USB in SheepShaver?

  • jslmg
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 29, 2008
      Hi again. I got John's SheepShaver install up and running, and
      after two or three tries, figured out how to get 9.0.4 installed.

      My goal here is to get an HP ScanJet 4400c with Precision Scan
      Pro working on my Intel Mac mini. I've got the software installed
      and opening in 9.0.4, but I get the message that the scan
      software "cannot see the device". When I open "HP Scanjet
      Controls" in Control Panels, I see that the USB device option is
      not selectable; there's no choice--SCSI only.

      I've installed USB Adapter Card in my Mac OS 9 install disc. Still
      no go.

      Is this going to be lost cause--getting the HP scanner to work
      --or is there a way to get USB going?

      BTW, this installation is great! I realize that it is designed for
      those who want to use WordPerfect, but John really should
      consider releasing this install to the general public. It's great
      fun to run OS 9 once again, too! So zippy, with a fun interface.
      Of course Mac OS X is beautiful, but I for one get bogged
      down in the Unix-ness of it, and I'd forgotten what a pleasure
      the old mac os was, too.
    • Mike Robbins
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 30, 2008
        Have you looked at VueScan as a possible way to use your HP ScanJet
        4400C with an Intel Mac?

        www.hamrick.com

        Mike Robbins
        Los Angeles

        On Jan 29, 2008, at 6:26 AM, jslmg wrote:

        > Hi again. I got John's SheepShaver install up and running, and
        > after two or three tries, figured out how to get 9.0.4 installed.
        >
        > My goal here is to get an HP ScanJet 4400c with Precision Scan
        > Pro working on my Intel Mac mini. I've got the software installed
        > and opening in 9.0.4, but I get the message that the scan
        > software "cannot see the device". When I open "HP Scanjet
        > Controls" in Control Panels, I see that the USB device option is
        > not selectable; there's no choice--SCSI only.
        >
        > I've installed USB Adapter Card in my Mac OS 9 install disc. Still
        > no go.
        >
        > Is this going to be lost cause--getting the HP scanner to work
        > --or is there a way to get USB going?
        >
        > BTW, this installation is great! I realize that it is designed for
        > those who want to use WordPerfect, but John really should
        > consider releasing this install to the general public. It's great
        > fun to run OS 9 once again, too! So zippy, with a fun interface.
        > Of course Mac OS X is beautiful, but I for one get bogged
        > down in the Unix-ness of it, and I'd forgotten what a pleasure
        > the old mac os was, too.

      • John Grimmett
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 30, 2008
          Hi, Mike. I have looked at VueScan. It does not support HP ScanJet
          4400c.

          Is there no USB support in SheepShaver?

          On Jan 31, 2008, at 12:19 PM, Mike Robbins wrote:

          > Have you looked at VueScan as a possible way to use your HP ScanJet
          > 4400C with an Intel Mac?
          >
          > www.hamrick.com
          >
          > Mike Robbins
          > Los Angeles
          >
          > On Jan 29, 2008, at 6:26 AM, jslmg wrote:
          >
          > > Hi again. I got John's SheepShaver install up and running, and
          > > after two or three tries, figured out how to get 9.0.4 installed.
          > >
          > > My goal here is to get an HP ScanJet 4400c with Precision Scan
          > > Pro working on my Intel Mac mini. I've got the software installed
          > > and opening in 9.0.4, but I get the message that the scan
          > > software "cannot see the device". When I open "HP Scanjet
          > > Controls" in Control Panels, I see that the USB device option is
          > > not selectable; there's no choice--SCSI only.
          > >
          > > I've installed USB Adapter Card in my Mac OS 9 install disc. Still
          > > no go.
          > >
          > > Is this going to be lost cause--getting the HP scanner to work
          > > --or is there a way to get USB going?
          > >
          > > BTW, this installation is great! I realize that it is designed for
          > > those who want to use WordPerfect, but John really should
          > > consider releasing this install to the general public. It's great
          > > fun to run OS 9 once again, too! So zippy, with a fun interface.
          > > Of course Mac OS X is beautiful, but I for one get bogged
          > > down in the Unix-ness of it, and I'd forgotten what a pleasure
          > > the old mac os was, too.

        • Michael Mulhern
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
            Seeing you are using an Intel C2D MacMini, you could try installing
            it under windows via Parallels or Fusion which support USB devices.

            On 31/01/2008, at 4:50 PM, John Grimmett wrote:

            > Hi, Mike. I have looked at VueScan. It does not support HP ScanJet
            > 4400c.
            >
            > Is there no USB support in SheepShaver?
            >
            > On Jan 31, 2008, at 12:19 PM, Mike Robbins wrote:
            >
            > > Have you looked at VueScan as a possible way to use your HP ScanJet
            > > 4400C with an Intel Mac?
            > >
            > > www.hamrick.com
            > >
            > > Mike Robbins
            > > Los Angeles
            > >
            > > On Jan 29, 2008, at 6:26 AM, jslmg wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hi again. I got John's SheepShaver install up and running, and
            > > > after two or three tries, figured out how to get 9.0.4 installed.
            > > >
            > > > My goal here is to get an HP ScanJet 4400c with Precision Scan
            > > > Pro working on my Intel Mac mini. I've got the software installed
            > > > and opening in 9.0.4, but I get the message that the scan
            > > > software "cannot see the device". When I open "HP Scanjet
            > > > Controls" in Control Panels, I see that the USB device option is
            > > > not selectable; there's no choice--SCSI only.
            > > >
            > > > I've installed USB Adapter Card in my Mac OS 9 install disc. Still
            > > > no go.
            > > >
            > > > Is this going to be lost cause--getting the HP scanner to work
            > > > --or is there a way to get USB going?
            > > >
            > > > BTW, this installation is great! I realize that it is designed for
            > > > those who want to use WordPerfect, but John really should
            > > > consider releasing this install to the general public. It's great
            > > > fun to run OS 9 once again, too! So zippy, with a fun interface.
            > > > Of course Mac OS X is beautiful, but I for one get bogged
            > > > down in the Unix-ness of it, and I'd forgotten what a pleasure
            > > > the old mac os was, too.

          • John Grimmett
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
              Yes, actually, I have it running under Parallels, though it is also
              buggy there, as the scanning software does usually does not see the
              scanner until it has been restarted a few times. I was hoping a Mac
              installation would perform better.

              On principle, I always seek to avoid Windows in any capacity, though I
              have Parallels as a fall-back. Would rather have 100% Mac if possible,
              and that is what I was hoping to resolve in this case.

              So, does this mean there is no USB support in SheepShaver? If anyone
              has gotten USB peripherals working in SheepShaver, please let me know.
              I'm particularly interested in scanners.

              Thanks.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Grimmett <jslmg1@...> wrote:

                > So, does this mean there is no USB support in SheepShaver?

                Not yet.

                John R.
              • Mike Robbins
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
                  For the record, I have installed both Parallels and Fusion. I have
                  found that even obscure USB devices perform reliably under Fusion
                  even when not recognized under Parallels.

                  Mike Robbins
                  Los Angeles