Re: Another Inane Newbie Question

  • hacky8sack
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
      David,
      You have many options.
      If you haven't been using WP yet, you will first need to download and
      set up Rethorst's wonderful combined Sheepshaver/WP 3.5e package.
      Then one conversion route is to use RTF as the intermediate format. In
      MS Word you can save as RTF, open this with WP, and save in WP format.
      The reverse works as well to convert the other way. Several programs
      can open WP format and save in Word: NeoOffice works well.
      Steve

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "david.stanley74"
      <davids5209@...> wrote:

      > Yes, I am another Newbie struggling with a conversion problem. I have
      > read the Conversion Guide (which seems to me to be dealing with folks
      > who wish to convert back and forth from WP DOS to WPMac) and I have
      > looked through the Messages files as best I could. My situation is
      > that I use only Microsoft Word on my PowerBook G4 (V. 10.3.9).
      > Although retired, I have recently accepted a contract with a
      > government agency. This outfit uses only WordPerfect and expects me to
      > provide my report in WP. Thus, my question is, "Is there available
      > here any translators that will enable me to convert back and forth
      > from WP to Word?" My Word program is Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac, V.
      > 11.3; I do not know the version of WP used by the government.
      > Currently we are communicating via e-mail & pdf files. I sincerely
      > appreciate the effort of whoever takes the trouble to reply to this
      > question that has, no doubt, been posted many times. Dave

    • Paul Cowan
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
        On 3 Nov 2007, at 14h10, J.J. McVeigh wrote:

        > You can use NeoOffice <http://www.neooffice.com> to convert documents
        > between Word and WP, or MacLinkPlus
        > <http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/>

        Haven't used MacLinkPlus since it was bundled with the System, circa
        System 8.1 I think. Probably works well.

        NeoOffice, on the other hand, does a good job of converting
        WordPerfect documents **TO** .odt, but cannot output WordPerfect
        format **FROM** that. It uses an open-source converter called libwpd,
        which converts one way only.

        When I get WordPerfect files for translation, because I do all my
        translations in Déjà Vu (which doesn't read WP) I read them into Neo-
        and/or OpenOffice, save as .odt and import that. On output, back in
        OOo, I save as Word 97/2000/XP format and open the resulting .doc
        files in WordPerfect (9 or 10). Of course, this does mean keeping a
        copy of WP on my system; however, it uses only open-source
        converters, neither Corel's nor Microsoft's, except at the very end,
        and produces quite small, idiomatic WP files - indeed, the last one I
        did was 35.4 K as received, and the file I sent back was only 9.5 K !
        All other workflows I've tried have produced significant bloat.

        HTHAL,

        Paul Cowan

        ---

        À Traduire - 206-11 Charlevoix Mtl H3J 2V9
        mailto:paul.cowan@...
      • John Kaufmann
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
          david.stanley74 wrote:

          > ... I have recently accepted a contract with a
          > government agency. This outfit uses only WordPerfect and expects me to
          > provide my report in WP.

          Which WP (version) format?
          --
          John K
        • david.stanley74
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
            thanks for your reply. i have no idea at this point,but, my best
            guess, knowing the organization,is that it is pc-based and a newer
            version. dave
          • Rick Albright
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2007
              If Dave's Mac is a G4 chip (as he said), he does NOT need to go
              through all the Sheepshaver process. It can run the Classic
              environment, which is a lot less trouble.

              I think that RTF might be a good medium to use, given that it does
              not require any additional software. Two potential concerns are
              whether the documents in question have complex features that may not
              be handled by the RTF conversion (a partial list of which might
              include things such as tables of contents, indices, cross references,
              and some types of notes); and I've heard more knowledgeable folks on
              the list say that WordPerfect's RTF conversion tool is not that good.
              But it might be worth a try to see how the documents come out.

              Another option that, again, wouldn't require additional software,
              would be to save WP documents in the WP for Windows (6, 7, 8) format,
              which I'm reasonably sure Word can open. But I don't think Word
              provides a save as WordPerfect option, though I don't have a version
              here that I can check. But you might save it in an earlier Word
              version, one that WP Mac can recognize.

              Rick Albright

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2007
                First, let me thank all of those who bothered to reply to my query on
                this forum. I appreciate the time you took trying to help me. I read
                all your suggestions, did some research, and came up with this course
                of action: I contacted the administrator of the project I will be
                working on and begged like a dog for a dispensation, explaining all
                the difficulties with WP and Mac. I was not too worried about the
                actual translation, but the formatting was a big issue. The agency has
                a fairly strict formatting guide for submitting reports – even if I
                could translate my report I was reasonably sure the formatting would
                be shot. Fortunately for me the administrator saw my point of view and
                will take the WP clause out of the contract.
                I agree with the statement that Microsoft Word is a horrible program.
                I have been using it since I bought my first Mac in 1990 and have
                learned to tame the beast somewhat, but it is still a huge effort. I
                would be a customer if a version of WP is ever developed for OS X.
                Thanks again for all your help. Dave