Re: [wpmac] question about MacBook and Bootcamp

  • Chad Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 2007
      Actually, no. You have to install Windows before you can install
      WordPerfect. Just having BootCamp doesn't let you run Windows programs.
      You have to have Windows installed first. All BootCamp does is make it a
      little easier to install Windows in a "dual=boot" format. What dual-boot
      means is that you can "boot up" into Mac OS X, or you can boot up into
      Windows. You can't run both at the same time, (without additional software,
      called virtualization software like Parallels Desktop, VMWare Fusion, or Q).

      If you ever installed Wndows before, it's not much different installing it
      with BootCamp, all you have to is set up partitions on your hard drive.
      This makes your 1 hard drive at like 2 (or more) You'll make one partition
      for Windows and one will be left for Mac OS X.

      Keep in mind, it will be like using 2 computers. You'll have to shut down
      your computer entirely to get from Mac OS X to Windows, and vice versa. You
      won't be able to be working on your Word Perfect program and using a Mac
      program at the same time.

      Now, again I mention virtualization. This will allow you to use the Windows
      version of WordPerfect while running Mac OS X and other programs at the same
      time. You can find out more about it here:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtualization#Platform_virtualization To do
      this you'll need to get a copy of Windows, as well as a virtualization
      program like Parallels or VMWare.

      If you really want to run the most modern Windows version of WordPerfect,
      while enjoying your Mac OS X goodness - I suggest buying Parallels Desktop
      and Windows XP (avoid Vista at all costs!).

      Otherwise, you can install the free SheepShaver found in this group's link
      pages and run the old school WordPerfect under Mac OS 9.

      On Nov 30, 2007 5:05 PM, Joe Koehl <vershandluster@...> wrote:

      > Pardon my ignorance, but if I have a new MacBook with Bootcamp, can I
      > simply purchase Wordperfect and install it wihout any additional steps? My
      > understanding was that Bootcamp made it possible to run PC designed
      > programs.
      >
      > Thanks for your help,
      >
      > Joey

      - Chad Smith
      http://www.chadwsmith.com/

    • Joe Edgell
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
        You may be able to use Codeweaver's CrossOver Mac to get WordPerfect
        to run without a copy of Windows. See http://www.codeweavers.com/
        products/cxmac/

        Joe

        On Dec 1, 2007, at 12:05 AM, Joe Koehl wrote:

        > Pardon my ignorance, but if I have a new MacBook with Bootcamp, can
        > I simply purchase Wordperfect and install it wihout any additional
        > steps? My understanding was that Bootcamp made it possible to run
        > PC designed programs.
        >
        > Thanks for your help,
        >
        > Joey

        ________________
        Joe Edgell
        joe@...
        253.468.7874

        "Lead me not into temptation; I can find it myself." �Rita Mae Brown

      • Marrott, Robert L.
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2007
          I¹ve always wondered where the ³links² section is on the email page. I don¹t
          see it.

          RLM

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2007
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Marrott, Robert L." <marrottr@...> wrote:

            > I¹ve always wondered where the ³links² section is on the email page. I don¹t
            > see it.
            >
            > RLM
            >

            > On 11/30/0

            Links, Files etc. are in the list on the left.

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 4, 2007
              Codeweaver does a commercial, polished (and apparently pretty good)
              version of Wine, which provides Windows API's for several OS
              environments, including Linux and OSX. Wine is open-source and seems
              to be benefitting from rapid development. Compatibility with some
              programs is an issue, e.g. MS Word 2000 runs very well; Word 2003
              not as well under the current release. I could not find information about
              WPWin. IAC I plan to stay tuned to both Codeweaver and Wine, the latter
              at http://www.winehq.org/

              John R.

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Joe Edgell <joeedgell@...> wrote:

              > You may be able to use Codeweaver's CrossOver Mac to get WordPerfect
              > to run without a copy of Windows. See http://www.codeweavers.com/
              > products/cxmac/
              >
              > Joe
              >

              > On Dec 1, 2007, at 12:05 AM, Joe Koehl wrote:
              >
              > > Pardon my ignorance, but if I have a new MacBook with Bootcamp, can
              > > I simply purchase Wordperfect and install it wihout any additional
              > > steps? My understanding was that Bootcamp made it possible to run
              > > PC designed programs.
            • thomasbriant
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 4, 2007
                John and all:

                I have installed Codeweavers Crossover for Mac OS X. It has worked well with Office Pro
                97.

                I have tried repeatedly to install WPWIn (versions 9, 11, and X3) to no avail. The install dies
                when the installer cannot detect the Windows Help System.

                So another approach was taken.

                I installed the free Virtualbox virtualization software from www.virtualbox.org. I installed
                Windows XP SP1 and then installed WPWin 9 and 11. Success!

                Virtualbox didn't work with Apple's Bonjour for Windows Printing Wizard software. So I
                used John's setup from Sheepshaver. I specified a Postscript printer in Windows and had it
                print to a file in the printer folder set up by Sheepshaver.

                Virtualbox is not as polished as VMWare or Parallels, but it is FREE! I didn't have to deal
                with the command line, but dealt with a rational GUI.

                Tom Briant