Re: Thinking of getting a Mac...double entendre

  • pjandlar
    Message 1 of 61 , Dec 5, 2007
      I still have an old comic - possibly a Cathy - that pokes fun at the Mac with a line like
      "now put the little mouse in the little house....." and then follows up with some DOS, after
      which she goes back to the cute and easy Mac.
      The Mac was too cute and too easy to use - people equated easy to use with lack of
      power, when in fact it was quite the opposite, it took more power to build in the ease of
      use.

      > Jobs and Wozniak shot themselves in the foot when they named their
      > computer Apple and, even more, gave it a logo with a bite taken out.
      > Business became interested in PCs quickly, were understandably
      > cautious, and did not want to spend millions on "Apples". Despite a
      > lead time of _two years_ before IBM released its PC, Apple blew the
      > chance to have the market dominance that Windows enjoys today.
      >
      > John R.
      >

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "hnd/general" <newtownw@> wrote:
      > >
      > > True...
      > > And the machine code monitor for the original Apple II was partly written by
      > > A. Baum (Apfelbaum?), and the first floating-point BASIC for it was
      > > Applesoft (Apfelsaft?)...
      > > Bye
      > > Hugh

    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 61 of 61 , Dec 31, 2007
        On Dec 27, 2007, at 2:00 PM, Face Uranus wrote:

        > Viruses for profit, I'm not so sure, but spyware and
        > adware is most definitely created with a profit in
        > mind.

        True. But since there is no spyware or adware for the Macintosh that
        is disseminated via Web sites or via e-mail, it is kind of moot at
        the moment.

        > . You
        > can't say that since Mac has 5% market share it should
        > have 5% of the viruses. It just doesn't work that way.
        > The mac is a little more difficult to crack than a pc
        > but there's no incentive to even take a shot when the
        > target is so small and pcs are everywhere.

        I'm afraid that you have swallowed the propaganda of anti-Macintosh
        bigots. This propaganda doesn't stand up to even the smallest amount
        of logical scrutiny.

        Apple estimates that there is an installed base of close to 30
        million Macs. That is not an insignificant market (for malware
        writers or legitimate software developers.)

        To say that there aren't enough Macs out there for malware writers to
        find the Mac to be a significant target, you would have to extend
        that to say that there aren't enough Macs for anyone, even legitimate
        software developers, to find the Mac market to be profitable. But we
        know that that is far from the case. There are tens of thousands of
        software applications that developers have written for the Macintosh:
        http://guide.apple.com/index.lasso

        I highly recommend that you have a look at the articles that I have
        previously cited:

        Apple Changes Its Tune on Viruses by David Pogue
        http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/08/25/25pogues-posts-4/

        Mac Viruses By The Numbers
        http://www.macobserver.com/editorial/2003/08/29.1.shtml

        Broken Windows
        http://daringfireball.net/2004/06/broken_windows
        So Witty (followup to Broken Windows)
        http://daringfireball.net/2004/06/so_witty

        Is Windows inherently more vulnerable to malware attacks than OS X?
        http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisemac/archives/2006/08/
        is_windows_inhe.html

        > One thing that worries me is the fact that so many
        > macs are sitting around without any protection under
        > the assumption that they are safe simply because they
        > are macs.

        What, *exactly*, is there that can attack a Macintosh that has you
        so worried? (I'm not saying that there is no malware for the
        Macintosh...there is. But most of it is extremely rare, or it can be
        easily avoided.)

        > When that first virus does hit it will hit
        > all of us hard.

        How do you know this? There have already been attempts at Mac
        viruses. Not only have they not hit "all of us hard", they didn't work.
        http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102379

        And what, specifically, do you propose that Mac users do to prepare
        for an unknown virus?

        > And are you absolutely certain that
        > your mac doesn't already have malware installed?
        > Really certain?

        Yes, I'm really, really certain. For two reasons. First, there is
        very little malware for the Macintosh, and what there is is known,
        and exceedingly rare.

        Second, I've been using Virus Barrier since around the time OS X was
        released...about six years ago. Other than Windows virus attachments
        to e-mail, and the odd Word macro virus, it has never detected any
        malware on my Mac. Macworld tested all of the anti-virus programs
        for the Mac, and Virus Barrier was rated highest:
        http://www.macworld.com/2006/06/features/antivirussw/index.php

        There probably will be a significant virus for the Macintosh at some
        point. But people have been predicting this for six years now, and
        it still isn't here. The next virus for OS X, will be *the first*.
        The next one for Windows will be somewhere in the 180,000 range:
        http://vil.nai.com/vil/default.aspx

        Paranoia about malware is a Windows thing. My guess is that you are
        a recent switcher. This is why you switched, so that you don't have
        to be paranoid about malware anymore. I know its hard to give up old
        habits, but for now you can reserve your energy for getting your work
        done, instead of using it to protect your computer from malware.

        Randy B. Singer

        Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html