Re: [wpmac] question about MacBook and Bootcamp

  • Joe Edgell
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
      You may be able to use Codeweaver's CrossOver Mac to get WordPerfect
      to run without a copy of Windows. See http://www.codeweavers.com/
      products/cxmac/

      Joe

      On Dec 1, 2007, at 12:05 AM, Joe Koehl wrote:

      > Pardon my ignorance, but if I have a new MacBook with Bootcamp, can
      > I simply purchase Wordperfect and install it wihout any additional
      > steps? My understanding was that Bootcamp made it possible to run
      > PC designed programs.
      >
      > Thanks for your help,
      >
      > Joey

      ________________
      Joe Edgell
      joe@...
      253.468.7874

      "Lead me not into temptation; I can find it myself." �Rita Mae Brown

    • Marrott, Robert L.
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2007
        I¹ve always wondered where the ³links² section is on the email page. I don¹t
        see it.

        RLM

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2007
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Marrott, Robert L." <marrottr@...> wrote:

          > I¹ve always wondered where the ³links² section is on the email page. I don¹t
          > see it.
          >
          > RLM
          >

          > On 11/30/0

          Links, Files etc. are in the list on the left.

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2007
            Codeweaver does a commercial, polished (and apparently pretty good)
            version of Wine, which provides Windows API's for several OS
            environments, including Linux and OSX. Wine is open-source and seems
            to be benefitting from rapid development. Compatibility with some
            programs is an issue, e.g. MS Word 2000 runs very well; Word 2003
            not as well under the current release. I could not find information about
            WPWin. IAC I plan to stay tuned to both Codeweaver and Wine, the latter
            at http://www.winehq.org/

            John R.

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Joe Edgell <joeedgell@...> wrote:

            > You may be able to use Codeweaver's CrossOver Mac to get WordPerfect
            > to run without a copy of Windows. See http://www.codeweavers.com/
            > products/cxmac/
            >
            > Joe
            >

            > On Dec 1, 2007, at 12:05 AM, Joe Koehl wrote:
            >
            > > Pardon my ignorance, but if I have a new MacBook with Bootcamp, can
            > > I simply purchase Wordperfect and install it wihout any additional
            > > steps? My understanding was that Bootcamp made it possible to run
            > > PC designed programs.
          • thomasbriant
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 4, 2007
              John and all:

              I have installed Codeweavers Crossover for Mac OS X. It has worked well with Office Pro
              97.

              I have tried repeatedly to install WPWIn (versions 9, 11, and X3) to no avail. The install dies
              when the installer cannot detect the Windows Help System.

              So another approach was taken.

              I installed the free Virtualbox virtualization software from www.virtualbox.org. I installed
              Windows XP SP1 and then installed WPWin 9 and 11. Success!

              Virtualbox didn't work with Apple's Bonjour for Windows Printing Wizard software. So I
              used John's setup from Sheepshaver. I specified a Postscript printer in Windows and had it
              print to a file in the printer folder set up by Sheepshaver.

              Virtualbox is not as polished as VMWare or Parallels, but it is FREE! I didn't have to deal
              with the command line, but dealt with a rational GUI.

              Tom Briant