Re: WordPerfect for Mac in 2008

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2008
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, tobias_the_dreamer <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Anyway, in looking for other alternatives, I stumbled upon this site.
      > Not to say I'm going to be designing newsletters with the old
      > WordPerfect running SheepShaver, but I'd like to know if it has any
      > place today, in 2008. Is there anything that REALLY makes it signature
      > or makes it stand out against more modern word processors like Word
      > 07/08 or Apple Pages? I understand a lot of people here probably
      > prefer WordPerfect to some other word processors, but can it be used
      > for everyday tasks and still be efficient or would an intel Mac user
      > be just as well off with something else?

      As I posted a few days ago:

      > With 900 commands and objects, the macro language is more
      > powerful than many stand-alone languages. The depth of
      > implementation of program functionality from page formatting to
      > academic text processing is unequalled, and I think that at
      > this point it's the fastest word processor available, including
      > under SheepShaver.

      In more general terms, the intuitive elegance and simple
      usability of the program make it stand out. You can easily
      design a newsletter with it. The macro language plus
      Applescript support a speed and consistency of layout that
      was never equalled until recent versions of Quark Xpress
      and then InDesign. Irregular text wrap and continued text
      flow are the only major things it doesn't have. Only Framemaker
      ever equalled its long-document and reference/list capabilities.

      John R.
    • tobias_the_dreamer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2008
        > As I posted a few days ago:
        >
        > > With 900 commands and objects, the macro language is more
        > > powerful than many stand-alone languages. The depth of
        > > implementation of program functionality from page formatting to
        > > academic text processing is unequalled, and I think that at
        > > this point it's the fastest word processor available, including
        > > under SheepShaver.
        >
        > In more general terms, the intuitive elegance and simple
        > usability of the program make it stand out. You can easily
        > design a newsletter with it. The macro language plus
        > Applescript support a speed and consistency of layout that
        > was never equalled until recent versions of Quark Xpress
        > and then InDesign. Irregular text wrap and continued text
        > flow are the only major things it doesn't have. Only Framemaker
        > ever equalled its long-document and reference/list capabilities.
        >
        > John R.

        Thank you very much! This is a lot of information as I come from a
        group of people who are basically "All word processors are the same
        and as long as they look like MS Word, I can handle it." I'm
        interested in learning more about WP for Mac, including things like
        Reveal Codes and more about macros. With all the literature on this
        site, I guess I've got some work cut out for me! The only concerns I
        have are the fact that I'm not sure if I /could/ actually design a
        newsletter without learning a lot about macros and some of the more
        advanced features. I'm also worried about the stability of SheepShaver
        and whether or not it is safe to write papers or draft newsletters in
        WordPerfect and expect it to perform like OS X. It may take a while of
        learning, reading, and processing before I consider replacing MS Word
        or Pages with WP.

        In regard to MS Word, Randy Singer has informed me of some speed tips
        with Word 04, such as reducing the number of AutoCorrect and
        AutoFormat features and some of the processes that MS Office launches
        at the startup of Word. I'm sure speed with MS Word and Intel will
        also improve with the release of Office 08 next week.

        Thanks again!