Re: [wpmac] Is it possible to use newer version WP docs in SheepShaver?

  • Steve Kane
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 9 11:32 AM
      On Feb 9, 2008, at 11:21 AM, rilkefan2000 wrote:

      > If nothing else, I'd like to somehow convert my WP documents
      > to the MS Word format so I can use them in Word for Mac 2008,
      > even though I much prefer Word Perfect to Word!

      MacLinkPlus Deluxe will convert documents of many different formats.
      From one file at a time up to every file (of a kind of your choice)
      on your hard drive.

      PC to Mac MacLinkPlus Mac File Converter allows you to convert
      Windows to Mac.
      <http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/index.html>
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 9 11:40 AM
        Linda

        If your files are WP Windows, convert them to .doc now under Windows.
        Word for Windows and Word for Mac formats are identical. If you are
        getting an Intel Mac, you can buy Parallels or VM Fusion and run
        Windows in virtualization mode in Mac OS X. Alternatively, you can
        set up Boot Camp and boot into Windows as opposed to Mac OS X.

        Geoff

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 9 6:51 PM

          > Word for Windows and Word for Mac formats are identical.

          Don't quote me, but I gather there's been a major file format change
          between Word Mac 2004 and 2008, the latter format being XML-based.

          The fun part of that, if it's true, is that XML structure is strongly
          reminiscent of WP Mac's structure, so it just might be fairly easy to
          write a WPMac <-> Word Mac 2008 conversion.

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 9 11:24 PM
            Word for Windows' .docx format is incompatible with Word for Mac
            2004. However, Word for Mac 2008 can read Word for Mac 2004 .doc
            format and Word for Windows .doc format without a hitch. No testing
            as yet, but Word for Mac 2008 is supposed to read the new Word for
            Windows .docx format, too.

            If Microsoft hasn't implemented a proprietary version of XML, that
            conversion should be less effort than to the present .doc format.

            >> Word for Windows and Word for Mac formats are identical.
            >
            >Don't quote me, but I gather there's been a major file format change
            >between Word Mac 2004 and 2008, the latter format being XML-based.
            >
            >The fun part of that, if it's true, is that XML structure is strongly
            >reminiscent of WP Mac's structure, so it just might be fairly easy to
            >write a WPMac <-> Word Mac 2008 conversion.
            >
            >John R.
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 10 8:57 AM
              One thing to look out for VBA for Mac has had a Stake put in it. its
              dead. So Macro Recorder and any Macros depending on VBA will not work on
              a Mac under Office2008

              Note however; Office 2004 will work very nicely under Rosetta on an
              Intel mac just fine and VBA still works.

              So My advice is buy the new 2008 for new features and fast performance
              on a Intel Mac, but keep 2004 around for VBA compatibility. among things
              that have died in Excel as a result of VBA removal is Solver.

              I've had VBA and macros turned off since word95 days. So the removal
              hasn't bothered me. They were turned of then because , back then people
              wrote code that could erase your hard drive, or physically damage the
              drive or files on either platform at the time. so I turned it off then
              and never looked back.

              Geoff Gilbert wrote:

              > Word for Windows' .docx format is incompatible with Word for Mac
              > 2004. However, Word for Mac 2008 can read Word for Mac 2004 .doc
              > format and Word for Windows .doc format without a hitch. No testing
              > as yet, but Word for Mac 2008 is supposed to read the new Word for
              > Windows .docx format, too.
              >
              > If Microsoft hasn't implemented a proprietary version of XML, that
              > conversion should be less effort than to the present .doc format.
              >
              > Geoff
              >
              > >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com>, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...> wrote:
              > >
              > >> Word for Windows and Word for Mac formats are identical.
              > >
              > >Don't quote me, but I gather there's been a major file format change
              > >between Word Mac 2004 and 2008, the latter format being XML-based.
              > >
              > >The fun part of that, if it's true, is that XML structure is strongly
              > >reminiscent of WP Mac's structure, so it just might be fairly easy to
              > >write a WPMac <-> Word Mac 2008 conversion.
              > >
              > >John R.
              > >

              > >Yahoo! Groups Links

              If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

              mailto:pjones@...

              <http://www.vpea.org>
            • Judyth
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 10 10:47 AM
                "John Rethorst" jrethorst@... wrote:
                >>Don't quote me, but I gather there's been a major file format change
                >>between Word Mac 2004 and 2008, the latter format being XML-based.
                >>
                >>The fun part of that, if it's true, is that XML structure is strongly
                >>reminiscent of WP Mac's structure, so it just might be fairly easy to
                >>write a WPMac <-> Word Mac 2008 conversion.

                Yes, sort of but...

                As "Geoff Gilbert" Geoff@... said,
                >If Microsoft hasn't implemented a proprietary version of XML, that
                >conversion should be less effort than to the present .doc format.

                But *of course* they've implemented a non-standard proprietary format deceptively named OOXML (for "Open Office XML"), for which they've been trying -- and fortunately failing thus far -- to obtain recognition as a new international standard.

                The OOXML "standard" document Microsoft published to that end runs over 800 pages in length and is full of things like "handle blahblah the way Word 97 does it" where the "way Word 97 does it" is proprietary code that isn't published. One could easily infer that that's the whole point: to replace an open standard everyone can use with a not-really-open "standard" over which only Microsoft has full control.

                I could say a lot more about this if anyone were really interested but there are lots of other places where it's discussed in detail and any search engine could find them with the keywords "OOXML" "standard" and "proprietary".

                Anyway, the upshot is that there are already some third-party conversion utilities out there but it's not realistic to expect them to work 100%.

                >Word for Windows' .docx format is incompatible with Word for Mac
                >2004. However, Word for Mac 2008 can read Word for Mac 2004 .doc
                >format and Word for Windows .doc format without a hitch. No testing
                >as yet, but Word for Mac 2008 is supposed to read the new Word for
                >Windows .docx format, too.

                However, by all accounts Word for Mac 2008 is still very buggy and even people who want to pay Microsoft for it might want to wait for the upcoming (March?) service pack.

                Microsoft does offer a partial solution to Office 2004 users: see
                http://mac4translators.blogspot.com/2007/12/office-2007-files-docx-xlsx-pptx-on-mac_21.html

                For what it's worth, OpenOffice.org 3.0 is promising OOXML support. How good it will be at dealing with non-standard formatting issues I do not know.

                In the meantime, Panergy Ltd. makes a DocxConverter that seems to work.

                HTH,

                Judyth

                Judyth Mermelstein "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
                Montreal, QC <judyth.mermelstein@...>
                Canada H4G 1J4 <lapomme@...>
                "A word to the wise is sufficient. For others, use more."
                "Un mot suffit aux sages; pour les autres, il en faut plus."
              • Nick Spencer
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 11 2:45 AM
                  Phillip Jones wrote:-

                  One thing to look out for VBA for Mac has had a Stake put in it. its
                  dead. So Macro Recorder and any Macros depending on VBA will not work on
                  a Mac under Office2008

                  Note however; Office 2004 will work very nicely under Rosetta on an
                  Intel mac just fine and VBA still works.

                  So My advice is buy the new 2008 for new features and fast performance
                  on a Intel Mac, but keep 2004 around for VBA compatibility. among things
                  that have died in Excel as a result of VBA removal is Solver.

                  I've had VBA and macros turned off since word95 days. So the removal
                  hasn't bothered me. They were turned of then because , back then people
                  wrote code that could erase your hard drive, or physically damage the
                  drive or files on either platform at the time. so I turned it off then
                  and never looked back.

                  I am not sure where you are based, but last month in the UK. I bought
                  Office 2004 for £263. The Mac retailer gave me a voucher from
                  Microsoft to upgrade to Office 2008 for £15.90. The good thing is that
                  the upgrade is to the Office 200 Special Media Edition that retails
                  for £450 (?). The information on the voucher says the scheme is valid
                  to March 31. Also, the guy who sold it to me, who said he had been on
                  a Mac Microsoft Software Training Course, said you that you could
                  legally install the same copy of Office 2004 on one desktop and one
                  laptop (though I don't think you were entitled to use the software on
                  the two machines at the same time). However, given this, you could
                  then upgrade one of the installations to Office 2008 and leave one at
                  2004...the best of both worlds.

                  I have never heard of this permitted dual installation before, but the
                  shop I bought it from, Mikroanvika of Tottenham Court Road in London,
                  have had this Mac only store for what, ten years or so, and they are
                  Mac savvy.

                  Regards,
                  Nick
                • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 11 8:26 AM
                    Most *major* software vendor have in their EULA (License) that you have
                    the right to one copy of the application(s) on one Desktop, One Laptop
                    and in the case of Office one network installation provided the items in
                    question belong to you. You may not under any circumstances allow more
                    than one installation run at any one time. In other word you can allow
                    it to only work on the Desktop, or the Laptop, or the network install;
                    at any one time.

                    If you want to install on a network where there will be more than one
                    person use it then you must by a Multi-user license.

                    Nick Spencer wrote:

                    > Phillip Jones wrote:-
                    >
                    > One thing to look out for VBA for Mac has had a Stake put in it. its
                    > dead. So Macro Recorder and any Macros depending on VBA will not work on
                    > a Mac under Office2008
                    >
                    > Note however; Office 2004 will work very nicely under Rosetta on an
                    > Intel mac just fine and VBA still works.
                    >
                    > So My advice is buy the new 2008 for new features and fast performance
                    > on a Intel Mac, but keep 2004 around for VBA compatibility. among things
                    > that have died in Excel as a result of VBA removal is Solver.
                    >
                    > I've had VBA and macros turned off since word95 days. So the removal
                    > hasn't bothered me. They were turned of then because , back then people
                    > wrote code that could erase your hard drive, or physically damage the
                    > drive or files on either platform at the time. so I turned it off then
                    > and never looked back.

                    > I am not sure where you are based, but last month in the UK. I bought
                    > Office 2004 for £263. The Mac retailer gave me a voucher from
                    > Microsoft to upgrade to Office 2008 for £15.90. The good thing is that
                    > the upgrade is to the Office 200 Special Media Edition that retails
                    > for £450 (?). The information on the voucher says the scheme is valid
                    > to March 31. Also, the guy who sold it to me, who said he had been on
                    > a Mac Microsoft Software Training Course, said you that you could
                    > legally install the same copy of Office 2004 on one desktop and one
                    > laptop (though I don't think you were entitled to use the software on
                    > the two machines at the same time). However, given this, you could
                    > then upgrade one of the installations to Office 2008 and leave one at
                    > 2004...the best of both worlds.
                    >
                    > I have never heard of this permitted dual installation before, but the
                    > shop I bought it from, Mikroanvika of Tottenham Court Road in London,
                    > have had this Mac only store for what, ten years or so, and they are
                    > Mac savvy.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Nick

                    If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!