[wpmac] Re: New SheepShaver build

  • ted_m_p_lee
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008

      > The 2008 version. Works OK for me after one day's testing.
      >
      > Geoff

      Intel Mac or PPC?

      Ted
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
        I'm on an Intel Mac. Don't know about PPC.

        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008

          > You say this is an "Intel-only" build and yet the description
          > contains "-Add support for 64-bit MacOS X for PowerPC" -- any idea
          > what that's about?

          The source code includes that enhancement. The 1/2/08 build is
          apparently Intel-only.

          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
            Reports about the Jan 2 08 build include:

            most problems with the unix folder are
            solved. Icons work, and applications can be
            launched from the unix folder, i.e. do not
            have to be on the SS volume to run. (!) Also
            more stable then the previous version.

            John R.
          • ted_m_p_lee
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 4, 2008
              <jrethorst@...> wrote:

              > Reports about the Jan 2 08 build include:
              >
              > most problems with the unix folder are
              > solved. Icons work, and applications can be
              > launched from the unix folder, i.e. do not
              > have to be on the SS volume to run. (!) Also
              > more stable then the previous version.

              Any word on whether someone is likely to make a PPC or Universal
              binary from that any time soon? (I couldn't find anything myself on
              the emaculation forum, which appears to be where that's discussed.)
              I suppose I could try compiling it myself, but that's a pretty steep
              learning curve! (I actually have used a makefile on a unix system in
              a former life -- but that was years ago!)

              Ted Lee
              Minnetonka, MN
            • ted_m_p_lee
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 4, 2008
                I just went back to the emaculation forum and found the following
                posted this morning:

                "SheepShaver Universal build 05 Jan. 2008 available

                Get it here:

                http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/Downloads/SheepShave
                r_05_01_2008_UB.zip"

                (watch for line wrap on that -- the filename just by itself is
                SheepShaver_05_01_2008_UB.zip)

                I'll have to give it a try this evening.

                Anyone know if I should delete the hidden files (prefs and nvram, if
                I remember right) previous invocations of it created before running
                the new version?

                Ted Lee
                Minnetonka, MN

                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@...>
                wrote:

                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst"
                > <jrethorst@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Reports about the Jan 2 08 build include:
                > >
                > > most problems with the unix folder are
                > > solved. Icons work, and applications can be
                > > launched from the unix folder, i.e. do not
                > > have to be on the SS volume to run. (!) Also
                > > more stable then the previous version.
                > >

                > Any word on whether someone is likely to make a PPC or Universal
                > binary from that any time soon? (I couldn't find anything myself
                on
                > the emaculation forum, which appears to be where that's
                discussed.)
                > I suppose I could try compiling it myself, but that's a pretty
                steep
                > learning curve! (I actually have used a makefile on a unix system
                in
                > a former life -- but that was years ago!)
                >
                > Ted Lee
                > Minnetonka, MN

              • ted_m_p_lee
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 4, 2008

                  > Reports about the Jan 2 08 build include:
                  >
                  > most problems with the unix folder are
                  > solved. Icons work, and applications can be
                  > launched from the unix folder, i.e. do not
                  > have to be on the SS volume to run. (!) Also
                  > more stable then the previous version.

                  Hmmmmmm... given that, is there any reason to keep anything on the
                  SheepShaver.dmg other than the system itself? What happens if there
                  are aliases in the "unix" "folder" to other places in the OS X file
                  system -- can Sheepshaver follow those? (yes, I know that could be
                  easily tested, but I'm not at any of my Macs.)

                  Ted
                • ted_m_p_lee
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 5, 2008

                    > I just went back to the emaculation forum and found the following
                    > posted this morning:

                    OK, seems to work (PowerBook G4, still under Tiger.) At first I got a garbled and
                    unreadable display (like when a TV goes out of synch.) This new version includes the
                    preference settings (configuration) as a menu item -- and in that the screen resolutions
                    can only be selected values (scroll down pick lists for H and V). With the old version I'd
                    arbitrarily picked 1000 x 700 (or something like that) -- once I'd picked 1024 x 768 from
                    the available possibilities it worked fine. There is a "maximum" setting for each -- haven't
                    tried that yet.

                    I haven't tried anything fancy yet.

                    Ted Lee
                    Minnetonka, MN

                    > "SheepShaver Universal build 05 Jan. 2008 available
                    >
                    > Get it here:
                    >
                    > http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/Downloads/SheepShave
                    > r_05_01_2008_UB.zip"
                    >
                    > (watch for line wrap on that -- the filename just by itself is
                    > SheepShaver_05_01_2008_UB.zip)
                    >
                    > I'll have to give it a try this evening.
                    >
                    > Anyone know if I should delete the hidden files (prefs and nvram, if
                    > I remember right) previous invocations of it created before running
                    > the new version?
                    >
                    > Ted Lee
                    > Minnetonka, MN

                  • Alexander
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 5, 2008
                      I downloaded the SheepShaver build and the instructions from this
                      group and I cannot find the SheepShaverGUI in the download. Where is
                      this or do I still need this?

                      Alex
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 7, 2008
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander" <wold.alexander@...> wrote:

                        > I downloaded the SheepShaver build and the instructions from this
                        > group and I cannot find the SheepShaverGUI in the download. Where is
                        > this or do I still need this?

                        It's in the SheepShaver Install package, but instead I'd use the
                        SheepShaver Prefs file, a separate download here.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 2, 2009