[wpmac] Re: New SheepShaver build

    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 2, 2008
      John

      Yes, that was the Sheepshaver that caused me problems. I'll download
      this new version, though, and road test it.

      Thanks

      Geoff

      >Geoff, was this the build you had trouble with?
      >
      >IAC there's an Intel-only build of 2 Jan 2008, at:
      >
      >http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/SheepShaver_02_01_20
      >08.zip
      >
      >with updates:
      >
      >-Add SSSE3 optimizations (Intel Core 2 CPUs and newer). This brings
      >an overall +10%
      >performance improvement in AltiVec Fractal Carbon.
      >-Detect SSE 4.1
      >-Add support for 64-bit MacOS X for PowerPC (untested beyond "it compiles").
      >-Exception handler code[1] always contains the fault address
      >nowadays. So make it the
      >default fast path but keep provisions to check that at run-time
      >first. This yields a nearly
      >4x improvement in SIGSEGV recovery.
      >-Fix build with new MacOS X extfs implementation (in C++).
      >
      >I've made some improvements to the SheepShaver volume,
      >although nothing major, so I'm ready for a new build, once some
      >feedback comes in on this one. I'll also replace SheepShaverGUI
      >with the cocoa SheepShaver Prefs.
      >
      >John R.
      >

      >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@>
      >> wrote:
      >> >
      >> > Worthwhile changes to the source code, apparently. Download at
      >> >
      >> > http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/
      >> > SheepShaver_UB_22_08_2007.zip
      >> >

      >> Would you recommend replacing the version in your "release" (the one
      >> found in links) with this one? (I'm moving several machines up to
      >> Leopard so this is now more than an idle curiousity!)
      >>
      >> Ted Lee
      >> Minnetonka, MN
      >>

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Bill Bossart
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
        I can't find this download page. Has it been withdrawn?

        Bill Bossart
        whbossart@...

      • Patrick Sheffield
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
          It has been wrapped:

          http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/SheepShaver_UB_22_08_2007.zip

          as doubtless mine will be, but maybe not.

          Patrick

        • ted_m_p_lee
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
            You say this is an "Intel-only" build and yet the description
            contains "-Add support for 64-bit MacOS X for PowerPC" -- any idea
            what that's about?

            Ted

            <jrethorst@...> wrote:

            > Geoff, was this the build you had trouble with?
            >
            > IAC there's an Intel-only build of 2 Jan 2008, at:

            http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/SheepShave
            r_02_01_20
            > 08.zip
            >
            > with updates:
            >
            > -Add SSSE3 optimizations (Intel Core 2 CPUs and newer). This brings
            an overall +10%
            > performance improvement in AltiVec Fractal Carbon.
            > -Detect SSE 4.1
            > -Add support for 64-bit MacOS X for PowerPC (untested beyond "it
            compiles").
            > -Exception handler code[1] always contains the fault address
            nowadays. So make it the
            > default fast path but keep provisions to check that at run-time
            first. This yields a nearly
            > 4x improvement in SIGSEGV recovery.
            > -Fix build with new MacOS X extfs implementation (in C++).
            >
            > I've made some improvements to the SheepShaver volume,
            > although nothing major, so I'm ready for a new build, once some
            > feedback comes in on this one. I'll also replace SheepShaverGUI
            > with the cocoa SheepShaver Prefs.
            >
            > John R.

          • ted_m_p_lee
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Sheffield
              <psheffield@...> wrote:

              > It has been wrapped:

              http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/SheepShave
              r_UB_22_08_2007.zip

              > as doubtless mine will be, but maybe not.

              But which one should be used (and for what systems?) --

              SheepShaver_UB_22_08_2007.zip

              or

              SheepShaver_02_01_2008.zip?

              Ted Lee
              Minnetonka, MN
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
                The 2008 version. Works OK for me after one day's testing.

                Geoff

                >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Sheffield
                ><psheffield@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> It has been wrapped:
                >>

                >http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/SheepShave
                >r_UB_22_08_2007.zip
                >>
                >> as doubtless mine will be, but maybe not.
                >>

                >But which one should be used (and for what systems?) --
                >
                >SheepShaver_UB_22_08_2007.zip
                >
                >or
                >
                >SheepShaver_02_01_2008.zip?
                >
                >Ted Lee
                >Minnetonka, MN
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • ted_m_p_lee
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008

                  > The 2008 version. Works OK for me after one day's testing.
                  >
                  > Geoff

                  Intel Mac or PPC?

                  Ted
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
                    I'm on an Intel Mac. Don't know about PPC.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008

                      > You say this is an "Intel-only" build and yet the description
                      > contains "-Add support for 64-bit MacOS X for PowerPC" -- any idea
                      > what that's about?

                      The source code includes that enhancement. The 1/2/08 build is
                      apparently Intel-only.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
                        Reports about the Jan 2 08 build include:

                        most problems with the unix folder are
                        solved. Icons work, and applications can be
                        launched from the unix folder, i.e. do not
                        have to be on the SS volume to run. (!) Also
                        more stable then the previous version.

                        John R.
                      • ted_m_p_lee
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 4, 2008
                          <jrethorst@...> wrote:

                          > Reports about the Jan 2 08 build include:
                          >
                          > most problems with the unix folder are
                          > solved. Icons work, and applications can be
                          > launched from the unix folder, i.e. do not
                          > have to be on the SS volume to run. (!) Also
                          > more stable then the previous version.

                          Any word on whether someone is likely to make a PPC or Universal
                          binary from that any time soon? (I couldn't find anything myself on
                          the emaculation forum, which appears to be where that's discussed.)
                          I suppose I could try compiling it myself, but that's a pretty steep
                          learning curve! (I actually have used a makefile on a unix system in
                          a former life -- but that was years ago!)

                          Ted Lee
                          Minnetonka, MN
                        • ted_m_p_lee
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 4, 2008
                            I just went back to the emaculation forum and found the following
                            posted this morning:

                            "SheepShaver Universal build 05 Jan. 2008 available

                            Get it here:

                            http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/Downloads/SheepShave
                            r_05_01_2008_UB.zip"

                            (watch for line wrap on that -- the filename just by itself is
                            SheepShaver_05_01_2008_UB.zip)

                            I'll have to give it a try this evening.

                            Anyone know if I should delete the hidden files (prefs and nvram, if
                            I remember right) previous invocations of it created before running
                            the new version?

                            Ted Lee
                            Minnetonka, MN

                            wrote:

                            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst"
                            > <jrethorst@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Reports about the Jan 2 08 build include:
                            > >
                            > > most problems with the unix folder are
                            > > solved. Icons work, and applications can be
                            > > launched from the unix folder, i.e. do not
                            > > have to be on the SS volume to run. (!) Also
                            > > more stable then the previous version.
                            > >

                            > Any word on whether someone is likely to make a PPC or Universal
                            > binary from that any time soon? (I couldn't find anything myself
                            on
                            > the emaculation forum, which appears to be where that's
                            discussed.)
                            > I suppose I could try compiling it myself, but that's a pretty
                            steep
                            > learning curve! (I actually have used a makefile on a unix system
                            in
                            > a former life -- but that was years ago!)
                            >
                            > Ted Lee
                            > Minnetonka, MN

                          • ted_m_p_lee
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 4, 2008

                              > Reports about the Jan 2 08 build include:
                              >
                              > most problems with the unix folder are
                              > solved. Icons work, and applications can be
                              > launched from the unix folder, i.e. do not
                              > have to be on the SS volume to run. (!) Also
                              > more stable then the previous version.

                              Hmmmmmm... given that, is there any reason to keep anything on the
                              SheepShaver.dmg other than the system itself? What happens if there
                              are aliases in the "unix" "folder" to other places in the OS X file
                              system -- can Sheepshaver follow those? (yes, I know that could be
                              easily tested, but I'm not at any of my Macs.)

                              Ted
                            • ted_m_p_lee
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 5, 2008

                                > I just went back to the emaculation forum and found the following
                                > posted this morning:

                                OK, seems to work (PowerBook G4, still under Tiger.) At first I got a garbled and
                                unreadable display (like when a TV goes out of synch.) This new version includes the
                                preference settings (configuration) as a menu item -- and in that the screen resolutions
                                can only be selected values (scroll down pick lists for H and V). With the old version I'd
                                arbitrarily picked 1000 x 700 (or something like that) -- once I'd picked 1024 x 768 from
                                the available possibilities it worked fine. There is a "maximum" setting for each -- haven't
                                tried that yet.

                                I haven't tried anything fancy yet.

                                Ted Lee
                                Minnetonka, MN

                                > "SheepShaver Universal build 05 Jan. 2008 available
                                >
                                > Get it here:
                                >
                                > http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/Downloads/SheepShave
                                > r_05_01_2008_UB.zip"
                                >
                                > (watch for line wrap on that -- the filename just by itself is
                                > SheepShaver_05_01_2008_UB.zip)
                                >
                                > I'll have to give it a try this evening.
                                >
                                > Anyone know if I should delete the hidden files (prefs and nvram, if
                                > I remember right) previous invocations of it created before running
                                > the new version?
                                >
                                > Ted Lee
                                > Minnetonka, MN

                              • Alexander
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 5, 2008
                                  I downloaded the SheepShaver build and the instructions from this
                                  group and I cannot find the SheepShaverGUI in the download. Where is
                                  this or do I still need this?

                                  Alex
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 7, 2008
                                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander" <wold.alexander@...> wrote:

                                    > I downloaded the SheepShaver build and the instructions from this
                                    > group and I cannot find the SheepShaverGUI in the download. Where is
                                    > this or do I still need this?

                                    It's in the SheepShaver Install package, but instead I'd use the
                                    SheepShaver Prefs file, a separate download here.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 2, 2009