Help for new MacBook Pro user

  • dmettam
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2007
      I recently made the switch to Mac, looking forward to
      getting rid of Windows. I am still learning my way around,
      and some things don't seem to be intuitive for me. I have
      used (and loved) WordPerfect for at least 15 years,
      starting with WP 5.1 DOS.

      I have read your posts about WP 3.5 and 4, but I don't seem
      to know how to install the 3.5 file I downloaded. I am very
      confused, and frustrated. I want to continue using WP - I
      wasn't impressed with either the iWork or Word programs
      that came with trial periods.

      Do I install WP 3.5 under SheepShaver? When I try to
      install WP 3.5 under the Mac OS (10.4.11) , I get a message
      box asking which application I want to use to install it.
      How should I answer? What do I need to do to make this
      word? Should I just bite the bullet and install it under
      Windows (unfortunately, I have to install Windows to run a
      couple of work programs that aren't available in Mac
      versions.

      Any help for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks!
    • Patricia S. Rudden
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 31, 2007
        I just installed SheepShaver with the WP3.5e included on my own Mac
        Book Pro a couple of weeks ago, and I've been meaning to write to
        this list to say how wonderful it is. It's a very straightforward
        install but be sure to follow the directions. Read the text files
        that explain the process first, and then read them again as you walk
        through the install--a Mac Book Pro gives you enough real estate on
        the screen to do the install while reading the directions. And then
        what a pleasure it is to see a Classic desktop and application in the
        beautiful MBP display.

        Thanks, John, and everyone involved in making this possible. It's
        one of a number of word processors I use, ad always a special treat
        in the Classic environment.

        Pat Rudden
        NYC

        On Dec 30, 2007, at 10:04 PM, dmettam wrote:

        > I recently made the switch to Mac, looking forward to
        > getting rid of Windows. I am still learning my way around,
        > and some things don't seem to be intuitive for me. I have
        > used (and loved) WordPerfect for at least 15 years,
        > starting with WP 5.1 DOS.
        >
        > I have read your posts about WP 3.5 and 4, but I don't seem
        > to know how to install the 3.5 file I downloaded. I am very
        > confused, and frustrated. I want to continue using WP - I
        > wasn't impressed with either the iWork or Word programs
        > that came with trial periods.
        >
        > Do I install WP 3.5 under SheepShaver? When I try to
        > install WP 3.5 under the Mac OS (10.4.11) , I get a message
        > box asking which application I want to use to install it.
        > How should I answer? What do I need to do to make this
        > word? Should I just bite the bullet and install it under
        > Windows (unfortunately, I have to install Windows to run a
        > couple of work programs that aren't available in Mac
        > versions.
        >
        > Any help for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.
        > Thanks!
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Gregory Sigman
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 31, 2007
          > Should I just bite the bullet and install it under
          >Windows (unfortunately, I have to install Windows to run a
          >couple of work programs that aren't available in Mac
          >versions.

          If you must have Windows anyway, then by all means throw WP 3.5 for
          Mac into the bit bucket and use the proper Windows version, whatever
          that number is these days.

          Why do I say that? Two main reasons. First, you're obviously coming
          from a Windows background. The WP that you already know and love is
          WP for Windows, which is quite a bit different from the old WP for
          Macintosh, believe it or not. Secondly, you will very likely have
          fewer confusing or frustrating issues if you go with WP for Windows
          than if you go the SheepShaver route. SheepShaver is wonderful for us
          crusty old Macophiles or for people who have thousands of files in
          the old WP Mac format, but personally, I cannot with a straight face
          recommend it for new users. That would be just silly.

          Just my opinion, of course.

          --
          Greg Sigman, Senior Library Associate
          Ohio University Music/Dance Library
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 31, 2007
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Sigman <sigman@...> wrote:

            > If you must have Windows anyway, then by all means throw WP 3.5 for
            > Mac into the bit bucket and use the proper Windows version, whatever
            > that number is these days.
            >
            > Why do I say that? Two main reasons. First, you're obviously coming
            > from a Windows background. The WP that you already know and love is
            > WP for Windows, which is quite a bit different from the old WP for
            > Macintosh, believe it or not. Secondly, you will very likely have
            > fewer confusing or frustrating issues if you go with WP for Windows
            > than if you go the SheepShaver route. SheepShaver is wonderful for us
            > crusty old Macophiles or for people who have thousands of files in
            > the old WP Mac format, but personally, I cannot with a straight face
            > recommend it for new users. That would be just silly.

            I can recommend it for new users. As you point out, WPWin
            is much different from WPMac: the latter, along with WP DOS
            5.1, was designed by a group, now disbanded, that had a
            special talent for interface design, making these products
            very popular in their time. WPMac with SheepShaver is as
            full-featured, intuitive and elegant as it ever was, and
            faster than it ever was. It's also free and, once downloaded,
            a matter of minutes to set up. Most Windows programs take
            more time to install and configure. IMO WPMac with
            SheepShaver is still the best word processor ever written.

            John R.
          • John LeMay
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 31, 2007
              On Dec 31, 2007, at 6:49 PM, Gregory Sigman wrote:

              > > Should I just bite the bullet and install it under
              > >Windows (unfortunately, I have to install Windows to run a
              > >couple of work programs that aren't available in Mac
              > >versions.
              >
              > If you must have Windows anyway, then by all means throw WP 3.5 for
              > Mac into the bit bucket and use the proper Windows version, whatever
              > that number is these days.

              I posted here a couple of weeks ago when, after purchasing my first
              Mac - a MacBook Pro - I needed to find a way for my wife to be able to
              use the library of WP docs she has accumulated over the years. While
              her main computer is still an XP based PC, she does tend to work in my
              office occasionally since it's near the printer and at the other end
              of the house from her machine.

              Anyhow, I went the route of installing Parallels Desktop (the 15 day
              demo version) 3.0 and loading XP and WP 12 in a virtual machine. The
              XP virtual machine runs at the full speed of a "real" PC, or at least
              it sure does to me. My MBP has a 2.4 Core 2 Duo processor, so there is
              significant virtualization assisting technology "on the die" and I
              also opted for a model with 2GB of RAM, so I have plenty of
              horsepower. I give the VM 512MB RAM which seems to be plenty. There is
              a "windowed" mode in Parallels where the instance of Windows and all
              Windows apps remain in a single window as well as a "seamless" mode
              where WP appears to be running right on the Mac desktop. Very
              impressive. Printing, networking, and everything else worked
              immediately with no additional configuration following the install, so
              it couldn't have been simpler.

              If you don't mind spending the $80 for Parallels and you already have
              a version of WP you like (too bad WP for Java never really "got there"
              or I'd be using that, possibly the same goes for WP8 for Linux, and
              may not have needed Parallels) and a copy of Windows to install, this
              is certainly a simple way to go. Personally, dual booting was always
              too annoying for me to bother with. I've done it in the past (OS/2 -
              Windows, OS/2 - Linux, Linux - Windows) and never liked it. Running a
              second OS in a windowed VM is far less annoying to me.

              Good luck in whatever you choose.

              Happy New Year to the group!

            • Nancy Hyden Woodward
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
                Last month, I upgraded OS 10.3.9 (Panther) on the macmini to 0S 10.4.6
                (Tiger).
                If not on this list, can you point me where I might learn how to
                recapture the then existing e-mails on Panther before the upgrade?
                The address book made the move but not the e-mails themselves. I am
                desperate for information from a couple of them.
                Could I get them back by returning to Tiger?
                Thanks.
                Nancy Hyden Woodward

                On Jan 1, 2008, at 12:52 AM, John Rethorst wrote:

                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Sigman <sigman@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                >> If you must have Windows anyway, then by all means throw WP 3.5 for
                >> Mac into the bit bucket and use the proper Windows version, whatever
                >> that number is these days.
                >>
                >> Why do I say that? Two main reasons. First, you're obviously coming
                >> from a Windows background. The WP that you already know and love is
                >> WP for Windows, which is quite a bit different from the old WP for
                >> Macintosh, believe it or not. Secondly, you will very likely have
                >> fewer confusing or frustrating issues if you go with WP for Windows
                >> than if you go the SheepShaver route. SheepShaver is wonderful for us
                >> crusty old Macophiles or for people who have thousands of files in
                >> the old WP Mac format, but personally, I cannot with a straight face
                >> recommend it for new users. That would be just silly.
                >
                > I can recommend it for new users. As you point out, WPWin
                > is much different from WPMac: the latter, along with WP DOS
                > 5.1, was designed by a group, now disbanded, that had a
                > special talent for interface design, making these products
                > very popular in their time. WPMac with SheepShaver is as
                > full-featured, intuitive and elegant as it ever was, and
                > faster than it ever was. It's also free and, once downloaded,
                > a matter of minutes to set up. Most Windows programs take
                > more time to install and configure. IMO WPMac with
                > SheepShaver is still the best word processor ever written.
                >
                > John R.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Thomas Briant
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
                  Ms. Woodward:

                  I would suggest you try www.123macmini.com.

                  And don't forget to state:

                  What type of computer processor (PowerPC or Intel)
                  Amount of memory.
                  Size of hard drive

                  And what mail program you are moving from on Panther and what mail
                  program you are moving to on Tiger.

                  Tom Briant
                  On Jan 1, 2008, at 6:33 AM, Nancy Hyden Woodward wrote:

                  > Last month, I upgraded OS 10.3.9 (Panther) on the macmini to 0S 10.4.6
                  > (Tiger).
                  > If not on this list, can you point me where I might learn how to
                  > recapture the then existing e-mails on Panther before the upgrade?
                  > The address book made the move but not the e-mails themselves. I am
                  > desperate for information from a couple of them.
                  > Could I get them back by returning to Tiger?
                  > Thanks.
                  > Nancy Hyden Woodward
                  >
                  > On Jan 1, 2008, at 12:52 AM, John Rethorst wrote:
                  >
                  >> --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Sigman <sigman@...>
                  >> wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> If you must have Windows anyway, then by all means throw WP 3.5 for
                  >>> Mac into the bit bucket and use the proper Windows version, whatever
                  >>> that number is these days.
                  >>>
                  >>> Why do I say that? Two main reasons. First, you're obviously coming
                  >>> from a Windows background. The WP that you already know and love is
                  >>> WP for Windows, which is quite a bit different from the old WP for
                  >>> Macintosh, believe it or not. Secondly, you will very likely have
                  >>> fewer confusing or frustrating issues if you go with WP for Windows
                  >>> than if you go the SheepShaver route. SheepShaver is wonderful for
                  >>> us
                  >>> crusty old Macophiles or for people who have thousands of files in
                  >>> the old WP Mac format, but personally, I cannot with a straight face
                  >>> recommend it for new users. That would be just silly.
                  >>
                  >> I can recommend it for new users. As you point out, WPWin
                  >> is much different from WPMac: the latter, along with WP DOS
                  >> 5.1, was designed by a group, now disbanded, that had a
                  >> special talent for interface design, making these products
                  >> very popular in their time. WPMac with SheepShaver is as
                  >> full-featured, intuitive and elegant as it ever was, and
                  >> faster than it ever was. It's also free and, once downloaded,
                  >> a matter of minutes to set up. Most Windows programs take
                  >> more time to install and configure. IMO WPMac with
                  >> SheepShaver is still the best word processor ever written.
                  >>
                  >> John R.
                  >>

                  >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Nancy Hyden Woodward
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008