Upgrading from OS 8.5 to 9.04 on Intel

  • Nick Spencer
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2008
      Hi,
      I first launched Sheepshaver over a year ago, and by tinkering
      around over the past year I managed 4 months ago or so to
      manage to upgrade from OS 7.5 which I gather is the default
      OS in the downloads to at last 8.5, however I have never
      managed to upgrade to 9.04 which is my target OS. I already
      had an install disc of 9.1 bought separately from a mac, but of
      course this will not work. I therefore bought a second hand
      Indigo iMac off ebay with the requisite 9.04 installation and
      restore discs, but have never managed to install 9.04 on
      Sheepshaver.

      If anyone who has actually done this upgrade procedure can
      point me in the right direction or provide words of wisdom,
      I would be very grateful.

      Regards,

      Nick
    • hnd101
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2008
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Spencer" <N.Spencer@...>
        wrote:
        I therefore bought a second hand
        > Indigo iMac off ebay with the requisite 9.04 installation and
        > restore discs, but have never managed to install 9.04 on
        > Sheepshaver.

        Have you tried simply copying the System Folder from the iMac? I think
        there are extensions which won't work, but maybe the system itself
        would. If not, what about using a spare external drive and doing a
        Custom Install - Complete System for This or Any Macintosh (my iMac
        installation disk got caught in a filing cabinet drawer and broke in
        half, so I can't check this, but it can be done with earlier systems -
        I run machines with OS 9/8/7/(6 even)).

        9.0.4 is apparently available as a free upgrade if you can get System
        9 installed at all; requires PPC but should be portable.

        The Indigo iMac of course isn't Intel, so the emulation is certainly
        necessary...

        Hugh
      • Nick Spencer
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2008
          Hugh,

          Thanks for the help.

          Buying the Indigo Intel was the only way I could find to easily get
          hold of the right OS to launch the OS 9 on an Intel.

          The Indigo is fine in 9.04. You are right about copying the OS on
          an OS 9 machine, it should work without any problem, but I need to
          use Sheepshaver on an Intel and specifically OS 9.04. Classic 9.2 in
          OSX on a PPC will not do what I want. I need certain OSAX and Jon's
          routines to work and they will not work on Classic 9.2, not for me
          anyway.

          Kind regards,

          Nick

          On 5 Feb 2008, at 10:08, hnd101 wrote:

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Spencer" <N.Spencer@...>
          > wrote:
          > I therefore bought a second hand
          > > Indigo iMac off ebay with the requisite 9.04 installation and
          > > restore discs, but have never managed to install 9.04 on
          > > Sheepshaver.
          >
          > Have you tried simply copying the System Folder from the iMac? I think
          > there are extensions which won't work, but maybe the system itself
          > would. If not, what about using a spare external drive and doing a
          > Custom Install - Complete System for This or Any Macintosh (my iMac
          > installation disk got caught in a filing cabinet drawer and broke in
          > half, so I can't check this, but it can be done with earlier systems -
          > I run machines with OS 9/8/7/(6 even)).
          >
          > 9.0.4 is apparently available as a free upgrade if you can get System
          > 9 installed at all; requires PPC but should be portable.
          >
          > The Indigo iMac of course isn't Intel, so the emulation is certainly
          > necessary...
          >
          > Hugh

        • hnd101
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 6, 2008
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Nick Spencer <N.Spencer@...> wrote:

            > Hugh,
            >
            > Thanks for the help.
            >
            > Buying the Indigo Intel was the only way I could find to easily get
            > hold of the right OS to launch the OS 9 on an Intel.

            ... But how on earth did you get an Indigo Intel? The only Indigo
            iMacs I've ever heard of were G3 which is third-generation PPC (Acorn
            and/or IBM rather than Intel, and not in the least compatible with
            Intel). I never heard of a dual-processor PPC/Intel version either.
            Are you certain?
            Hugh
          • xkeys
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 6, 2008
              Unless you took out the PPC processor of the Indigo iMac and swapped
              in an Intel one somehow, this is not possible. There is no official
              Indigo Intel

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "hnd101" <newtownw@...> wrote:

              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Nick Spencer <N.Spencer@>
              wrote:

              > > Hugh,
              > >
              > > Thanks for the help.
              > >
              > > Buying the Indigo Intel was the only way I could find to easily
              get
              > > hold of the right OS to launch the OS 9 on an Intel.
              >
              > ... But how on earth did you get an Indigo Intel? The only Indigo
              > iMacs I've ever heard of were G3 which is third-generation PPC
              (Acorn
              > and/or IBM rather than Intel, and not in the least compatible with
              > Intel). I never heard of a dual-processor PPC/Intel version either.
              > Are you certain?
              > Hugh

            • Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 6, 2008
                That's a typo for "Indigo iMac"...

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 6, 2008
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Nick Spencer <N.Spencer@...> wrote:

                  > I need certain OSAX and Jon's
                  > routines to work and they will not work on Classic 9.2, not for me
                  > anyway.

                  The SheepShaver-WordPerfect install comes with what i think are
                  the best osaxen: Jon's Commands, Akua Sweets, Dialog Director,
                  Regular Expressions, HipTools. These enormously expand the
                  range of Applescript events and objects and work well with the
                  OS in the install package.

                  John R.
                • Nick Spencer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 6, 2008
                    Hi,

                    Yes my apologies....it was a typo for Indigo iMac.

                    Regards,
                    Nick