WordPerfect for Mac

  • Dave Galey
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
      I am a newbie with the Mac
      I have been a Windows guy for nearly 30 years and I am trying to
      migrate to the Mac

      I have a dual processor G5, (NOT an INTEL) with OS X 5.1 Leopard

      I am trying to load and use WordPerfect 3.5e
      I have downloaded SheepShaver

      I have not had any luck loading WP

      I have also purchased a copy of OS 9.2 but am not able to load it either

      Any suggestion would be helpful
      I hate the idea of using WORD

      Dave Galey
      Author/Engineer
      www.winlockgaley.com
      dave@...
    • Thomas Briant
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
        Dave:

        I have 4 suggestions for you.

        1. Download and install John Rethorst's pre-built installation of
        Sheepshaver and Word Perfect 3.5e from the files area of this
        WordPerfect group. The name of the file is "SS-WP.zip" and it's 243
        megabytes in size. Unzip it, read the instructions, run the
        installation script, and do the rest of the steps necessary to install
        it. In twenty minutes you should have WordPerfect up and running.

        2. As for the copy of OS 9.2, it won't work with Sheepshaver.
        Sheepshaver only works with OS 7.5.2 through 9.0.4. I'd save the 9.2
        disk, install a second hard drive in your G5, and install OS X 10.4,
        which is the last version of OS X to support the Classic OS and then
        install OS 9.2. You can boot between the two hard drives.

        3. As for the issue "I need a word processor/office suite other than
        Word/Office that works on a G5 Mac right now!", I would suggest
        Neooffice 2.2.2. Go to www.neooffice.org and download the PowerPC
        version. It also comes in an Intel version, which you don't want. It's
        donation-ware. Neooffice is an enhanced derivative of the StarOffice/
        OpenOffice office suite seen on Windows and LInux systems.

        4. http://sally.neooffice.org/neojava_userguide/
        NeoOffice_User_Guide.pdf is the Web address for the user guide to
        Neooffice.

        Tom Briant