Re: [wpmac] Re: New SheepShaver build

  • Bill Bossart
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
      I can't find this download page. Has it been withdrawn?

      Bill Bossart
      whbossart@...

    • Patrick Sheffield
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
        It has been wrapped:

        http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/SheepShaver_UB_22_08_2007.zip

        as doubtless mine will be, but maybe not.

        Patrick

      • ted_m_p_lee
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
          You say this is an "Intel-only" build and yet the description
          contains "-Add support for 64-bit MacOS X for PowerPC" -- any idea
          what that's about?

          Ted

          <jrethorst@...> wrote:

          > Geoff, was this the build you had trouble with?
          >
          > IAC there's an Intel-only build of 2 Jan 2008, at:

          http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/SheepShave
          r_02_01_20
          > 08.zip
          >
          > with updates:
          >
          > -Add SSSE3 optimizations (Intel Core 2 CPUs and newer). This brings
          an overall +10%
          > performance improvement in AltiVec Fractal Carbon.
          > -Detect SSE 4.1
          > -Add support for 64-bit MacOS X for PowerPC (untested beyond "it
          compiles").
          > -Exception handler code[1] always contains the fault address
          nowadays. So make it the
          > default fast path but keep provisions to check that at run-time
          first. This yields a nearly
          > 4x improvement in SIGSEGV recovery.
          > -Fix build with new MacOS X extfs implementation (in C++).
          >
          > I've made some improvements to the SheepShaver volume,
          > although nothing major, so I'm ready for a new build, once some
          > feedback comes in on this one. I'll also replace SheepShaverGUI
          > with the cocoa SheepShaver Prefs.
          >
          > John R.

        • ted_m_p_lee
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Sheffield
            <psheffield@...> wrote:

            > It has been wrapped:

            http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/SheepShave
            r_UB_22_08_2007.zip

            > as doubtless mine will be, but maybe not.

            But which one should be used (and for what systems?) --

            SheepShaver_UB_22_08_2007.zip

            or

            SheepShaver_02_01_2008.zip?

            Ted Lee
            Minnetonka, MN
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
              The 2008 version. Works OK for me after one day's testing.

              Geoff

              >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Sheffield
              ><psheffield@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> It has been wrapped:
              >>

              >http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/SheepShave
              >r_UB_22_08_2007.zip
              >>
              >> as doubtless mine will be, but maybe not.
              >>

              >But which one should be used (and for what systems?) --
              >
              >SheepShaver_UB_22_08_2007.zip
              >
              >or
              >
              >SheepShaver_02_01_2008.zip?
              >
              >Ted Lee
              >Minnetonka, MN
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • ted_m_p_lee
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008

                > The 2008 version. Works OK for me after one day's testing.
                >
                > Geoff

                Intel Mac or PPC?

                Ted
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
                  I'm on an Intel Mac. Don't know about PPC.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008

                    > You say this is an "Intel-only" build and yet the description
                    > contains "-Add support for 64-bit MacOS X for PowerPC" -- any idea
                    > what that's about?

                    The source code includes that enhancement. The 1/2/08 build is
                    apparently Intel-only.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
                      Reports about the Jan 2 08 build include:

                      most problems with the unix folder are
                      solved. Icons work, and applications can be
                      launched from the unix folder, i.e. do not
                      have to be on the SS volume to run. (!) Also
                      more stable then the previous version.

                      John R.
                    • ted_m_p_lee
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 4, 2008
                        <jrethorst@...> wrote:

                        > Reports about the Jan 2 08 build include:
                        >
                        > most problems with the unix folder are
                        > solved. Icons work, and applications can be
                        > launched from the unix folder, i.e. do not
                        > have to be on the SS volume to run. (!) Also
                        > more stable then the previous version.

                        Any word on whether someone is likely to make a PPC or Universal
                        binary from that any time soon? (I couldn't find anything myself on
                        the emaculation forum, which appears to be where that's discussed.)
                        I suppose I could try compiling it myself, but that's a pretty steep
                        learning curve! (I actually have used a makefile on a unix system in
                        a former life -- but that was years ago!)

                        Ted Lee
                        Minnetonka, MN
                      • ted_m_p_lee
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 4, 2008
                          I just went back to the emaculation forum and found the following
                          posted this morning:

                          "SheepShaver Universal build 05 Jan. 2008 available

                          Get it here:

                          http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/Downloads/SheepShave
                          r_05_01_2008_UB.zip"

                          (watch for line wrap on that -- the filename just by itself is
                          SheepShaver_05_01_2008_UB.zip)

                          I'll have to give it a try this evening.

                          Anyone know if I should delete the hidden files (prefs and nvram, if
                          I remember right) previous invocations of it created before running
                          the new version?

                          Ted Lee
                          Minnetonka, MN

                          wrote:

                          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst"
                          > <jrethorst@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Reports about the Jan 2 08 build include:
                          > >
                          > > most problems with the unix folder are
                          > > solved. Icons work, and applications can be
                          > > launched from the unix folder, i.e. do not
                          > > have to be on the SS volume to run. (!) Also
                          > > more stable then the previous version.
                          > >

                          > Any word on whether someone is likely to make a PPC or Universal
                          > binary from that any time soon? (I couldn't find anything myself
                          on
                          > the emaculation forum, which appears to be where that's
                          discussed.)
                          > I suppose I could try compiling it myself, but that's a pretty
                          steep
                          > learning curve! (I actually have used a makefile on a unix system
                          in
                          > a former life -- but that was years ago!)
                          >
                          > Ted Lee
                          > Minnetonka, MN

                        • ted_m_p_lee
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 4, 2008

                            > Reports about the Jan 2 08 build include:
                            >
                            > most problems with the unix folder are
                            > solved. Icons work, and applications can be
                            > launched from the unix folder, i.e. do not
                            > have to be on the SS volume to run. (!) Also
                            > more stable then the previous version.

                            Hmmmmmm... given that, is there any reason to keep anything on the
                            SheepShaver.dmg other than the system itself? What happens if there
                            are aliases in the "unix" "folder" to other places in the OS X file
                            system -- can Sheepshaver follow those? (yes, I know that could be
                            easily tested, but I'm not at any of my Macs.)

                            Ted
                          • ted_m_p_lee
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 5, 2008

                              > I just went back to the emaculation forum and found the following
                              > posted this morning:

                              OK, seems to work (PowerBook G4, still under Tiger.) At first I got a garbled and
                              unreadable display (like when a TV goes out of synch.) This new version includes the
                              preference settings (configuration) as a menu item -- and in that the screen resolutions
                              can only be selected values (scroll down pick lists for H and V). With the old version I'd
                              arbitrarily picked 1000 x 700 (or something like that) -- once I'd picked 1024 x 768 from
                              the available possibilities it worked fine. There is a "maximum" setting for each -- haven't
                              tried that yet.

                              I haven't tried anything fancy yet.

                              Ted Lee
                              Minnetonka, MN

                              > "SheepShaver Universal build 05 Jan. 2008 available
                              >
                              > Get it here:
                              >
                              > http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/Downloads/SheepShave
                              > r_05_01_2008_UB.zip"
                              >
                              > (watch for line wrap on that -- the filename just by itself is
                              > SheepShaver_05_01_2008_UB.zip)
                              >
                              > I'll have to give it a try this evening.
                              >
                              > Anyone know if I should delete the hidden files (prefs and nvram, if
                              > I remember right) previous invocations of it created before running
                              > the new version?
                              >
                              > Ted Lee
                              > Minnetonka, MN

                            • Alexander
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 5, 2008
                                I downloaded the SheepShaver build and the instructions from this
                                group and I cannot find the SheepShaverGUI in the download. Where is
                                this or do I still need this?

                                Alex
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 7, 2008
                                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander" <wold.alexander@...> wrote:

                                  > I downloaded the SheepShaver build and the instructions from this
                                  > group and I cannot find the SheepShaverGUI in the download. Where is
                                  > this or do I still need this?

                                  It's in the SheepShaver Install package, but instead I'd use the
                                  SheepShaver Prefs file, a separate download here.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 2, 2009