Rebuilding desktop in SheepShaver (was: A couple of SS observations)

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2008

      > I've learned that it does seem to work well to put either or both
      > applications and data in the Unix folder, rather than on the SS volume.
      > The only problem is, as best I can tell, if the applications are in the Unix
      > folder the desktop database doesn't find them -- so you lose the
      > automatic association between application and data. (It's been so
      > long since I've had a classic system with multiple volumes I don't
      > remember whether it was able to handle them or not.) It's OK to
      > have the data in the Unix folder -- the right app is automatically
      > found. It just doesn't seem to work to have apps there if you want
      > to make use of the creator association. (They execute fine.)

      Have you tried rebuilding the SS desktop after you've put these
      applications in the Unix folder? The best way to do that is use the
      "Desktop Reset" utility in the Utilities folder, restarting afterwards.
      I don't know if that will fix this particular issue. Rebuilding the
      desktop is a good idea every month or so. Being a classic OS and
      all, it also doesn't hurt to restart (i.e. SS, not your machine) every
      few days. Just choose Restart from the Finder's Special menu.

      John R.
    • ted_m_p_lee
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10, 2008

        > Have you tried rebuilding the SS desktop after you've put these
        > applications in the Unix folder? The best way to do that is use the
        > "Desktop Reset" utility in the Utilities folder, restarting afterwards.
        > I don't know if that will fix this particular issue. Rebuilding the
        > desktop is a good idea every month or so. Being a classic OS and
        > all, it also doesn't hurt to restart (i.e. SS, not your machine) every
        > few days. Just choose Restart from the Finder's Special menu.

        Yes, I've tried that without any success. But I did discover that if an application in the Unix
        folder was running, if I tried to open a document belonging to that application (e.g., WP or
        Framemaker were two I tried) the application did open the document properly.

        Ted Lee
        Minnetonka, MN
      • hnd101
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 19, 2008