SheepShaver ROM Files -- I need some help

  • neoskippy1975
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 13, 2008
      OK, I have my Mac OS 9 CD. There is a ROM File on the CD, but
      Sheepshaver doesn't recognize. I downloaded the ROM Update
      files from Apple, but they required Tome Viewer (not compatible
      with OSX 10.5.1)

      So, two questions:

      -- Is the ROM file on the OS 9 CD all I need and if so how do I
      get it recognized?
      -- If I can't use the CD, how do I view the tome on OSX Intel?
      Is there any sort of viewer to get the ROM for OS 9?
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 14, 2008
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "neoskippy1975" <brianmcclimans@...> wrote:

        > OK, I have my Mac OS 9 CD. There is a ROM File on the CD, but
        > Sheepshaver doesn't recognize. I downloaded the ROM Update
        > files from Apple, but they required Tome Viewer (not compatible
        > with OSX 10.5.1)
        >
        > So, two questions:
        >
        > -- Is the ROM file on the OS 9 CD all I need and if so how do I
        > get it recognized?
        > -- If I can't use the CD, how do I view the tome on OSX Intel?
        > Is there any sort of viewer to get the ROM for OS 9?

        Not all ROM files work with SS. Just download the install from
        Links > SheepShaver and Basilisk > SheepShaver-WordPerfect
        Install. It has a ROM file that works.

        John R.
      • David Manley
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 15, 2008
          I have just tried this for myself.
          I have a 1.25GHz PowerBook G4 with 2GB of RAM.
          Using the Sheepsaver GUI, I allocated 512MB of RAM and set the video
          to full screen, maximum size, and 60 KHz refresh.
          Everything starts up fine, but after about 5 minutes, if I try to drag
          a window or open a folder, the system completely freezes up.
          Does anyone else experience this or is it just me?
          David

          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 15, 2008
            I've heard of issues with full screen mode. Try a 1024 x 855 window.
            If you still have trouble, try reducing ram size to 256.

            John R.

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, David Manley <dmanley123@...> wrote:

            > I have just tried this for myself.
            > I have a 1.25GHz PowerBook G4 with 2GB of RAM.
            > Using the Sheepsaver GUI, I allocated 512MB of RAM and set the video
            > to full screen, maximum size, and 60 KHz refresh.
            > Everything starts up fine, but after about 5 minutes, if I try to drag
            > a window or open a folder, the system completely freezes up.
            > Does anyone else experience this or is it just me?
          • ted_m_p_lee
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 16, 2008

              > I've heard of issues with full screen mode. Try a 1024 x 855 window.
              > If you still have trouble, try reducing ram size to 256.
              >
              > John R.

              For what it's worth, I had trouble with full screen mode on my
              PowerBook G4 until I made sure that I had the display (in the displays
              pref pane or menu bar item) itself set to maximum resolution. I used
              whatever RAM the installation instructions said (256?)

              Ted Lee
              Minnetonka, MN
            • Nancy Hyden Woodward
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 16, 2008
                I tried the Macmini forum yesterday but did not get any help there.
                My desktop does not show any CD icon but, I cannot insert a CD in the
                slot.
                Any idea what I should do or, whom I should contact?
                Thanks.
                Nancy Hyden Woodward
              • Chad Smith
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 16, 2008
                  First try holding the eject button down for about 30 seconds to see if that
                  ejects anything.

                  Also, just restarting the computer - or even just logging out and logging
                  back in might get the OS to find the CD so you can eject it normally.

                  Try looking to see if there is a tiny pin-hole near the disc slot. I'm not
                  sure if the Mac Mini has this or not. If it is there, carefully push a
                  stick-pin or a straightened paperclip into that hole. If you press it in
                  straight, it should press a button that would release the CD.

                  Then restart the computer, and when it is powering back on, hold the mouse
                  button down. If that doesn't work, try restarting it again holding the
                  eject button down.

                  All of this is assuming that there is, in fact, a CD stuck in the drive. If
                  there is not, then your slot might be bent or something - and you'd need to
                  get that fixed.

                  Hope that helps!

                  --
                  - Chad Smith
                  http://www.chadwsmith.com/

                • John LeMay
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 16, 2008
                    On Jan 16, 2008, at 10:38 AM, Nancy Hyden Woodward wrote:

                    > I tried the Macmini forum yesterday but did not get any help there.
                    > My desktop does not show any CD icon but, I cannot insert a CD in the
                    > slot.
                    > Any idea what I should do or, whom I should contact?
                    > Thanks.
                    > Nancy Hyden Woodward

                    Hi Nancy,

                    If there is a disk stuck in the drive, you may be able to force it to
                    eject using one of the methods described here:

                    http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20041011075232575

                    Opening a command shell and typing "drutil tray eject" looks like the
                    simplest method to me after trying the eject key on the keyboard. Nice
                    part about the command method is it gives you some feedback unlike the
                    eject button.

                  • hnd101
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 17, 2008
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John LeMay <kc2kth@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Nancy,
                      >
                      > If there is a disk stuck in the drive, you may be able to force it to
                      > eject using one of the methods described here:
                      >
                      > http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20041011075232575
                      >
                      > Opening a command shell and typing "drutil tray eject" looks like the
                      > simplest method to me after trying the eject key on the keyboard. Nice
                      > part about the command method is it gives you some feedback unlike the
                      > eject button.

                      Since this is a MacMini you are probably using an old keyboard, so it
                      probably does not have an eject button. It may even be a PC keyboard.

                      The standard apple-E eject command won't work if there is no CD icon
                      because the icon needs to be selected, but it is possible that the old
                      combination of apple-shift-1 (apple-!) works for CD as well as for
                      floppy disk. On a PC keyboard use ALT for apple key, most likely.

                      If you're getting into Unix it might be worth trying to mount the CD,
                      or asking for a log of the startup processes to see if a driver failed
                      to load, in which case the simplest solution might be to reinstall the
                      system.

                      Bye
                      Hugh Dobbs
                    • Steve Kane
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 17, 2008
                        On Jan 16, 2008, at 9:38 AM, Nancy Hyden Woodward wrote:

                        > I tried the Macmini forum yesterday but did not get any help there.
                        > My desktop does not show any CD icon but, I cannot insert a CD in the
                        > slot.

                        If you have iTunes on the Mac mini, there is an "Eject Disk" command
                        in the "Controls" menu.
                      • Nancy Hyden Woodward
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 17, 2008
                          I thank you all for your suggestions and have filed them all for
                          future problems. Do not know how it happened, but during the night
                          the CD, which indeed was there, popped out on its own. It never did
                          show up on the desktop.
                          Nancy
                          On Jan 17, 2008, at 5:42 AM, hnd101 wrote:

                          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John LeMay <kc2kth@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> Hi Nancy,
                          >>
                          >> If there is a disk stuck in the drive, you may be able to force it to
                          >> eject using one of the methods described here:
                          >>
                          >> http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20041011075232575
                          >>
                          >> Opening a command shell and typing "drutil tray eject" looks like the
                          >> simplest method to me after trying the eject key on the keyboard.
                          >> Nice
                          >> part about the command method is it gives you some feedback unlike
                          >> the
                          >> eject button.
                          >>

                          > Since this is a MacMini you are probably using an old keyboard, so it
                          > probably does not have an eject button. It may even be a PC keyboard.
                          >
                          > The standard apple-E eject command won't work if there is no CD icon
                          > because the icon needs to be selected, but it is possible that the old
                          > combination of apple-shift-1 (apple-!) works for CD as well as for
                          > floppy disk. On a PC keyboard use ALT for apple key, most likely.
                          >
                          > If you're getting into Unix it might be worth trying to mount the CD,
                          > or asking for a log of the startup processes to see if a driver failed
                          > to load, in which case the simplest solution might be to reinstall the
                          > system.
                          >
                          > Bye
                          > Hugh Dobbs
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Daryl Chinn
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 18, 2008
                            The CD must have heard that a group of WordPerfectors
                            was onto its machinations and decided, after talking
                            with MacMini, that coming out was the better part of
                            valor.

                            Daryl

                          • Edward Mendelson
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 23, 2008
                              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Hyden Woodward <villars@...> wrote:

                              > I thank you all for your suggestions and have filed them all for
                              > future problems. Do not know how it happened, but during the night
                              > the CD, which indeed was there, popped out on its own. It never did

                              For future use, please keep this in mind: a Google search for

                              mac stuck cd

                              instantly produces a page with a dozen different suggestions -
                              far more than you got here. This group is the best possible
                              place to go for WPMac information, but Google is far better
                              for all other questions. All you need to do is enter a simple set
                              of search words, and the first result is almost always the best.
                              You can save yourself a lot of anxiety by going there first.
                            • Bert Knabe
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 23, 2008
                                I'm new to this list, but I also wanted to point out that there are
                                many good support lists, both at Apple and other places like yahoo
                                groups.

                                Bert Knabe
                                Technician
                                Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
                                806-766-2158

                                On Jan 23, 2008, at 8:19 AM, Edward Mendelson wrote:

                                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Hyden Woodward
                                > <villars@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I thank you all for your suggestions and have filed them all for
                                > > future problems. Do not know how it happened, but during the night
                                > > the CD, which indeed was there, popped out on its own. It never did
                                > >

                                > For future use, please keep this in mind: a Google search for
                                >
                                > mac stuck cd
                                >
                                > instantly produces a page with a dozen different suggestions -
                                > far more than you got here. This group is the best possible
                                > place to go for WPMac information, but Google is far better
                                > for all other questions. All you need to do is enter a simple set
                                > of search words, and the first result is almost always the best.
                                > You can save yourself a lot of anxiety by going there first.

                              • Randy B. Singer
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 23, 2008
                                  IBM is set to release all sorts of goodies for iPhone and Macintosh
                                  users next week!

                                  A Lotus Notes e-mail package for businesss users for the iphone.

                                  And Lotus Notes and the FREE Lotus Symphony office suite, which
                                  includes word processing and spreadsheet applications, for the
                                  Macintosh.

                                  http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APPLE_IBM?
                                  SITE=WILAC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
                                • drderbes
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 23, 2008
                                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > IBM is set to release all sorts of goodies for iPhone and Macintosh
                                    > users next week!
                                    >
                                    > A Lotus Notes e-mail package for businesss users for the iphone.
                                    >
                                    > And Lotus Notes and the FREE Lotus Symphony office suite, which
                                    > includes word processing and spreadsheet applications, for the
                                    > Macintosh.
                                    >
                                    > http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APPLE_IBM?
                                    > SITE=WILAC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

                                    Clearly, it must be time to sell Apple stock!

                                    (I'm just being sarcastic. Apple has the greatest quarter in its
                                    history, and the stock drops 20%?!)
                                  • Daryl Chinn
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 23, 2008
                                      Thank you, Bert, and welcome to this group. We talk
                                      about many things here, mostly about WordPerfect for
                                      Macs, but we do wander around that topic in many ways.
                                      Always good to have another place to look, another
                                      person to ask. Computers and software always seem to
                                      be changing, along with their problems.

                                      Daryl

                                      --- Bert Knabe <bert.knabe@...> wrote:

                                      > I'm new to this list, but I also wanted to point out
                                      > that there are
                                      > many good support lists, both at Apple and other
                                      > places like yahoo
                                      > groups.
                                      >
                                      > Bert Knabe
                                      > Technician
                                      > Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
                                      > 806-766-2158
                                      >

                                      > On Jan 23, 2008, at 8:19 AM, Edward Mendelson wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Hyden
                                      > Woodward
                                      > > <villars@...> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I thank you all for your suggestions and have
                                      > filed them all for
                                      > > > future problems. Do not know how it happened,
                                      > but during the night
                                      > > > the CD, which indeed was there, popped out on
                                      > its own. It never did
                                      > > >

                                      > > For future use, please keep this in mind: a Google
                                      > search for
                                      > >
                                      > > mac stuck cd
                                      > >
                                      > > instantly produces a page with a dozen different
                                      > suggestions -
                                      > > far more than you got here. This group is the best
                                      > possible
                                      > > place to go for WPMac information, but Google is
                                      > far better
                                      > > for all other questions. All you need to do is
                                      > enter a simple set
                                      > > of search words, and the first result is almost
                                      > always the best.
                                      > > You can save yourself a lot of anxiety by going
                                      > there first.

                                      > removed]

                                    • Joe Edgell
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 23, 2008
                                        It's called profit taking!

                                        On Jan 23, 2008, at 9:27 PM, drderbes wrote:

                                        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > IBM is set to release all sorts of goodies for iPhone and Macintosh
                                        > > users next week!
                                        > >
                                        > > A Lotus Notes e-mail package for businesss users for the iphone.
                                        > >
                                        > > And Lotus Notes and the FREE Lotus Symphony office suite, which
                                        > > includes word processing and spreadsheet applications, for the
                                        > > Macintosh.
                                        > >
                                        > > http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APPLE_IBM?
                                        > > SITE=WILAC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
                                        > >

                                        > Clearly, it must be time to sell Apple stock!
                                        >
                                        > (I'm just being sarcastic. Apple has the greatest quarter in its
                                        > history, and the stock drops 20%?!)

                                        ________________
                                        Joe Edgell
                                        joe@...
                                        253.468.7874

                                        "Lead me not into temptation; I can find it myself." �Rita Mae Brown

                                      • Rick Albright
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jan 26, 2008
                                          I don't usually have this problem, but I can't seem to access the
                                          link; it goes to a generic Associated Press "blue page." I figured it
                                          was because of a word wrap problem, but copying it all into Text Edit
                                          got me nothing. I copied it into bbEdit, joined the two lines, and
                                          pasted it into my browser, but then I got an "access forbidden" message.

                                          Anyway, . . . . Symphony? That's a blast from the past. I used to
                                          work on the MS-DOS version back in the 1980s.

                                          On Jan 23, 2008, at 8:57 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

                                          > http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APPLE_IBM?
                                          > SITE=WILAC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

                                          “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
                                          --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
                                          from Pink Floyd, The Wall
                                          Rick Albright
                                          logres@...
                                        • Patrick Sheffield
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jan 26, 2008
                                            On Jan 26, 2008, at 4:16 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

                                            > I don't usually have this problem, but I can't seem to access the
                                            > link; it goes to a generic Associated Press "blue page." I figured it
                                            > was because of a word wrap problem, but copying it all into Text Edit
                                            > got me nothing. I copied it into bbEdit, joined the two lines, and
                                            > pasted it into my browser, but then I got an "access forbidden"
                                            > message.

                                            Try this:

                                            http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APPLE_IBM?SITE=WILAC
                                          • William Kearns
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jan 26, 2008
                                              Try this Tiny URL http://tinyurl.com/2hj6jk

                                              On Jan 26, 2008, at 7:16 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

                                              >> http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APPLE_IBM?
                                              >> SITE=WILAC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

                                            • Phillip Jones, CET
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 26, 2008
                                                Try this:
                                                http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APPLE_IBM?SITE=WILAC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

                                                Many Email Clients break html addresses up. Mozilla Products (FireFox,
                                                SeaMonkey) Don't normally do that they recognize it as a URL and sens un
                                                broken

                                                Rick Albright wrote:
                                                > I don't usually have this problem, but I can't seem to access the
                                                > link; it goes to a generic Associated Press "blue page." I figured it
                                                > was because of a word wrap problem, but copying it all into Text Edit
                                                > got me nothing. I copied it into bbEdit, joined the two lines, and
                                                > pasted it into my browser, but then I got an "access forbidden" message.
                                                >
                                                > Anyway, . . . . Symphony? That's a blast from the past. I used to
                                                > work on the MS-DOS version back in the 1980s.
                                                >
                                                > On Jan 23, 2008, at 8:57 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
                                                >
                                                >> http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/APPLE_IBM?
                                                >> SITE=WILAC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

                                                > �No dark sarcasm in the classroom�
                                                > --Roger Waters, �Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2�
                                                > from Pink Floyd, The Wall

                                                Phillip M. Jones, CET |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET, Sterling

                                                If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

                                                mailto:pjones@...

                                                <http://www.vpea.org>
                                              • Randy B. Singer
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jan 26, 2008
                                                  On Jan 26, 2008, at 4:16 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

                                                  > I don't usually have this problem, but I can't seem to access the
                                                  > link; it goes to a generic Associated Press "blue page." I figured it
                                                  > was because of a word wrap problem, but copying it all into Text Edit
                                                  > got me nothing. I copied it into bbEdit, joined the two lines, and
                                                  > pasted it into my browser, but then I got an "access forbidden"
                                                  > message.

                                                  Try this shorter URL:

                                                  http://owagim.notlong.com

                                                  Randy B. Singer

                                                  Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                                                  http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
                                                • Rick Albright
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jan 26, 2008
                                                    That worked. Thanks, Randy (and also the others who replied and
                                                    suggested various alternatives).

                                                    Rick Albright

                                                    On Jan 26, 2008, at 8:26 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

                                                    > On Jan 26, 2008, at 4:16 PM, Rick Albright wrote:
                                                    >
                                                    > > I don't usually have this problem, but I can't seem to access the
                                                    > > link; it goes to a generic Associated Press "blue page." I
                                                    > figured it
                                                    > > was because of a word wrap problem, but copying it all into Text
                                                    > Edit
                                                    > > got me nothing. I copied it into bbEdit, joined the two lines, and
                                                    > > pasted it into my browser, but then I got an "access forbidden"
                                                    > > message.
                                                    >
                                                    > Try this shorter URL:
                                                    >
                                                    > http://owagim.notlong.com

                                                    > Randy B. Singer
                                                    > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
                                                    >
                                                    > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                                                    > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

                                                    “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
                                                    --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
                                                    from Pink Floyd, The Wall
                                                    Rick Albright
                                                    logres@...
                                                  • Ed Gould
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jan 26, 2008
                                                      On Jan 26, 2008, at 6:16 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

                                                      > I don't usually have this problem, but I can't seem to access the
                                                      > link; it goes to a generic Associated Press "blue page." I figured it
                                                      > was because of a word wrap problem, but copying it all into Text Edit
                                                      > got me nothing. I copied it into bbEdit, joined the two lines, and
                                                      > pasted it into my browser, but then I got an "access forbidden"
                                                      > message.
                                                      >
                                                      > Anyway, . . . . Symphony? That's a blast from the past. I used to
                                                      > work on the MS-DOS version back in the 1980s.
                                                      >
                                                      > On Jan 23, 2008, at 8:57 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

                                                      It worked fine for me Safari 3.0.4

                                                      I "think" I had forwarded this to the list a few weeks ago.

                                                      Ed
                                                    • Nancy Hyden Woodward
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Feb 15, 2008
                                                        Can you point me to which forum I should go to get help using the PDF
                                                        "system" that came with Tiger.
                                                        Someone e-mailed me yesterday (I was shopping around for an PDF
                                                        programme that would work for a Mac) that Tiger has it.
                                                        Lo and behold, it does, with no mention of it in the manual.
                                                        I would like to find out how to limit sale of an ebook to one
                                                        download per person.
                                                        Thanks.
                                                        Nancy
                                                      • Randy B. Singer
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Feb 15, 2008
                                                          On Feb 15, 2008, at 7:55 AM, Nancy Hyden Woodward wrote:

                                                          > Can you point me to which forum I should go to get help using the PDF
                                                          > "system" that came with Tiger.

                                                          It should all be in the help system in OS X.

                                                          http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8152.html

                                                          http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8197.html

                                                          http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/9021.html

                                                          Randy B. Singer

                                                          Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                                                          http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
                                                        • Mike Robbins
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Feb 15, 2008
                                                            Anyone interested in this topic may want to think twice about
                                                            password protection. There apparently are many ways of hacking the
                                                            security feature of PDFs. Take a look at some of the hits on a Google
                                                            search to-

                                                            hacking pdf encryption

                                                            If you find a safe method of password protection, I too would be
                                                            interested.

                                                            -Mike

                                                            On Feb 15, 2008, at 7:55 AM, Nancy Hyden Woodward wrote:

                                                            > Can you point me to which forum I should go to get help using the PDF
                                                            > "system" that came with Tiger.
                                                            > Someone e-mailed me yesterday (I was shopping around for an PDF
                                                            > programme that would work for a Mac) that Tiger has it.
                                                            > Lo and behold, it does, with no mention of it in the manual.
                                                            > I would like to find out how to limit sale of an ebook to one
                                                            > download per person.
                                                            > Thanks.
                                                            > Nancy

                                                          • Edward Mendelson
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Feb 15, 2008
                                                              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Hyden Woodward <villars@...> wrote:

                                                              > Can you point me to which forum I should go to get help using the PDF

                                                              Google is ALWAYS your friend. Search

                                                              pdf encryption

                                                              or similar topics. Always go to Google first.
                                                            • Rick Albright
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Feb 15, 2008
                                                                On Feb 15, 2008, at 6:49 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:
                                                                > -Google is ALWAYS your friend. Search
                                                                >
                                                                > pdf encryption
                                                                >
                                                                > or similar topics. Always go to Google first.

                                                                Unless you live in one of a number of countries where Google
                                                                routinely censors their search engine results: China immediately
                                                                comes to mind. A search of "Tiananmen Square," for example, returns
                                                                articles about the massacre, and a number of famous images such as
                                                                the student facing down a line of tanks (espec. if you search with
                                                                the images option). However, if you do the same search from China
                                                                (and you can actually access the Chinese version of Google from the
                                                                US), and you'll see ads for travel companies, and nice, pleasant
                                                                pictures. Massacre? What massacre? Let Google help your repressive
                                                                regime keep information from its citizens. "Do no evil"?

                                                                It's also worth noting that Google's ranking of search results favors
                                                                not just its paid advertisers, but sites that have the most links
                                                                (which is one reason that the interesting but highly suspect
                                                                Wikipedia often shows up at or near the top of the results).