Re: Sheepshaver sound problem

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 9, 2008
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jktbrook" <jtom@...> wrote:

      > I have a problem with no sound output in my Sheepshaver
      > installation - all else seems to be working OK. Am using a
      > 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo with mac OS 10.5.1.
      >
      > I have tried a host of 'fixes' including trying OS9.0.4 and
      > OS8.5 installations. I have at present settled with the
      > OS9.0.4 install where when I attempt to open the Sound
      > control panel I get a message that 'SndHWUtilitiesLib--
      > AudioNotify' can't be found.

      I'd start over with a clean SheepShaver install from the
      package here. Sound should work at that point. It requires
      the Sound control panel (not Monitors and Sound). Sound
      was not part of the default OS install.

      If you then update OS, keep that Sound control panel, unless
      the more recent OS requires this additional SndHWUtilitiesLib.
      I don't know where to find that, if it's not contained on the
      OS install disks.

      John R.
    • sappngtn
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 13, 2008
        Matt Cannata at the uneasysilence.com board (SheepShaver article
        postings) found a simple solution to this. I'm having the same problem
        with the sound and intend to try this tonight:

        Okay everybody! I've got sound. It was a stupid little tweak that gave
        the sound. In the `Sound' area of the Control Panels, select Output and
        then highlight Built-in. I had scanned through this all before, but I
        just didn't click `Built-in' because I thought that since it was the
        only option on that list it would be set as the default. But no, you
        need to highlight it. Hopefully this will work with Graham's System 9
        CD (iMac bundled). I ended up using a retail version of System 9.0.4
        instead of using his bundled software.
      • sappngtn
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 13, 2008
          Heh. Well, I just realized after trying this fix that of course it won't work,
          because our problem is that the Sound control panel won't even open,
          and this fix involves making changes to the settings INSIDE the control
          panel. Ah well, see if I can find another fix that doesn't involve a reinstall.
        • sappngtn
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 13, 2008
            Here are some other things we can try:

            http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5125&sid=1ea25af335e705f8b44290089de0ada2

            1. Older version of Sound control panel (OS 8.5)
            2. Remove certain extensions
            3. or Use a non-hardware specific ROM (Graham's is specifically for the iMac)
          • sappngtn
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 16, 2008
              Downloading the OS 9.0.4 update from Apple's website and installing
              it overtop the current OS while in SheepShaver fixes part of the problem.
              It gives you a working copy of the Sound Control Panel, but there is
              no "built-in" device listed for the sound output, so there is still no
              sound. But at least you can get into the control panel now.