Re: [wpmac] Help for new MacBook Pro user

  • John LeMay
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 2007
      On Dec 31, 2007, at 6:49 PM, Gregory Sigman wrote:

      > > Should I just bite the bullet and install it under
      > >Windows (unfortunately, I have to install Windows to run a
      > >couple of work programs that aren't available in Mac
      > >versions.
      >
      > If you must have Windows anyway, then by all means throw WP 3.5 for
      > Mac into the bit bucket and use the proper Windows version, whatever
      > that number is these days.

      I posted here a couple of weeks ago when, after purchasing my first
      Mac - a MacBook Pro - I needed to find a way for my wife to be able to
      use the library of WP docs she has accumulated over the years. While
      her main computer is still an XP based PC, she does tend to work in my
      office occasionally since it's near the printer and at the other end
      of the house from her machine.

      Anyhow, I went the route of installing Parallels Desktop (the 15 day
      demo version) 3.0 and loading XP and WP 12 in a virtual machine. The
      XP virtual machine runs at the full speed of a "real" PC, or at least
      it sure does to me. My MBP has a 2.4 Core 2 Duo processor, so there is
      significant virtualization assisting technology "on the die" and I
      also opted for a model with 2GB of RAM, so I have plenty of
      horsepower. I give the VM 512MB RAM which seems to be plenty. There is
      a "windowed" mode in Parallels where the instance of Windows and all
      Windows apps remain in a single window as well as a "seamless" mode
      where WP appears to be running right on the Mac desktop. Very
      impressive. Printing, networking, and everything else worked
      immediately with no additional configuration following the install, so
      it couldn't have been simpler.

      If you don't mind spending the $80 for Parallels and you already have
      a version of WP you like (too bad WP for Java never really "got there"
      or I'd be using that, possibly the same goes for WP8 for Linux, and
      may not have needed Parallels) and a copy of Windows to install, this
      is certainly a simple way to go. Personally, dual booting was always
      too annoying for me to bother with. I've done it in the past (OS/2 -
      Windows, OS/2 - Linux, Linux - Windows) and never liked it. Running a
      second OS in a windowed VM is far less annoying to me.

      Good luck in whatever you choose.

      Happy New Year to the group!

    • Nancy Hyden Woodward
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
        Last month, I upgraded OS 10.3.9 (Panther) on the macmini to 0S 10.4.6
        (Tiger).
        If not on this list, can you point me where I might learn how to
        recapture the then existing e-mails on Panther before the upgrade?
        The address book made the move but not the e-mails themselves. I am
        desperate for information from a couple of them.
        Could I get them back by returning to Tiger?
        Thanks.
        Nancy Hyden Woodward

        On Jan 1, 2008, at 12:52 AM, John Rethorst wrote:

        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Sigman <sigman@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        >> If you must have Windows anyway, then by all means throw WP 3.5 for
        >> Mac into the bit bucket and use the proper Windows version, whatever
        >> that number is these days.
        >>
        >> Why do I say that? Two main reasons. First, you're obviously coming
        >> from a Windows background. The WP that you already know and love is
        >> WP for Windows, which is quite a bit different from the old WP for
        >> Macintosh, believe it or not. Secondly, you will very likely have
        >> fewer confusing or frustrating issues if you go with WP for Windows
        >> than if you go the SheepShaver route. SheepShaver is wonderful for us
        >> crusty old Macophiles or for people who have thousands of files in
        >> the old WP Mac format, but personally, I cannot with a straight face
        >> recommend it for new users. That would be just silly.
        >
        > I can recommend it for new users. As you point out, WPWin
        > is much different from WPMac: the latter, along with WP DOS
        > 5.1, was designed by a group, now disbanded, that had a
        > special talent for interface design, making these products
        > very popular in their time. WPMac with SheepShaver is as
        > full-featured, intuitive and elegant as it ever was, and
        > faster than it ever was. It's also free and, once downloaded,
        > a matter of minutes to set up. Most Windows programs take
        > more time to install and configure. IMO WPMac with
        > SheepShaver is still the best word processor ever written.
        >
        > John R.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Thomas Briant
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
          Ms. Woodward:

          I would suggest you try www.123macmini.com.

          And don't forget to state:

          What type of computer processor (PowerPC or Intel)
          Amount of memory.
          Size of hard drive

          And what mail program you are moving from on Panther and what mail
          program you are moving to on Tiger.

          Tom Briant
          On Jan 1, 2008, at 6:33 AM, Nancy Hyden Woodward wrote:

          > Last month, I upgraded OS 10.3.9 (Panther) on the macmini to 0S 10.4.6
          > (Tiger).
          > If not on this list, can you point me where I might learn how to
          > recapture the then existing e-mails on Panther before the upgrade?
          > The address book made the move but not the e-mails themselves. I am
          > desperate for information from a couple of them.
          > Could I get them back by returning to Tiger?
          > Thanks.
          > Nancy Hyden Woodward
          >
          > On Jan 1, 2008, at 12:52 AM, John Rethorst wrote:
          >
          >> --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Sigman <sigman@...>
          >> wrote:
          >>
          >>> If you must have Windows anyway, then by all means throw WP 3.5 for
          >>> Mac into the bit bucket and use the proper Windows version, whatever
          >>> that number is these days.
          >>>
          >>> Why do I say that? Two main reasons. First, you're obviously coming
          >>> from a Windows background. The WP that you already know and love is
          >>> WP for Windows, which is quite a bit different from the old WP for
          >>> Macintosh, believe it or not. Secondly, you will very likely have
          >>> fewer confusing or frustrating issues if you go with WP for Windows
          >>> than if you go the SheepShaver route. SheepShaver is wonderful for
          >>> us
          >>> crusty old Macophiles or for people who have thousands of files in
          >>> the old WP Mac format, but personally, I cannot with a straight face
          >>> recommend it for new users. That would be just silly.
          >>
          >> I can recommend it for new users. As you point out, WPWin
          >> is much different from WPMac: the latter, along with WP DOS
          >> 5.1, was designed by a group, now disbanded, that had a
          >> special talent for interface design, making these products
          >> very popular in their time. WPMac with SheepShaver is as
          >> full-featured, intuitive and elegant as it ever was, and
          >> faster than it ever was. It's also free and, once downloaded,
          >> a matter of minutes to set up. Most Windows programs take
          >> more time to install and configure. IMO WPMac with
          >> SheepShaver is still the best word processor ever written.
          >>
          >> John R.
          >>

          >> Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Nancy Hyden Woodward
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008