Re: [wpmac] Re: Upgrading from OS 8.5 to 9.04 on Intel

  • Nick Spencer
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2008
      Hugh,

      Thanks for the help.

      Buying the Indigo Intel was the only way I could find to easily get
      hold of the right OS to launch the OS 9 on an Intel.

      The Indigo is fine in 9.04. You are right about copying the OS on
      an OS 9 machine, it should work without any problem, but I need to
      use Sheepshaver on an Intel and specifically OS 9.04. Classic 9.2 in
      OSX on a PPC will not do what I want. I need certain OSAX and Jon's
      routines to work and they will not work on Classic 9.2, not for me
      anyway.

      Kind regards,

      Nick

      On 5 Feb 2008, at 10:08, hnd101 wrote:

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Spencer" <N.Spencer@...>
      > wrote:
      > I therefore bought a second hand
      > > Indigo iMac off ebay with the requisite 9.04 installation and
      > > restore discs, but have never managed to install 9.04 on
      > > Sheepshaver.
      >
      > Have you tried simply copying the System Folder from the iMac? I think
      > there are extensions which won't work, but maybe the system itself
      > would. If not, what about using a spare external drive and doing a
      > Custom Install - Complete System for This or Any Macintosh (my iMac
      > installation disk got caught in a filing cabinet drawer and broke in
      > half, so I can't check this, but it can be done with earlier systems -
      > I run machines with OS 9/8/7/(6 even)).
      >
      > 9.0.4 is apparently available as a free upgrade if you can get System
      > 9 installed at all; requires PPC but should be portable.
      >
      > The Indigo iMac of course isn't Intel, so the emulation is certainly
      > necessary...
      >
      > Hugh

    • hnd101
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 6, 2008
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Nick Spencer <N.Spencer@...> wrote:

        > Hugh,
        >
        > Thanks for the help.
        >
        > Buying the Indigo Intel was the only way I could find to easily get
        > hold of the right OS to launch the OS 9 on an Intel.

        ... But how on earth did you get an Indigo Intel? The only Indigo
        iMacs I've ever heard of were G3 which is third-generation PPC (Acorn
        and/or IBM rather than Intel, and not in the least compatible with
        Intel). I never heard of a dual-processor PPC/Intel version either.
        Are you certain?
        Hugh
      • xkeys
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 6, 2008
          Unless you took out the PPC processor of the Indigo iMac and swapped
          in an Intel one somehow, this is not possible. There is no official
          Indigo Intel

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "hnd101" <newtownw@...> wrote:

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Nick Spencer <N.Spencer@>
          wrote:

          > > Hugh,
          > >
          > > Thanks for the help.
          > >
          > > Buying the Indigo Intel was the only way I could find to easily
          get
          > > hold of the right OS to launch the OS 9 on an Intel.
          >
          > ... But how on earth did you get an Indigo Intel? The only Indigo
          > iMacs I've ever heard of were G3 which is third-generation PPC
          (Acorn
          > and/or IBM rather than Intel, and not in the least compatible with
          > Intel). I never heard of a dual-processor PPC/Intel version either.
          > Are you certain?
          > Hugh

        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 6, 2008
            That's a typo for "Indigo iMac"...

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 6, 2008
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Nick Spencer <N.Spencer@...> wrote:

              > I need certain OSAX and Jon's
              > routines to work and they will not work on Classic 9.2, not for me
              > anyway.

              The SheepShaver-WordPerfect install comes with what i think are
              the best osaxen: Jon's Commands, Akua Sweets, Dialog Director,
              Regular Expressions, HipTools. These enormously expand the
              range of Applescript events and objects and work well with the
              OS in the install package.

              John R.
            • Nick Spencer
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 6, 2008
                Hi,

                Yes my apologies....it was a typo for Indigo iMac.

                Regards,
                Nick