Rebuilding desktop in SheepShaver (was: OS 7.5 extensions in SheepShaver)

    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@...>
      wrote:

      > I actually don't have any complaints about the speed
      > (not that I tried anything terribly compute bound.)
      > In fact, it seemed to me that sheepshaver/OS 7.5 loaded
      > faster than Classic does.

      My two machines are a 1.25 ghz G4 iMac (PPC) and
      MacBook Pro with Intel Core Duo (not Core Duo 2). I
      ran a spellcheck on a 48,000 word document with footnotes
      that had no misspellings, so WP went through the
      document without stopping for user input. The check
      took 16 seconds on PPC and 20 seconds on Intel, but
      all Macintoshes for sale now have the next generation
      Intel chip, the Core Duo 2, so I'd imagine that WP
      is generally faster with that chip and SheepShaver than
      in Classic.

      > But that does raise the question: how do you force
      > 7.5 (or whatever) to rebuild the desktop under
      > SheepShaver? It tried various key combinations
      > that I vaguely remembered while it was booting and they
      > didn't seem to make any difference.

      I included an Applescript applet named something like
      (I'm not at home now) "Desktop Reset" for this purpose.
      It's in the Utilities folder.

      John R.
    • ted_m_p_lee
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 2007

        > I included an Applescript applet named something like
        > (I'm not at home now) "Desktop Reset" for this purpose.
        > It's in the Utilities folder.

        Thanks for pointing that out John. There sure is an embarrassment of
        riches in what you've packaged up!

        Ted Lee
        Minnetonka, MN