Re: WordPerfect for Mac in 2008

  • tobias_the_dreamer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2008
      > As I posted a few days ago:
      >
      > > With 900 commands and objects, the macro language is more
      > > powerful than many stand-alone languages. The depth of
      > > implementation of program functionality from page formatting to
      > > academic text processing is unequalled, and I think that at
      > > this point it's the fastest word processor available, including
      > > under SheepShaver.
      >
      > In more general terms, the intuitive elegance and simple
      > usability of the program make it stand out. You can easily
      > design a newsletter with it. The macro language plus
      > Applescript support a speed and consistency of layout that
      > was never equalled until recent versions of Quark Xpress
      > and then InDesign. Irregular text wrap and continued text
      > flow are the only major things it doesn't have. Only Framemaker
      > ever equalled its long-document and reference/list capabilities.
      >
      > John R.

      Thank you very much! This is a lot of information as I come from a
      group of people who are basically "All word processors are the same
      and as long as they look like MS Word, I can handle it." I'm
      interested in learning more about WP for Mac, including things like
      Reveal Codes and more about macros. With all the literature on this
      site, I guess I've got some work cut out for me! The only concerns I
      have are the fact that I'm not sure if I /could/ actually design a
      newsletter without learning a lot about macros and some of the more
      advanced features. I'm also worried about the stability of SheepShaver
      and whether or not it is safe to write papers or draft newsletters in
      WordPerfect and expect it to perform like OS X. It may take a while of
      learning, reading, and processing before I consider replacing MS Word
      or Pages with WP.

      In regard to MS Word, Randy Singer has informed me of some speed tips
      with Word 04, such as reducing the number of AutoCorrect and
      AutoFormat features and some of the processes that MS Office launches
      at the startup of Word. I'm sure speed with MS Word and Intel will
      also improve with the release of Office 08 next week.

      Thanks again!