Re: weirder than weird

  • Geoff WALLACE
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 2, 2007
      Hello Nancy,

      You have invoked White on Black Display from System
      Preferences/International perhaps.

      Keyboard Shortcut is Command Option Control 8.

      --
      Do you own or use an Apple Macintosh Computer?
      If so at some time you will need the macfixer

      From: Nancy Hyden Woodward <villars@...>
      Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 02:52:46 -0400
      To: <wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [wpmac] weirder than weird

      The ddest thing just happened and I do not know whom else to ask for
      how to fix it. Have been working at my MacMini for three house and
      looked up to see black is white and white is black. This e-mail's
      background is black and the written words are white.
      However, the desktop background is whitish and the many folders are
      variations of grey . How did this come to be an how do I correct it?
      Thank you.
      Nancy

      http://www.nancywoodwarddirect.com

    • Frederic W. Erk
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
        Dear Listers,

        I am using WordPerfect 3.5e under Mac OS 9.2.2 for my business mail.
        There is an issue with the display of fonts when I am using the 200%
        zoom. The space, which separates the words in a sentence, appears to
        be visually incorrect. For example, Iamusing instead of I am using.
        When I zoom back to 100%, everything looks correct again. This is
        tiresome, because sometimes I discover the problem only in the
        printed version. I assumed that the problem was due to ATM, so I
        disabled it. The problem is still there, though. The graphic adapter
        is a Formac 32 MB card. Other applications are displayed correctly. I
        am lost!

        Thanks for your help.

        Frederic W. Erk
      • J.J. McVeigh
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
          Frederic W. Erk wrote:

          >I am using WordPerfect 3.5e under Mac OS 9.2.2 for my business mail.
          >There is an issue with the display of fonts when I am using the 200%
          >zoom. The space, which separates the words in a sentence, appears to
          >be visually incorrect. For example, I amusing instead of I am using.
          >When I zoom back to 100%, everything looks correct again. This is
          >tiresome, because sometimes I discover the problem only in the
          >printed version. I assumed that the problem was due to ATM, so I
          >disabled it. The problem is still there, though. The graphic adapter
          >is a Formac 32 MB card. Other applications are displayed correctly. I
          >am lost!
          >
          >Thanks for your help.

          I feel your pain. This is a problem with the magnification feature
          of WP over which I have gritted my teeth for a number of years.
          Unfortunately, I have not been able to come up with a perfect
          solution. I think that the problem results from the workings of the
          visual-rendering engine within WP. I do not believe it is a hardware
          issue. I have experienced it on several different Macs, including
          the one that I am using to write this message. This computer is a
          dual 2.7-GHz G5 with an ATI Radeon 9650 video card that has 256 MB of
          VRAM.

          One thing that you can try is to compose your documents in a larger
          font size (e.g., 14 point type), and to do so using 100%
          magnification. When you have finished writing the draft, Select All,
          and change the font size to a more appropriate value, e.g., 12 point
          type. As necessary, adjust the formatting of the document so that
          you get page breaks at appropriate placed. Then save the document,
          and print it.

          I know that the work-around that I suggest above is a bit of a pain,
          but it does work to a large degree, at least for me. That said, I
          would welcome a "real" solution to this problem. I find it more and
          more of an issue as I get older. I am using a pair of 20-inch Apple
          Cinema displays at their native resolution (1680 x 1050), and at 100%
          magnification, 12-point Times Roman is getting harder and harder to
          read.

          Changing the screen resolution to something lower, e.g., 1024 x 768
          will enlarge the visual appearance of the text, but it is not an
          ideal solution if you are using an Liquid-Crystal Display because the
          sharpness of the display suffers when you are not running it at its
          native resolution, due to the effects of interpolation. For similar
          reasons, I do not find the Zoom feature within the OS (command/alt/=
          and command/alt/-, see the Universal Access pane in System
          Preferences if you are running OS X and Classic) to be a good
          solution.
        • hacky8sack
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
            Dear Frederick,
            This is not a new problem. My normal font is palatino, and this
            misplacement of the cursor on what is displayed has been a problem for
            all versions of WP as far back as I can remember, under all operating
            systems. In essence, it means that the zoom is useless.
            I accept this failing of WP as a tradeoff for all of its many virtues.
            It's only becoming something of a problem as my eyesight gets worse
            with age, but I can still manage at 100% zoom.
            Steve

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Frederic W. Erk"
            <discuss.ihsd@...> wrote:

            > Dear Listers,
            >
            > I am using WordPerfect 3.5e under Mac OS 9.2.2 for my business mail.
            > There is an issue with the display of fonts when I am using the 200%
            > zoom. The space, which separates the words in a sentence, appears to
            > be visually incorrect. For example, Iamusing instead of I am using.
            > When I zoom back to 100%, everything looks correct again. This is
            > tiresome, because sometimes I discover the problem only in the
            > printed version. I assumed that the problem was due to ATM, so I
            > disabled it. The problem is still there, though. The graphic adapter
            > is a Formac 32 MB card. Other applications are displayed correctly. I
            > am lost!
            >
            > Thanks for your help.
            >
            > Frederic W. Erk

          • Daryl Chinn
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
              On my late PPC PB-17 G4 in 9.2.2., I usually enlarge
              my screen text size and have encounter this problem
              regularly. Here are two other workarounds, a little
              awkward, that works, but which takes advantage of WP:

              1) after you've typed your document in enlarged screen
              size, go back to Layout/100%. You should immediately
              see where the formatting might be incorrect.
              Alternatively, you could run a grammar and/or spelling
              check, which would catch words that are running
              together.

              2) If you want to always type at 200% and want to
              immediately see if words are running together, you can
              show/hide codes under Edit. Then look on the Show
              Codes screen to see if there exist spaces where you
              want spaces. I have a keyboard shortcut which lets me
              call this up (or hide it) whenever I'm typing. It
              helps a lot, but so does #1.

              Either or both of these should work. I don't know a
              way to make it easier. My eyes prefer 200%, but the
              problem we face comes along with it, I think. I'm not
              techie enough to know another fix or the reason for
              the problem, so I just deal with it. Let us know if
              you discover other solutions or explanations.

              Daryl

            • Bob Stern
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                >J.J. McVeigh wrote:
                >
                >This is a problem with the magnification feature of WP over which I
                >have gritted my teeth for a number of years.

                Even under "pure" OS 9 and earlier, before the introduction of OS X,
                the Zoom feature of WP always had so much distortion that I found it
                useless.
                --

                Bob Stern
              • Christopher Brown
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                  My recollection is that the "Fractional Character Widths" option under
                  "Corel Word Perfect" in Page Setup affects screen display as well as
                  printing and either checking or unchecking it improves spacing in
                  zoomed view.

                  Christopher

                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 3, 2007
                    <discuss.ihsd@...> wrote:

                    > Dear Listers,
                    >
                    > I am using WordPerfect 3.5e under Mac OS 9.2.2 for my
                    > business mail.
                    > There is an issue with the display of fonts when I am
                    > using the 200% zoom. The space, which separates the
                    > words in a sentence, appears to be visually incorrect.
                    > For example, Iamusing instead of I am using.
                    > When I zoom back to 100%, everything looks correct again.

                    Spacing at various zoom levels is much better when Fractional
                    Character Widths, an option in the Page Setup dialog, is checked.
                    Conversely, type on screen at 100% looks better with it
                    unchecked. To avoid trips to the Page Setup dialog, record
                    two macros: one when you check it and another to uncheck it.
                    You could assign them related keystrokes, e.g. F10 and shift-F10.

                    You could also record macros that change the zoom level, and
                    add the Page Setup switch.

                    With most fonts, a printed page looks better with Fractional
                    checked.

                    John R.
                  • Frederic W. Erk
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                      Dear Listes,

                      Thank you very much for this very interesting read! I will let you
                      know about my other adventures in WP for Mac.

                      Frederic W. Erk
                      http://fredericerk.com
                    • Judyth
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                        >Re: WP 3.5e display problem under Mac OS 9.2.2
                        > Posted by: "John Rethorst" jrethorst@... jrethorst
                        > Date: Sat Nov 3, 2007 7:28 pm ((PDT))
                        >
                        >Spacing at various zoom levels is much better when Fractional
                        >Character Widths, an option in the Page Setup dialog, is checked.
                        >Conversely, type on screen at 100% looks better with it
                        >unchecked. To avoid trips to the Page Setup dialog, record
                        >two macros: one when you check it and another to uncheck it.
                        >You could assign them related keystrokes, e.g. F10 and shift-F10.
                        >
                        >You could also record macros that change the zoom level, and
                        >add the Page Setup switch.
                        >
                        >With most fonts, a printed page looks better with Fractional
                        >checked.
                        >
                        >John R.

                        Apple seems to have "disappeared" CloseView http://www.apple.com/disability/downloads/closeview.sit
                        from its site in the hopes of abolishing OS 9
                        ... but it should still be an option available on your OS 9 installation CD, perhaps hidden somewhere in the Custom Install under "Accessibility" and you can still find it at
                        ftp://trace.wisc.edu/pub/access_utils/mac/closeview.sit.hqx
                        To use it, once installed:
                        Apple menu >Control Panels>CloseView and launch it.
                        It toggles on and off with Opt(alt)+Command+K and you can use "Opt+Command" and the plus or minus to increase or decrease magnification of the whole file on your display.

                        I'm myopic as all get out so small print is okay for me as long as it's really sharp but I used Zoomlens a lot for graphics and DTP when I had a project that involved them... which was before I upgraded to OS 9.2.2 so I can't guarantee it will work as well as it did under 7.5:
                        ftp://trace.wisc.edu/pub/access_utils/mac/zoomlens2.5.sit.hqx
                        (I've just downloaded it to this machine to try it.) That one magnifies the area around your cursor, rather than the whole document, but it was a handy little app for spot-checking things and, as I recall, you could increase or decrease magnification with a click. It's freeware, by the way.

                        HTH,

                        Judyth

                        Judyth Mermelstein "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
                        Montreal, QC <judyth.mermelstein@...>
                        Canada H4G 1J4 <lapomme@...>
                        "A word to the wise is sufficient. For others, use more."
                        "Un mot suffit aux sages; pour les autres, il en faut plus."
                      • hacky8sack
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                          Judyth,
                          Closeview sounds excellent as a possible fix for the zoom problem in
                          WP, and it was available as you said, but unfortunately it doesn't run
                          under Classic. Maybe it will work under SS...
                          Steve

                          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Judyth <judyth.mermelstein@...>
                          wrote:

                          > >Re: WP 3.5e display problem under Mac OS 9.2.2
                          > > Posted by: "John Rethorst" jrethorst@... jrethorst
                          > > Date: Sat Nov 3, 2007 7:28 pm ((PDT))
                          > >
                          > >Spacing at various zoom levels is much better when Fractional
                          > >Character Widths, an option in the Page Setup dialog, is checked.
                          > >Conversely, type on screen at 100% looks better with it
                          > >unchecked. To avoid trips to the Page Setup dialog, record
                          > >two macros: one when you check it and another to uncheck it.
                          > >You could assign them related keystrokes, e.g. F10 and shift-F10.
                          > >
                          > >You could also record macros that change the zoom level, and
                          > >add the Page Setup switch.
                          > >
                          > >With most fonts, a printed page looks better with Fractional
                          > >checked.
                          > >
                          > >John R.
                          >
                          > Apple seems to have "disappeared" CloseView
                          http://www.apple.com/disability/downloads/closeview.sit
                          > from its site in the hopes of abolishing OS 9
                          > ... but it should still be an option available on your OS 9
                          installation CD, perhaps hidden somewhere in the Custom Install under
                          "Accessibility" and you can still find it at
                          > ftp://trace.wisc.edu/pub/access_utils/mac/closeview.sit.hqx
                          > To use it, once installed:
                          > Apple menu >Control Panels>CloseView and launch it.
                          > It toggles on and off with Opt(alt)+Command+K and you can use
                          "Opt+Command" and the plus or minus to increase or decrease
                          magnification of the whole file on your display.

                          > I'm myopic as all get out so small print is okay for me as long as
                          it's really sharp but I used Zoomlens a lot for graphics and DTP when
                          I had a project that involved them... which was before I upgraded to
                          OS 9.2.2 so I can't guarantee it will work as well as it did under 7.5:
                          > ftp://trace.wisc.edu/pub/access_utils/mac/zoomlens2.5.sit.hqx
                          > (I've just downloaded it to this machine to try it.) That one
                          magnifies the area around your cursor, rather than the whole document,
                          but it was a handy little app for spot-checking things and, as I
                          recall, you could increase or decrease magnification with a click.
                          It's freeware, by the way.

                          > HTH,
                          >
                          > Judyth
                          >

                          > ##########################################################
                          > Judyth Mermelstein "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
                          > Montreal, QC <judyth.mermelstein@...>
                          > Canada H4G 1J4 <lapomme@...>
                          > ##########################################################
                          > "A word to the wise is sufficient. For others, use more."
                          > "Un mot suffit aux sages; pour les autres, il en faut plus."

                        • Rick Albright
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                            I don't think it's only the zoom feature. I've regularly noticed that
                            Print Preview does funny things with spacing between characters and
                            words, and even occasionally seems to show characters on top of each
                            otehr. But they print out just fine. I just always assumed that it's
                            only an approximation of how the document will look.

                            Rick Albright
                            On Nov 3, 2007, at 7:02 AM, Frederic W. Erk wrote:

                            > Dear Listers,
                            >
                            > I am using WordPerfect 3.5e under Mac OS 9.2.2 for my business mail.
                            > There is an issue with the display of fonts when I am using the 200%
                            > zoom. The space, which separates the words in a sentence, appears to
                            > be visually incorrect. For example, Iamusing instead of I am using.
                            > When I zoom back to 100%, everything looks correct again. This is
                            > tiresome, because sometimes I discover the problem only in the
                            > printed version. I assumed that the problem was due to ATM, so I
                            > disabled it. The problem is still there, though. The graphic adapter
                            > is a Formac 32 MB card. Other applications are displayed correctly. I
                            > am lost!
                            >
                            > Thanks for your help.
                            >
                            > Frederic W. Erk

                            “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
                            --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
                            from Pink Floyd, The Wall
                            Rick Albright
                            logres@...
                          • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 4, 2007
                              Hi, Everyone.

                              I too have long faced this display problem when text is zoomed in OS
                              8-9, and it appears in ClarisWorks as well as WP (I have not used Word
                              98 enough to be able to tell); in Claris, which is known for its
                              text-rendering problems (a problem that persists even with the latest,
                              OSX version), some magnifications result in text disappearing into the
                              margin. Trial and error has been my solution.

                              My approach has thus been to experiment with various zoom levels,
                              because the optimal zoom level seems to depend on the font and size, and
                              sometimes on whether Fractional Character Widths is activated (usually I
                              leave it activated; once in a while text looks better with it
                              deactivated, and I have to remember to reactivate it before printing).
                              On my (Santa Rosa 15 in.) MacBook Pro the screen resolution is 1440 by
                              900, and I have SheepShaver set to 1280 by 800, which nicely fills most
                              of my screen. At this resolution the text displayed in WP windows at
                              100% is way too small for my aging eyes, so I use an OnOpenDocument
                              macro *in the Library* to enlarge each document to 150% as it opens and
                              then zoom the window out to show the full width of the page. This
                              magnification level works well for me with Courier 10, which is what I
                              use most often to prepare reports etc., and most of the time also in
                              such fonts as Times, Palatino, Helvetica/Arial, and (my favorites) the
                              various Lucida fonts. Occasionally I need to use a different
                              magnification. With the above screen resolutions I can use 200%
                              magnification and still show the entire page. With small-size Times
                              text, 200% can look good.

                              For anyone who wants to try out my approach: create a new macro, title
                              it OnOpenDocument, and save it in the Library. Copy the following two
                              lines and paste them into the macro window, save, and that's it.

                              Magnification (150.0)
                              ZoomOut Window (FrontWindow)

                              If you find by trial and error that a different magnification works
                              better for you, replace the (150.0) with that level in the first line of
                              the macro. This only sets the magnification at which the document
                              initially appears when opened. You can always change the magnification
                              later while working.

                              Tom

                              ===================================
                              Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
                              Licensed Clinical Psychologist
                              1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
                              Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
                              (708) 848-1611
                              fax (708) 848-1436
                              tjrostaf@...
                              ===================================
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 5, 2007
                                Power user express! Thanks for the discussion, Tom.

                                John R.

                                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D." <TJRostaf@...>

                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 5, 2007

                                  > Spacing at various zoom levels is much better when Fractional
                                  > Character Widths, an option in the Page Setup dialog, is checked.
                                  > Conversely, type on screen at 100% looks better with it
                                  > unchecked. To avoid trips to the Page Setup dialog, record
                                  > two macros: one when you check it and another to uncheck it.
                                  > You could assign them related keystrokes, e.g. F10 and shift-F10.
                                  >
                                  > You could also record macros that change the zoom level, and
                                  > add the Page Setup switch.

                                  Such as this, which toggles between 100% view and fixed character
                                  widths, and a percentage view you set with fractional character
                                  widths.

                                  As written, it toggles between 100% and 200%. Change the last number
                                  in the first line from 200 to anything else you prefer.

                                  The 612 and 792 are US letter paper width and height; A4 is 595 and 842.

                                  Assign (Var01;200)
                                  ;
                                  If (ScaleFactor!=100)
                                  Magnification (100.0)
                                  Page Setup Options (612;792;0.0in;Fixed)
                                  Else
                                  Magnification (Var01)
                                  Page Setup Options (612;792;0.0in;Fractional)
                                  End If
                                  ;
                                  ZoomOut Window (FrontWindow)
                                  Display (On)

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 5, 2007
                                    wrote:

                                    > sometimes on whether Fractional Character Widths is activated (usually I
                                    > leave it activated; once in a while text looks better with it
                                    > deactivated, and I have to remember to reactivate it before printing).

                                    You can assign Command-P to this macro, which activates Fractional
                                    Character Widths, presents the Print dialog (make choices as usual
                                    and click OK to print) and then deactivates fractional. If you copy it
                                    as it is here and paste it into the macro editor it will set US letter
                                    paper size. To change it to A4, delete the semicolons in front of
                                    the second line and last line:

                                    Page Setup Options (612;792;0.0in;Fractional)
                                    ; Page Setup Options (595;842;0.0in;Fractional)
                                    ;
                                    Print Dialog
                                    ;
                                    Page Setup Options (612;792;0.0in;Fixed)
                                    ; Page Setup Options (595;842;0.0in;Fixed)

                                    John R.
                                  • Bob Stern
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 5, 2007
                                      Turning fractional character widths on and off often changes the
                                      point at which soft wraps occur at the right margin, which in turn
                                      can change the locations of soft page breaks. You could even end up
                                      with an extra page with only one line of text.

                                      Consequently, you may want to turn on fractional widths and look over
                                      your document before printing instead of doing it automatically with
                                      a macro as John suggests.
                                      --

                                      Bob Stern
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 6, 2007

                                        > Turning fractional character widths on and off often changes the
                                        > point at which soft wraps occur at the right margin, which in turn
                                        > can change the locations of soft page breaks. You could even end up
                                        > with an extra page with only one line of text.
                                        >
                                        > Consequently, you may want to turn on fractional widths and look over
                                        > your document before printing instead of doing it automatically with
                                        > a macro as John suggests.

                                        Good point.