Is it possible to use newer version WP docs in SheepShaver?

  • rilkefan2000
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 9, 2008
      Hi, I am in the process of switching from a PC to a Mac OS X
      10.5.1. I was using the latest version of Word Perfect on the
      PC, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to open my WP
      documents in the Sheep Shaver version of Word Perfect since
      they are from a newer version of WP?

      If nothing else, I'd like to somehow convert my WP documents
      to the MS Word format so I can use them in Word for Mac 2008,
      even though I much prefer Word Perfect to Word!

      Thanks, Linda
    • Steve Kane
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 9, 2008
        On Feb 9, 2008, at 11:21 AM, rilkefan2000 wrote:

        > If nothing else, I'd like to somehow convert my WP documents
        > to the MS Word format so I can use them in Word for Mac 2008,
        > even though I much prefer Word Perfect to Word!

        MacLinkPlus Deluxe will convert documents of many different formats.
        From one file at a time up to every file (of a kind of your choice)
        on your hard drive.

        PC to Mac MacLinkPlus Mac File Converter allows you to convert
        Windows to Mac.
        <http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/index.html>
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 9, 2008
          Linda

          If your files are WP Windows, convert them to .doc now under Windows.
          Word for Windows and Word for Mac formats are identical. If you are
          getting an Intel Mac, you can buy Parallels or VM Fusion and run
          Windows in virtualization mode in Mac OS X. Alternatively, you can
          set up Boot Camp and boot into Windows as opposed to Mac OS X.

          Geoff

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 9, 2008

            > Word for Windows and Word for Mac formats are identical.

            Don't quote me, but I gather there's been a major file format change
            between Word Mac 2004 and 2008, the latter format being XML-based.

            The fun part of that, if it's true, is that XML structure is strongly
            reminiscent of WP Mac's structure, so it just might be fairly easy to
            write a WPMac <-> Word Mac 2008 conversion.

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 9, 2008
              Word for Windows' .docx format is incompatible with Word for Mac
              2004. However, Word for Mac 2008 can read Word for Mac 2004 .doc
              format and Word for Windows .doc format without a hitch. No testing
              as yet, but Word for Mac 2008 is supposed to read the new Word for
              Windows .docx format, too.

              If Microsoft hasn't implemented a proprietary version of XML, that
              conversion should be less effort than to the present .doc format.

              >> Word for Windows and Word for Mac formats are identical.
              >
              >Don't quote me, but I gather there's been a major file format change
              >between Word Mac 2004 and 2008, the latter format being XML-based.
              >
              >The fun part of that, if it's true, is that XML structure is strongly
              >reminiscent of WP Mac's structure, so it just might be fairly easy to
              >write a WPMac <-> Word Mac 2008 conversion.
              >
              >John R.
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 10, 2008
                One thing to look out for VBA for Mac has had a Stake put in it. its
                dead. So Macro Recorder and any Macros depending on VBA will not work on
                a Mac under Office2008

                Note however; Office 2004 will work very nicely under Rosetta on an
                Intel mac just fine and VBA still works.

                So My advice is buy the new 2008 for new features and fast performance
                on a Intel Mac, but keep 2004 around for VBA compatibility. among things
                that have died in Excel as a result of VBA removal is Solver.

                I've had VBA and macros turned off since word95 days. So the removal
                hasn't bothered me. They were turned of then because , back then people
                wrote code that could erase your hard drive, or physically damage the
                drive or files on either platform at the time. so I turned it off then
                and never looked back.

                Geoff Gilbert wrote:

                > Word for Windows' .docx format is incompatible with Word for Mac
                > 2004. However, Word for Mac 2008 can read Word for Mac 2004 .doc
                > format and Word for Windows .doc format without a hitch. No testing
                > as yet, but Word for Mac 2008 is supposed to read the new Word for
                > Windows .docx format, too.
                >
                > If Microsoft hasn't implemented a proprietary version of XML, that
                > conversion should be less effort than to the present .doc format.
                >
                > Geoff
                >
                > >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com>, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...> wrote:
                > >
                > >> Word for Windows and Word for Mac formats are identical.
                > >
                > >Don't quote me, but I gather there's been a major file format change
                > >between Word Mac 2004 and 2008, the latter format being XML-based.
                > >
                > >The fun part of that, if it's true, is that XML structure is strongly
                > >reminiscent of WP Mac's structure, so it just might be fairly easy to
                > >write a WPMac <-> Word Mac 2008 conversion.
                > >
                > >John R.
                > >

                > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

                mailto:pjones@...

                <http://www.vpea.org>
              • Judyth
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 10, 2008
                  "John Rethorst" jrethorst@... wrote:
                  >>Don't quote me, but I gather there's been a major file format change
                  >>between Word Mac 2004 and 2008, the latter format being XML-based.
                  >>
                  >>The fun part of that, if it's true, is that XML structure is strongly
                  >>reminiscent of WP Mac's structure, so it just might be fairly easy to
                  >>write a WPMac <-> Word Mac 2008 conversion.

                  Yes, sort of but...

                  As "Geoff Gilbert" Geoff@... said,
                  >If Microsoft hasn't implemented a proprietary version of XML, that
                  >conversion should be less effort than to the present .doc format.

                  But *of course* they've implemented a non-standard proprietary format deceptively named OOXML (for "Open Office XML"), for which they've been trying -- and fortunately failing thus far -- to obtain recognition as a new international standard.

                  The OOXML "standard" document Microsoft published to that end runs over 800 pages in length and is full of things like "handle blahblah the way Word 97 does it" where the "way Word 97 does it" is proprietary code that isn't published. One could easily infer that that's the whole point: to replace an open standard everyone can use with a not-really-open "standard" over which only Microsoft has full control.

                  I could say a lot more about this if anyone were really interested but there are lots of other places where it's discussed in detail and any search engine could find them with the keywords "OOXML" "standard" and "proprietary".

                  Anyway, the upshot is that there are already some third-party conversion utilities out there but it's not realistic to expect them to work 100%.

                  >Word for Windows' .docx format is incompatible with Word for Mac
                  >2004. However, Word for Mac 2008 can read Word for Mac 2004 .doc
                  >format and Word for Windows .doc format without a hitch. No testing
                  >as yet, but Word for Mac 2008 is supposed to read the new Word for
                  >Windows .docx format, too.

                  However, by all accounts Word for Mac 2008 is still very buggy and even people who want to pay Microsoft for it might want to wait for the upcoming (March?) service pack.

                  Microsoft does offer a partial solution to Office 2004 users: see
                  http://mac4translators.blogspot.com/2007/12/office-2007-files-docx-xlsx-pptx-on-mac_21.html

                  For what it's worth, OpenOffice.org 3.0 is promising OOXML support. How good it will be at dealing with non-standard formatting issues I do not know.

                  In the meantime, Panergy Ltd. makes a DocxConverter that seems to work.

                  HTH,

                  Judyth

                  Judyth Mermelstein "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
                  Montreal, QC <judyth.mermelstein@...>
                  Canada H4G 1J4 <lapomme@...>
                  "A word to the wise is sufficient. For others, use more."
                  "Un mot suffit aux sages; pour les autres, il en faut plus."
                • Nick Spencer
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 11, 2008
                    Phillip Jones wrote:-

                    One thing to look out for VBA for Mac has had a Stake put in it. its
                    dead. So Macro Recorder and any Macros depending on VBA will not work on
                    a Mac under Office2008

                    Note however; Office 2004 will work very nicely under Rosetta on an
                    Intel mac just fine and VBA still works.

                    So My advice is buy the new 2008 for new features and fast performance
                    on a Intel Mac, but keep 2004 around for VBA compatibility. among things
                    that have died in Excel as a result of VBA removal is Solver.

                    I've had VBA and macros turned off since word95 days. So the removal
                    hasn't bothered me. They were turned of then because , back then people
                    wrote code that could erase your hard drive, or physically damage the
                    drive or files on either platform at the time. so I turned it off then
                    and never looked back.

                    I am not sure where you are based, but last month in the UK. I bought
                    Office 2004 for £263. The Mac retailer gave me a voucher from
                    Microsoft to upgrade to Office 2008 for £15.90. The good thing is that
                    the upgrade is to the Office 200 Special Media Edition that retails
                    for £450 (?). The information on the voucher says the scheme is valid
                    to March 31. Also, the guy who sold it to me, who said he had been on
                    a Mac Microsoft Software Training Course, said you that you could
                    legally install the same copy of Office 2004 on one desktop and one
                    laptop (though I don't think you were entitled to use the software on
                    the two machines at the same time). However, given this, you could
                    then upgrade one of the installations to Office 2008 and leave one at
                    2004...the best of both worlds.

                    I have never heard of this permitted dual installation before, but the
                    shop I bought it from, Mikroanvika of Tottenham Court Road in London,
                    have had this Mac only store for what, ten years or so, and they are
                    Mac savvy.

                    Regards,
                    Nick
                  • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 11, 2008
                      Most *major* software vendor have in their EULA (License) that you have
                      the right to one copy of the application(s) on one Desktop, One Laptop
                      and in the case of Office one network installation provided the items in
                      question belong to you. You may not under any circumstances allow more
                      than one installation run at any one time. In other word you can allow
                      it to only work on the Desktop, or the Laptop, or the network install;
                      at any one time.

                      If you want to install on a network where there will be more than one
                      person use it then you must by a Multi-user license.

                      Nick Spencer wrote:

                      > Phillip Jones wrote:-
                      >
                      > One thing to look out for VBA for Mac has had a Stake put in it. its
                      > dead. So Macro Recorder and any Macros depending on VBA will not work on
                      > a Mac under Office2008
                      >
                      > Note however; Office 2004 will work very nicely under Rosetta on an
                      > Intel mac just fine and VBA still works.
                      >
                      > So My advice is buy the new 2008 for new features and fast performance
                      > on a Intel Mac, but keep 2004 around for VBA compatibility. among things
                      > that have died in Excel as a result of VBA removal is Solver.
                      >
                      > I've had VBA and macros turned off since word95 days. So the removal
                      > hasn't bothered me. They were turned of then because , back then people
                      > wrote code that could erase your hard drive, or physically damage the
                      > drive or files on either platform at the time. so I turned it off then
                      > and never looked back.

                      > I am not sure where you are based, but last month in the UK. I bought
                      > Office 2004 for £263. The Mac retailer gave me a voucher from
                      > Microsoft to upgrade to Office 2008 for £15.90. The good thing is that
                      > the upgrade is to the Office 200 Special Media Edition that retails
                      > for £450 (?). The information on the voucher says the scheme is valid
                      > to March 31. Also, the guy who sold it to me, who said he had been on
                      > a Mac Microsoft Software Training Course, said you that you could
                      > legally install the same copy of Office 2004 on one desktop and one
                      > laptop (though I don't think you were entitled to use the software on
                      > the two machines at the same time). However, given this, you could
                      > then upgrade one of the installations to Office 2008 and leave one at
                      > 2004...the best of both worlds.
                      >
                      > I have never heard of this permitted dual installation before, but the
                      > shop I bought it from, Mikroanvika of Tottenham Court Road in London,
                      > have had this Mac only store for what, ten years or so, and they are
                      > Mac savvy.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Nick

                      If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!