Re: New SheepShaver build

    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
      Reports about the Jan 2 08 build include:

      most problems with the unix folder are
      solved. Icons work, and applications can be
      launched from the unix folder, i.e. do not
      have to be on the SS volume to run. (!) Also
      more stable then the previous version.

      John R.
    • ted_m_p_lee
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 4, 2008
        <jrethorst@...> wrote:

        > Reports about the Jan 2 08 build include:
        >
        > most problems with the unix folder are
        > solved. Icons work, and applications can be
        > launched from the unix folder, i.e. do not
        > have to be on the SS volume to run. (!) Also
        > more stable then the previous version.

        Any word on whether someone is likely to make a PPC or Universal
        binary from that any time soon? (I couldn't find anything myself on
        the emaculation forum, which appears to be where that's discussed.)
        I suppose I could try compiling it myself, but that's a pretty steep
        learning curve! (I actually have used a makefile on a unix system in
        a former life -- but that was years ago!)

        Ted Lee
        Minnetonka, MN
      • ted_m_p_lee
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 4, 2008
          I just went back to the emaculation forum and found the following
          posted this morning:

          "SheepShaver Universal build 05 Jan. 2008 available

          Get it here:

          http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/Downloads/SheepShave
          r_05_01_2008_UB.zip"

          (watch for line wrap on that -- the filename just by itself is
          SheepShaver_05_01_2008_UB.zip)

          I'll have to give it a try this evening.

          Anyone know if I should delete the hidden files (prefs and nvram, if
          I remember right) previous invocations of it created before running
          the new version?

          Ted Lee
          Minnetonka, MN

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst"
          > <jrethorst@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Reports about the Jan 2 08 build include:
          > >
          > > most problems with the unix folder are
          > > solved. Icons work, and applications can be
          > > launched from the unix folder, i.e. do not
          > > have to be on the SS volume to run. (!) Also
          > > more stable then the previous version.
          > >

          > Any word on whether someone is likely to make a PPC or Universal
          > binary from that any time soon? (I couldn't find anything myself
          on
          > the emaculation forum, which appears to be where that's
          discussed.)
          > I suppose I could try compiling it myself, but that's a pretty
          steep
          > learning curve! (I actually have used a makefile on a unix system
          in
          > a former life -- but that was years ago!)
          >
          > Ted Lee
          > Minnetonka, MN

        • ted_m_p_lee
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 4, 2008

            > Reports about the Jan 2 08 build include:
            >
            > most problems with the unix folder are
            > solved. Icons work, and applications can be
            > launched from the unix folder, i.e. do not
            > have to be on the SS volume to run. (!) Also
            > more stable then the previous version.

            Hmmmmmm... given that, is there any reason to keep anything on the
            SheepShaver.dmg other than the system itself? What happens if there
            are aliases in the "unix" "folder" to other places in the OS X file
            system -- can Sheepshaver follow those? (yes, I know that could be
            easily tested, but I'm not at any of my Macs.)

            Ted
          • ted_m_p_lee
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 5, 2008

              > I just went back to the emaculation forum and found the following
              > posted this morning:

              OK, seems to work (PowerBook G4, still under Tiger.) At first I got a garbled and
              unreadable display (like when a TV goes out of synch.) This new version includes the
              preference settings (configuration) as a menu item -- and in that the screen resolutions
              can only be selected values (scroll down pick lists for H and V). With the old version I'd
              arbitrarily picked 1000 x 700 (or something like that) -- once I'd picked 1024 x 768 from
              the available possibilities it worked fine. There is a "maximum" setting for each -- haven't
              tried that yet.

              I haven't tried anything fancy yet.

              Ted Lee
              Minnetonka, MN

              > "SheepShaver Universal build 05 Jan. 2008 available
              >
              > Get it here:
              >
              > http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/Downloads/SheepShave
              > r_05_01_2008_UB.zip"
              >
              > (watch for line wrap on that -- the filename just by itself is
              > SheepShaver_05_01_2008_UB.zip)
              >
              > I'll have to give it a try this evening.
              >
              > Anyone know if I should delete the hidden files (prefs and nvram, if
              > I remember right) previous invocations of it created before running
              > the new version?
              >
              > Ted Lee
              > Minnetonka, MN

            • Alexander
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 5, 2008
                I downloaded the SheepShaver build and the instructions from this
                group and I cannot find the SheepShaverGUI in the download. Where is
                this or do I still need this?

                Alex
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 7, 2008
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander" <wold.alexander@...> wrote:

                  > I downloaded the SheepShaver build and the instructions from this
                  > group and I cannot find the SheepShaverGUI in the download. Where is
                  > this or do I still need this?

                  It's in the SheepShaver Install package, but instead I'd use the
                  SheepShaver Prefs file, a separate download here.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 2, 2009