Can the OSX bar be removed?

  • jeraldbricker
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 26, 2007
      Hi all,

      I downloaded and installed SheepShaver on the new MacBook
      (running OS 10.5.1) my family got for Christmas. I finally
      "bit the bullet" and made the jump to an Intel Macintosh. I
      had turned down upgrades to new machines at work because I
      didn't want to lose the ability to use Wordperfect for Mac.
      (I have over 2,000 files written using WP Mac. Thus, the
      end of Classic is not a trivial issue for me).

      When Classic was killed I decided to take a wait and see
      approach. I figured that someone would come up with a
      solution for those of use wanting to run Classic programs
      on Intel based Macs. My experience installing SheepShaver
      indicates I was correct. I had no trouble configuring
      emulator and getting Wordperfect to run. I want to
      publicly thank all of the developers that have worked on
      SheepShaver and have made it freely available to the rest
      of us. You have done a great service and we are all in
      your debt.

      My current question relates to how Wordperfect looks on my
      desktop. The MacBook's screen is fairly small and I want
      to squeeze every last pixel of useable space. Thus, I want
      to know if there's a way to hide the OSX bar that appears
      above the Classic menu bar that appears about the
      Wordperfect document bar. It may not be a big deal but I
      kind of like the thought of getting that extra little bit
      of room to display the program I'm running, in this case
      Wordperfect.

      Any help would be appreciated. Once again, thanks to all
      of you for all you do to keep Wordperfect running on the
      best computer platform on the market.

      Cheers!

      JB
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 26, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldbricker" <jeraldbricker@...> wrote:

        > I want to
        > publicly thank all of the developers that have worked on
        > SheepShaver and have made it freely available to the rest
        > of us. You have done a great service and we are all in
        > your debt.

        Christian Bauer and Gwenole Beauchesne did a very good job,
        as are the several people currently working on it.

        > My current question relates to how Wordperfect looks on my
        > desktop. The MacBook's screen is fairly small and I want
        > to squeeze every last pixel of useable space. Thus, I want
        > to know if there's a way to hide the OSX bar that appears
        > above the Classic menu bar that appears about the
        > Wordperfect document bar

        Good question. I'd thought of the "extra" menu bar as the only
        disadvantage SheepShaver had relative to Classic, but didn't look
        for a fix. But I've been playing with Menufela for several hours
        now, and it gives me an extra 35 vertical pixels by hiding the
        OSX menu bar. Version 1 didn't work for me on PPC OS 10.4.11
        but 1.5b2 works fine, at least on 10.4 - the docs don't mention
        Leopard, at least yet. See http://ninjakitten.us/

        John R.
      • John Sandel
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 26, 2007
          Boy, Menufela rocks! 35 more pixels make a useful difference on
          my iBook's 12" screen. Thanks, John.

          JS

          On 12/26/07, John Rethorst <jrethorst@...> wrote:

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com <wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "jeraldbricker" <jeraldbricker@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I want to
          > > publicly thank all of the developers that have worked on
          > > SheepShaver and have made it freely available to the rest
          > > of us. You have done a great service and we are all in
          > > your debt.
          >
          > Christian Bauer and Gwenole Beauchesne did a very good job,
          > as are the several people currently working on it.
          >
          > > My current question relates to how Wordperfect looks on my
          > > desktop. The MacBook's screen is fairly small and I want
          > > to squeeze every last pixel of useable space. Thus, I want
          > > to know if there's a way to hide the OSX bar that appears
          > > above the Classic menu bar that appears about the
          > > Wordperfect document bar
          >
          > Good question. I'd thought of the "extra" menu bar as the only
          > disadvantage SheepShaver had relative to Classic, but didn't look
          > for a fix. But I've been playing with Menufela for several hours
          > now, and it gives me an extra 35 vertical pixels by hiding the
          > OSX menu bar. Version 1 didn't work for me on PPC OS 10.4.11
          > but 1.5b2 works fine, at least on 10.4 - the docs don't mention
          > Leopard, at least yet. See http://ninjakitten.us/

        • J Busch
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 6, 2008
            I have been going through some old post and found this one. Menufela doesn't appear to have been upgraded to work with 10.5, so I did a google search and found this macosxhints.com article. It details a quick edit to the info.plist file in the SheepShaver Package will "hide" the OSX menu bar in presentation mode. Presentation mode means that if you mouse over the top of the screen the OSX menu bar will show. John I don't know but you could include this as an option in your WP downloadable zip file.

            -Jonathan

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 6, 2008
              The link seems to have been lost when sent with yahoo webmail. Here it is in text,
              http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070118003804854

              -Jonathan

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 7, 2008
                Terrific tip! Thanks Jonathan.

                John R.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 23, 2008
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, J Busch <job4031@...> wrote:

                  > I have been going through some old post and found this one.
                  > Menufela doesn't appear to have been upgraded to work with
                  > 10.5, so I did a google search and found this macosxhints.com
                  > article. It details a quick edit to the info.plist file in the
                  > SheepShaver Package will "hide" the OSX menu bar in presentation
                  > mode. Presentation mode means that if you mouse over the top
                  > of the screen the OSX menu bar will show. John I don't know but
                  > you could include this as an option in your WP downloadable zip file.

                  > http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070118003804854

                  I can't get this to work. I hope I'm doing something wrong, since it
                  would be a nice addition to the SS environment.

                  John R.
                • Smokey Ardisson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 24, 2008
                    On Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:16 pm ((PDT)), "John Rethorst"
                    <jrethorst@...> wrote:

                    >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, J Busch <job4031@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070118003804854
                    >
                    >I can't get this to work. I hope I'm doing something wrong, since it
                    >would be a nice addition to the SS environment.

                    In addition to making sure you choose "Number" if you use Property
                    List Editor to make the changes, you'll have to update the
                    LaunchServices database after making changes. Moving the app out of
                    /Applications (e.g., to the Desktop) and then later moving it back
                    into /Applications should cause LS to re-parse the .plist and update
                    the database.

                    Note I haven't tried this particular hint with SS (or any app), but
                    updating the LS database is a commonly-forgotten step needed when
                    changing most things in an Info.plist.

                    Smokey
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 27, 2008
                      Works now, using Plist Editor Pro. Apparently TextWrangler isn't very
                      good for this kind of plist. Heh.

                      This is nice. I had the SS window set to 855 pixels vertically, and have
                      now set it to 875. An extra line or two of text, although you have to
                      move the window up when you first open SS.

                      John R.

                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson <smokey.ardisson@...>
                      wrote:

                      > On Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:16 pm ((PDT)), "John Rethorst"
                      > <jrethorst@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, J Busch <job4031@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > >> http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070118003804854
                      > >
                      > >I can't get this to work. I hope I'm doing something wrong, since it
                      > >would be a nice addition to the SS environment.
                      >
                      > In addition to making sure you choose "Number" if you use Property
                      > List Editor to make the changes, you'll have to update the
                      > LaunchServices database after making changes. Moving the app out of
                      > /Applications (e.g., to the Desktop) and then later moving it back
                      > into /Applications should cause LS to re-parse the .plist and update
                      > the database.
                    • J Busch
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
                        Glad you got it working, I don't know why the text editor didn't work for you.
                        It might be because it is very picky about syntax and variable order.
                        I think I will keep the number at 3 since 4 also hides the applications dock.
                        I have also been trying to figure a way for the SS window to automatically
                        shift up to the top of the screen instead of leaving the gap for the menu.
                        Applescripts don't seem to work, may have to program it into SS?

                        -Jonathan

                        Sent from my iPod

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
                          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, J Busch <job4031@...> wrote:

                          > I have also been trying to figure a way for the SS window to automatically
                          > shift up to the top of the screen instead of leaving the gap for the menu.
                          > Applescripts don't seem to work, may have to program it into SS?

                          I tried an Applescript, but you're right, it's not scriptable. It would actually
                          be easier for someone to add the core suite of Applescript support, e.g.
                          the move command and the window object, than it would for them to
                          add the specific move, testing first for the presentation mode.

                          I don't know whether GUI scripting supports a mouse drag like it does
                          a click, but I'll take a look. IAC it'snot a problem to move the window
                          while SS is loading. And the extra line or two of text is nice.