Sheepshaver sound problem

  • jktbrook
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2008
      I have a problem with no sound output in my Sheepshaver
      installation - all else seems to be working OK. Am using a
      2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo with mac OS 10.5.1.

      I have tried a host of 'fixes' including trying OS9.0.4 and
      OS8.5 installations. I have at present settled with the
      OS9.0.4 install where when I attempt to open the Sound
      control panel I get a message that 'SndHWUtilitiesLib--
      AudioNotify' can't be found. An extensive search of the
      web found others with no sound, some with the same
      message that I am getting. Of the suggested fixes
      none have worked for me.

      Would appreciate help. Frustrated, John. Thank you.
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 9, 2008
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jktbrook" <jtom@...> wrote:

        > I have a problem with no sound output in my Sheepshaver
        > installation - all else seems to be working OK. Am using a
        > 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo with mac OS 10.5.1.
        >
        > I have tried a host of 'fixes' including trying OS9.0.4 and
        > OS8.5 installations. I have at present settled with the
        > OS9.0.4 install where when I attempt to open the Sound
        > control panel I get a message that 'SndHWUtilitiesLib--
        > AudioNotify' can't be found.

        I'd start over with a clean SheepShaver install from the
        package here. Sound should work at that point. It requires
        the Sound control panel (not Monitors and Sound). Sound
        was not part of the default OS install.

        If you then update OS, keep that Sound control panel, unless
        the more recent OS requires this additional SndHWUtilitiesLib.
        I don't know where to find that, if it's not contained on the
        OS install disks.

        John R.
      • sappngtn
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 13, 2008
          Matt Cannata at the uneasysilence.com board (SheepShaver article
          postings) found a simple solution to this. I'm having the same problem
          with the sound and intend to try this tonight:

          Okay everybody! I've got sound. It was a stupid little tweak that gave
          the sound. In the `Sound' area of the Control Panels, select Output and
          then highlight Built-in. I had scanned through this all before, but I
          just didn't click `Built-in' because I thought that since it was the
          only option on that list it would be set as the default. But no, you
          need to highlight it. Hopefully this will work with Graham's System 9
          CD (iMac bundled). I ended up using a retail version of System 9.0.4
          instead of using his bundled software.
        • sappngtn
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 13, 2008
            Heh. Well, I just realized after trying this fix that of course it won't work,
            because our problem is that the Sound control panel won't even open,
            and this fix involves making changes to the settings INSIDE the control
            panel. Ah well, see if I can find another fix that doesn't involve a reinstall.
          • sappngtn
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 13, 2008
              Here are some other things we can try:

              http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5125&sid=1ea25af335e705f8b44290089de0ada2

              1. Older version of Sound control panel (OS 8.5)
              2. Remove certain extensions
              3. or Use a non-hardware specific ROM (Graham's is specifically for the iMac)
            • sappngtn
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 16, 2008
                Downloading the OS 9.0.4 update from Apple's website and installing
                it overtop the current OS while in SheepShaver fixes part of the problem.
                It gives you a working copy of the Sound Control Panel, but there is
                no "built-in" device listed for the sound output, so there is still no
                sound. But at least you can get into the control panel now.