Re: [wpmac] Re: offtopic but I need help

  • Daryl Chinn
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 23, 2008
      Thank you, Bert, and welcome to this group. We talk
      about many things here, mostly about WordPerfect for
      Macs, but we do wander around that topic in many ways.
      Always good to have another place to look, another
      person to ask. Computers and software always seem to
      be changing, along with their problems.

      Daryl

      --- Bert Knabe <bert.knabe@...> wrote:

      > I'm new to this list, but I also wanted to point out
      > that there are
      > many good support lists, both at Apple and other
      > places like yahoo
      > groups.
      >
      > Bert Knabe
      > Technician
      > Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
      > 806-766-2158
      >

      > On Jan 23, 2008, at 8:19 AM, Edward Mendelson wrote:
      >
      > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Hyden
      > Woodward
      > > <villars@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I thank you all for your suggestions and have
      > filed them all for
      > > > future problems. Do not know how it happened,
      > but during the night
      > > > the CD, which indeed was there, popped out on
      > its own. It never did
      > > >

      > > For future use, please keep this in mind: a Google
      > search for
      > >
      > > mac stuck cd
      > >
      > > instantly produces a page with a dozen different
      > suggestions -
      > > far more than you got here. This group is the best
      > possible
      > > place to go for WPMac information, but Google is
      > far better
      > > for all other questions. All you need to do is
      > enter a simple set
      > > of search words, and the first result is almost
      > always the best.
      > > You can save yourself a lot of anxiety by going
      > there first.

      > removed]

    • Joe Edgell
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 23, 2008
        It's called profit taking!

        On Jan 23, 2008, at 9:27 PM, drderbes wrote:

        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > IBM is set to release all sorts of goodies for iPhone and Macintosh
        > > users next week!
        > >
        > > A Lotus Notes e-mail package for businesss users for the iphone.
        > >
        > > And Lotus Notes and the FREE Lotus Symphony office suite, which
        > > includes word processing and spreadsheet applications, for the
        > > Macintosh.
        > >
        > > http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APPLE_IBM?
        > > SITE=WILAC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
        > >

        > Clearly, it must be time to sell Apple stock!
        >
        > (I'm just being sarcastic. Apple has the greatest quarter in its
        > history, and the stock drops 20%?!)

        ________________
        Joe Edgell
        joe@...
        253.468.7874

        "Lead me not into temptation; I can find it myself." �Rita Mae Brown

      • Rick Albright
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 26, 2008
          I don't usually have this problem, but I can't seem to access the
          link; it goes to a generic Associated Press "blue page." I figured it
          was because of a word wrap problem, but copying it all into Text Edit
          got me nothing. I copied it into bbEdit, joined the two lines, and
          pasted it into my browser, but then I got an "access forbidden" message.

          Anyway, . . . . Symphony? That's a blast from the past. I used to
          work on the MS-DOS version back in the 1980s.

          On Jan 23, 2008, at 8:57 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

          > http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APPLE_IBM?
          > SITE=WILAC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

          “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
          --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
          from Pink Floyd, The Wall
          Rick Albright
          logres@...
        • Patrick Sheffield
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 26, 2008
            On Jan 26, 2008, at 4:16 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

            > I don't usually have this problem, but I can't seem to access the
            > link; it goes to a generic Associated Press "blue page." I figured it
            > was because of a word wrap problem, but copying it all into Text Edit
            > got me nothing. I copied it into bbEdit, joined the two lines, and
            > pasted it into my browser, but then I got an "access forbidden"
            > message.

            Try this:

            http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APPLE_IBM?SITE=WILAC
          • William Kearns
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 26, 2008
              Try this Tiny URL http://tinyurl.com/2hj6jk

              On Jan 26, 2008, at 7:16 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

              >> http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APPLE_IBM?
              >> SITE=WILAC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

            • Phillip Jones, CET
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 26, 2008
                Try this:
                http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APPLE_IBM?SITE=WILAC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

                Many Email Clients break html addresses up. Mozilla Products (FireFox,
                SeaMonkey) Don't normally do that they recognize it as a URL and sens un
                broken

                Rick Albright wrote:
                > I don't usually have this problem, but I can't seem to access the
                > link; it goes to a generic Associated Press "blue page." I figured it
                > was because of a word wrap problem, but copying it all into Text Edit
                > got me nothing. I copied it into bbEdit, joined the two lines, and
                > pasted it into my browser, but then I got an "access forbidden" message.
                >
                > Anyway, . . . . Symphony? That's a blast from the past. I used to
                > work on the MS-DOS version back in the 1980s.
                >
                > On Jan 23, 2008, at 8:57 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
                >
                >> http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APPLE_IBM?
                >> SITE=WILAC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

                > �No dark sarcasm in the classroom�
                > --Roger Waters, �Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2�
                > from Pink Floyd, The Wall

                Phillip M. Jones, CET |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET, Sterling

                If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

                mailto:pjones@...

                <http://www.vpea.org>
              • Randy B. Singer
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 26, 2008
                  On Jan 26, 2008, at 4:16 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

                  > I don't usually have this problem, but I can't seem to access the
                  > link; it goes to a generic Associated Press "blue page." I figured it
                  > was because of a word wrap problem, but copying it all into Text Edit
                  > got me nothing. I copied it into bbEdit, joined the two lines, and
                  > pasted it into my browser, but then I got an "access forbidden"
                  > message.

                  Try this shorter URL:

                  http://owagim.notlong.com

                  Randy B. Singer

                  Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                  http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
                • Rick Albright
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 26, 2008
                    That worked. Thanks, Randy (and also the others who replied and
                    suggested various alternatives).

                    Rick Albright

                    On Jan 26, 2008, at 8:26 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

                    > On Jan 26, 2008, at 4:16 PM, Rick Albright wrote:
                    >
                    > > I don't usually have this problem, but I can't seem to access the
                    > > link; it goes to a generic Associated Press "blue page." I
                    > figured it
                    > > was because of a word wrap problem, but copying it all into Text
                    > Edit
                    > > got me nothing. I copied it into bbEdit, joined the two lines, and
                    > > pasted it into my browser, but then I got an "access forbidden"
                    > > message.
                    >
                    > Try this shorter URL:
                    >
                    > http://owagim.notlong.com

                    > Randy B. Singer
                    > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
                    >
                    > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                    > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

                    “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
                    --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
                    from Pink Floyd, The Wall
                    Rick Albright
                    logres@...
                  • Ed Gould
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 26, 2008
                      On Jan 26, 2008, at 6:16 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

                      > I don't usually have this problem, but I can't seem to access the
                      > link; it goes to a generic Associated Press "blue page." I figured it
                      > was because of a word wrap problem, but copying it all into Text Edit
                      > got me nothing. I copied it into bbEdit, joined the two lines, and
                      > pasted it into my browser, but then I got an "access forbidden"
                      > message.
                      >
                      > Anyway, . . . . Symphony? That's a blast from the past. I used to
                      > work on the MS-DOS version back in the 1980s.
                      >
                      > On Jan 23, 2008, at 8:57 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

                      It worked fine for me Safari 3.0.4

                      I "think" I had forwarded this to the list a few weeks ago.

                      Ed
                    • Nancy Hyden Woodward
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 15, 2008
                        Can you point me to which forum I should go to get help using the PDF
                        "system" that came with Tiger.
                        Someone e-mailed me yesterday (I was shopping around for an PDF
                        programme that would work for a Mac) that Tiger has it.
                        Lo and behold, it does, with no mention of it in the manual.
                        I would like to find out how to limit sale of an ebook to one
                        download per person.
                        Thanks.
                        Nancy
                      • Randy B. Singer
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 15, 2008
                          On Feb 15, 2008, at 7:55 AM, Nancy Hyden Woodward wrote:

                          > Can you point me to which forum I should go to get help using the PDF
                          > "system" that came with Tiger.

                          It should all be in the help system in OS X.

                          http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8152.html

                          http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8197.html

                          http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/9021.html

                          Randy B. Singer

                          Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                          http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
                        • Mike Robbins
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 15, 2008
                            Anyone interested in this topic may want to think twice about
                            password protection. There apparently are many ways of hacking the
                            security feature of PDFs. Take a look at some of the hits on a Google
                            search to-

                            hacking pdf encryption

                            If you find a safe method of password protection, I too would be
                            interested.

                            -Mike

                            On Feb 15, 2008, at 7:55 AM, Nancy Hyden Woodward wrote:

                            > Can you point me to which forum I should go to get help using the PDF
                            > "system" that came with Tiger.
                            > Someone e-mailed me yesterday (I was shopping around for an PDF
                            > programme that would work for a Mac) that Tiger has it.
                            > Lo and behold, it does, with no mention of it in the manual.
                            > I would like to find out how to limit sale of an ebook to one
                            > download per person.
                            > Thanks.
                            > Nancy

                          • Edward Mendelson
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 15, 2008
                              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Hyden Woodward <villars@...> wrote:

                              > Can you point me to which forum I should go to get help using the PDF

                              Google is ALWAYS your friend. Search

                              pdf encryption

                              or similar topics. Always go to Google first.
                            • Rick Albright
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 15, 2008
                                On Feb 15, 2008, at 6:49 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:
                                > -Google is ALWAYS your friend. Search
                                >
                                > pdf encryption
                                >
                                > or similar topics. Always go to Google first.

                                Unless you live in one of a number of countries where Google
                                routinely censors their search engine results: China immediately
                                comes to mind. A search of "Tiananmen Square," for example, returns
                                articles about the massacre, and a number of famous images such as
                                the student facing down a line of tanks (espec. if you search with
                                the images option). However, if you do the same search from China
                                (and you can actually access the Chinese version of Google from the
                                US), and you'll see ads for travel companies, and nice, pleasant
                                pictures. Massacre? What massacre? Let Google help your repressive
                                regime keep information from its citizens. "Do no evil"?

                                It's also worth noting that Google's ranking of search results favors
                                not just its paid advertisers, but sites that have the most links
                                (which is one reason that the interesting but highly suspect
                                Wikipedia often shows up at or near the top of the results).