Re: [wpmac] Re: Major IBM Announcement Coming Next Week!

  • Joe Edgell
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 23, 2008
      It's called profit taking!

      On Jan 23, 2008, at 9:27 PM, drderbes wrote:

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > IBM is set to release all sorts of goodies for iPhone and Macintosh
      > > users next week!
      > >
      > > A Lotus Notes e-mail package for businesss users for the iphone.
      > >
      > > And Lotus Notes and the FREE Lotus Symphony office suite, which
      > > includes word processing and spreadsheet applications, for the
      > > Macintosh.
      > >
      > > http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APPLE_IBM?
      > > SITE=WILAC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
      > >

      > Clearly, it must be time to sell Apple stock!
      >
      > (I'm just being sarcastic. Apple has the greatest quarter in its
      > history, and the stock drops 20%?!)

      ________________
      Joe Edgell
      joe@...
      253.468.7874

      "Lead me not into temptation; I can find it myself." �Rita Mae Brown

    • Rick Albright
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 26, 2008
        I don't usually have this problem, but I can't seem to access the
        link; it goes to a generic Associated Press "blue page." I figured it
        was because of a word wrap problem, but copying it all into Text Edit
        got me nothing. I copied it into bbEdit, joined the two lines, and
        pasted it into my browser, but then I got an "access forbidden" message.

        Anyway, . . . . Symphony? That's a blast from the past. I used to
        work on the MS-DOS version back in the 1980s.

        On Jan 23, 2008, at 8:57 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

        > http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APPLE_IBM?
        > SITE=WILAC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

        “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
        --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
        from Pink Floyd, The Wall
        Rick Albright
        logres@...
      • Patrick Sheffield
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 26, 2008
          On Jan 26, 2008, at 4:16 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

          > I don't usually have this problem, but I can't seem to access the
          > link; it goes to a generic Associated Press "blue page." I figured it
          > was because of a word wrap problem, but copying it all into Text Edit
          > got me nothing. I copied it into bbEdit, joined the two lines, and
          > pasted it into my browser, but then I got an "access forbidden"
          > message.

          Try this:

          http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APPLE_IBM?SITE=WILAC
        • William Kearns
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 26, 2008
            Try this Tiny URL http://tinyurl.com/2hj6jk

            On Jan 26, 2008, at 7:16 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

            >> http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APPLE_IBM?
            >> SITE=WILAC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

          • Phillip Jones, CET
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 26, 2008
              Try this:
              http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APPLE_IBM?SITE=WILAC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

              Many Email Clients break html addresses up. Mozilla Products (FireFox,
              SeaMonkey) Don't normally do that they recognize it as a URL and sens un
              broken

              Rick Albright wrote:
              > I don't usually have this problem, but I can't seem to access the
              > link; it goes to a generic Associated Press "blue page." I figured it
              > was because of a word wrap problem, but copying it all into Text Edit
              > got me nothing. I copied it into bbEdit, joined the two lines, and
              > pasted it into my browser, but then I got an "access forbidden" message.
              >
              > Anyway, . . . . Symphony? That's a blast from the past. I used to
              > work on the MS-DOS version back in the 1980s.
              >
              > On Jan 23, 2008, at 8:57 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
              >
              >> http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APPLE_IBM?
              >> SITE=WILAC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

              > �No dark sarcasm in the classroom�
              > --Roger Waters, �Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2�
              > from Pink Floyd, The Wall

              Phillip M. Jones, CET |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET, Sterling

              If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

              mailto:pjones@...

              <http://www.vpea.org>
            • Randy B. Singer
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 26, 2008
                On Jan 26, 2008, at 4:16 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

                > I don't usually have this problem, but I can't seem to access the
                > link; it goes to a generic Associated Press "blue page." I figured it
                > was because of a word wrap problem, but copying it all into Text Edit
                > got me nothing. I copied it into bbEdit, joined the two lines, and
                > pasted it into my browser, but then I got an "access forbidden"
                > message.

                Try this shorter URL:

                http://owagim.notlong.com

                Randy B. Singer

                Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
              • Rick Albright
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 26, 2008
                  That worked. Thanks, Randy (and also the others who replied and
                  suggested various alternatives).

                  Rick Albright

                  On Jan 26, 2008, at 8:26 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

                  > On Jan 26, 2008, at 4:16 PM, Rick Albright wrote:
                  >
                  > > I don't usually have this problem, but I can't seem to access the
                  > > link; it goes to a generic Associated Press "blue page." I
                  > figured it
                  > > was because of a word wrap problem, but copying it all into Text
                  > Edit
                  > > got me nothing. I copied it into bbEdit, joined the two lines, and
                  > > pasted it into my browser, but then I got an "access forbidden"
                  > > message.
                  >
                  > Try this shorter URL:
                  >
                  > http://owagim.notlong.com

                  > Randy B. Singer
                  > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
                  >
                  > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                  > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

                  “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
                  --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
                  from Pink Floyd, The Wall
                  Rick Albright
                  logres@...
                • Ed Gould
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 26, 2008
                    On Jan 26, 2008, at 6:16 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

                    > I don't usually have this problem, but I can't seem to access the
                    > link; it goes to a generic Associated Press "blue page." I figured it
                    > was because of a word wrap problem, but copying it all into Text Edit
                    > got me nothing. I copied it into bbEdit, joined the two lines, and
                    > pasted it into my browser, but then I got an "access forbidden"
                    > message.
                    >
                    > Anyway, . . . . Symphony? That's a blast from the past. I used to
                    > work on the MS-DOS version back in the 1980s.
                    >
                    > On Jan 23, 2008, at 8:57 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

                    It worked fine for me Safari 3.0.4

                    I "think" I had forwarded this to the list a few weeks ago.

                    Ed
                  • Nancy Hyden Woodward
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 15, 2008
                      Can you point me to which forum I should go to get help using the PDF
                      "system" that came with Tiger.
                      Someone e-mailed me yesterday (I was shopping around for an PDF
                      programme that would work for a Mac) that Tiger has it.
                      Lo and behold, it does, with no mention of it in the manual.
                      I would like to find out how to limit sale of an ebook to one
                      download per person.
                      Thanks.
                      Nancy
                    • Randy B. Singer
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 15, 2008
                        On Feb 15, 2008, at 7:55 AM, Nancy Hyden Woodward wrote:

                        > Can you point me to which forum I should go to get help using the PDF
                        > "system" that came with Tiger.

                        It should all be in the help system in OS X.

                        http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8152.html

                        http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8197.html

                        http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/9021.html

                        Randy B. Singer

                        Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
                      • Mike Robbins
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 15, 2008
                          Anyone interested in this topic may want to think twice about
                          password protection. There apparently are many ways of hacking the
                          security feature of PDFs. Take a look at some of the hits on a Google
                          search to-

                          hacking pdf encryption

                          If you find a safe method of password protection, I too would be
                          interested.

                          -Mike

                          On Feb 15, 2008, at 7:55 AM, Nancy Hyden Woodward wrote:

                          > Can you point me to which forum I should go to get help using the PDF
                          > "system" that came with Tiger.
                          > Someone e-mailed me yesterday (I was shopping around for an PDF
                          > programme that would work for a Mac) that Tiger has it.
                          > Lo and behold, it does, with no mention of it in the manual.
                          > I would like to find out how to limit sale of an ebook to one
                          > download per person.
                          > Thanks.
                          > Nancy

                        • Edward Mendelson
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 15, 2008
                            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Hyden Woodward <villars@...> wrote:

                            > Can you point me to which forum I should go to get help using the PDF

                            Google is ALWAYS your friend. Search

                            pdf encryption

                            or similar topics. Always go to Google first.
                          • Rick Albright
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 15, 2008
                              On Feb 15, 2008, at 6:49 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:
                              > -Google is ALWAYS your friend. Search
                              >
                              > pdf encryption
                              >
                              > or similar topics. Always go to Google first.

                              Unless you live in one of a number of countries where Google
                              routinely censors their search engine results: China immediately
                              comes to mind. A search of "Tiananmen Square," for example, returns
                              articles about the massacre, and a number of famous images such as
                              the student facing down a line of tanks (espec. if you search with
                              the images option). However, if you do the same search from China
                              (and you can actually access the Chinese version of Google from the
                              US), and you'll see ads for travel companies, and nice, pleasant
                              pictures. Massacre? What massacre? Let Google help your repressive
                              regime keep information from its citizens. "Do no evil"?

                              It's also worth noting that Google's ranking of search results favors
                              not just its paid advertisers, but sites that have the most links
                              (which is one reason that the interesting but highly suspect
                              Wikipedia often shows up at or near the top of the results).