Need Not Go Through All the SheepShaver Process

  • J.J. McVeigh
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2007
      Rick Albright wrote:

      >If Dave's Mac is a G4 chip (as he said), he does NOT need to go
      >through all the Sheepshaver process. It can run the Classic
      >environment, which is a lot less trouble

      True -- so long as Dave does *not* upgrade his G4 Powerbook to OS
      10.5. I'm not sure what the CPU speed of his Powerbook is. If it
      is, say, 1 GHz, it could run Leopard, but Leopard does not provide
      Classic support. He would need to keep the PB at OS 10.4 or below.

      As to whether running Classic is a lot less trouble than running
      SheepShaver, I have no position on that issue, simply because I have
      not yet run SS. I'm still on OS 10.4. I will upgrade some of my
      machines to OS 10.5, and then I will have no choice on the upgraded
      machines but to run SS, if I want to still be able to run WordPerfect
      (which is a given).

      If Dave's Powerbok will boot into OS 9 directly, then he could run WP
      that way. If I recall correctly, older G4 Powerbooks will boot into
      OS 9, and newer ones won't. Where the demarcation point lies, I do
      not know. The ones that can boot directly into OS 9 have, in all
      likelihood, insufficient CPU speed to meet Apple's official
      requirements for Leopard compatability.
    • Rick Albright
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2007
        On Nov 5, 2007, at 9:41 AM, J.J. McVeigh wrote:

        > As to whether running Classic is a lot less trouble than running
        > SheepShaver, I have no position on that issue, simply because I have
        > not yet run SS. I'm still on OS 10.4. I will upgrade some of my
        > machines to OS 10.5, and then I will have no choice on the upgraded
        > machines but to run SS, if I want to still be able to run WordPerfect
        > (which is a given).

        I have no personal experience with Sheepshaver, as I still have a G4
        Mini, thankfully. I'm basing my previous comment on the enormous
        number of messages on this list reporting on all the complexities (as
        they seem to me) of installing, running, and printing under
        Sheepshaver. After which, you get to run WordPerfect under Mac OS
        7.5, or maybe 8.0 (at least not 9.2). I don't disparage those who
        have invested considerable time in configuring, debugging, and
        otherwise helping list members accomplish this--in fact, we all own
        them (especially John, as usual) a great debt. And if 10.5 really
        does do away with Classic (I've heard conflicting reports on that),
        I'm not sure it really gives us much beyond a lot of gee whiz things
        that, weighed against Classic, are not essential. Not like the
        functionality that came with 10.4 (Spotlight, widgets). Of course,
        one usually needs to upgrade eventually, but there's no rush. 10.4 is
        a superb product that will probably run well for years. ditto the G4.

        Rick Albright