Sheepshaver on older Powermacs

  • walther2232
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2007
      Thanks Ruth

      I re-read my post, and it could have been much clearer.

      The Problem:
      This is - do you bother with Sheepshaver or not? In my terms, that's
      a problem.
      I think that you have had enough feedback/answers/etc to figure that
      one out.

      New hard drive:
      This come from the assumption that an early G5 has the same chassis
      layout as the G4 machines.
      Opening a G4 will reveal that there are several spare bays for
      additional hard drives - both IDE and SCSI.
      The easiest upgrade is to put another IDE drive over the top of the
      existing one.
      The standard Apple ribbon cable already has a plug interface
      perfectly positioned for this.
      The second drive must be set as a Slave drive.
      It is easier to do if you remove the drive holder (one screw) fit the
      second drive, and then replace.

      This mod gave me the capability of booting from either hard drive
      into whichever OS I wanted:
      10.3.9 on one drive and 9.2 on the other
      For me, the fact that the OSs are totally separate is a benefit -
      other people may prefer to have OSX and Classic on one drive.

      "No occasion to write on a PC"
      All I can say is "Lucky You". I do not get a choice!
      In fact, my University do not even give me a choice of e-mail
      programs (it's Outlook or nothing).
      There are several of us with Macs sitting on our desks, but these
      cannot be connected to the network (admin reasons not technical
      reasons), but I still need Reveal Codes, and a lot of my work gets
      put into RTF to transfer between different machines.

      I hope this clears up a few things. If you can work on just one
      machine, with just one or two OSs to learn, enjoy it while you can.

      Geoff Hone