length and is full of things like "handle blahblah the way Word 97 does it" where the "way Word 97 does it" is proprietary code that isn't published. One could easily infer that that's the whole point: to replace an open standard everyone can use with a not-really-open "standard" over which only Microsoft has full control.

        I could say a lot more about this if anyone were really interested but there are lots of other places where it's discussed in detail and any search engine could find them with the keywords "OOXML" "standard" and "proprietary".

        Anyway, the upshot is that there are already some third-party conversion utilities out there but it's not realistic to expect them to work 100%.

        >Word for Windows' .docx format is incompatible with Word for Mac
        >2004. However, Word for Mac 2008 can read Word for Mac 2004 .doc
        >format and Word for Windows .doc format without a hitch. No testing
        >as yet, but Word for Mac 2008 is supposed to read the new Word for
        >Windows .docx format, too.

        However, by all accounts Word for Mac 2008 is still very buggy and even people who want to pay Microsoft for it might want to wait for the upcoming (March?) service pack.

        Microsoft does offer a partial solution to Office 2004 users: see
        http://mac4translators.blogspot.com/2007/12/office-2007-files-docx-xlsx-pptx-on-mac_21.html

        For what it's worth, OpenOffice.org 3.0 is promising OOXML support. How good it will be at dealing with non-standard formatting issues I do not know.

        In the meantime, Panergy Ltd. makes a DocxConverter that seems to work.

        HTH,

        Judyth

        Judyth Mermelstein "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
        Montreal, QC <judyth.mermelstein@...>
        Canada H4G 1J4 <lapomme@...>
        "A word to the wise is sufficient. For others, use more."
        "Un mot suffit aux sages; pour les autres, il en faut plus."
      • Nick Spencer
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 11, 2008
          Phillip Jones wrote:-

          One thing to look out for VBA for Mac has had a Stake put in it. its
          dead. So Macro Recorder and any Macros depending on VBA will not work on
          a Mac under Office2008

          Note however; Office 2004 will work very nicely under Rosetta on an
          Intel mac just fine and VBA still works.

          So My advice is buy the new 2008 for new features and fast performance
          on a Intel Mac, but keep 2004 around for VBA compatibility. among things
          that have died in Excel as a result of VBA removal is Solver.

          I've had VBA and macros turned off since word95 days. So the removal
          hasn't bothered me. They were turned of then because , back then people
          wrote code that could erase your hard drive, or physically damage the
          drive or files on either platform at the time. so I turned it off then
          and never looked back.

          I am not sure where you are based, but last month in the UK. I bought
          Office 2004 for £263. The Mac retailer gave me a voucher from
          Microsoft to upgrade to Office 2008 for £15.90. The good thing is that
          the upgrade is to the Office 200 Special Media Edition that retails
          for £450 (?). The information on the voucher says the scheme is valid
          to March 31. Also, the guy who sold it to me, who said he had been on
          a Mac Microsoft Software Training Course, said you that you could
          legally install the same copy of Office 2004 on one desktop and one
          laptop (though I don't think you were entitled to use the software on
          the two machines at the same time). However, given this, you could
          then upgrade one of the installations to Office 2008 and leave one at
          2004...the best of both worlds.

          I have never heard of this permitted dual installation before, but the
          shop I bought it from, Mikroanvika of Tottenham Court Road in London,
          have had this Mac only store for what, ten years or so, and they are
          Mac savvy.

          Regards,
          Nick
        • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 11, 2008
            Most *major* software vendor have in their EULA (License) that you have
            the right to one copy of the application(s) on one Desktop, One Laptop
            and in the case of Office one network installation provided the items in
            question belong to you. You may not under any circumstances allow more
            than one installation run at any one time. In other word you can allow
            it to only work on the Desktop, or the Laptop, or the network install;
            at any one time.

            If you want to install on a network where there will be more than one
            person use it then you must by a Multi-user license.

            Nick Spencer wrote:

            > Phillip Jones wrote:-
            >
            > One thing to look out for VBA for Mac has had a Stake put in it. its
            > dead. So Macro Recorder and any Macros depending on VBA will not work on
            > a Mac under Office2008
            >
            > Note however; Office 2004 will work very nicely under Rosetta on an
            > Intel mac just fine and VBA still works.
            >
            > So My advice is buy the new 2008 for new features and fast performance
            > on a Intel Mac, but keep 2004 around for VBA compatibility. among things
            > that have died in Excel as a result of VBA removal is Solver.
            >
            > I've had VBA and macros turned off since word95 days. So the removal
            > hasn't bothered me. They were turned of then because , back then people
            > wrote code that could erase your hard drive, or physically damage the
            > drive or files on either platform at the time. so I turned it off then
            > and never looked back.

            > I am not sure where you are based, but last month in the UK. I bought
            > Office 2004 for £263. The Mac retailer gave me a voucher from
            > Microsoft to upgrade to Office 2008 for £15.90. The good thing is that
            > the upgrade is to the Office 200 Special Media Edition that retails
            > for £450 (?). The information on the voucher says the scheme is valid
            > to March 31. Also, the guy who sold it to me, who said he had been on
            > a Mac Microsoft Software Training Course, said you that you could
            > legally install the same copy of Office 2004 on one desktop and one
            > laptop (though I don't think you were entitled to use the software on
            > the two machines at the same time). However, given this, you could
            > then upgrade one of the installations to Office 2008 and leave one at
            > 2004...the best of both worlds.
            >
            > I have never heard of this permitted dual installation before, but the
            > shop I bought it from, Mikroanvika of Tottenham Court Road in London,
            > have had this Mac only store for what, ten years or so, and they are
            > Mac savvy.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Nick

            If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!