Re: [wpmac] Two additional successes with SheepShaver

  • ted_m_p_lee
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jpwav716 <jpwav716@...> wrote:

      > Are you printing to a directly connected printer or a Network printer?
      > If a network printer, how did you accomplish it?

      Yes, it is an ethernet network printer. Brother something or other. I
      didn't do anything in particular -- it just worked! It's the only
      printer I have and I imagine it's set as the default in OS X. I
      followed the instructions in John's package. Using either the Adobe PS
      or Laserwriter 8 driver it comes up with the print-to-file dialogue and
      then you navigate to the folder in the "unix" drive that's been set up
      and that's all it takes. Oh, yes, I did have to follow the
      instructions to get the folder-action on the OS X side to take.

      Ted Lee
      Minnetonka, MN
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jpwav716 <jpwav716@> wrote:

        > then you navigate to the folder in the "unix" drive that's
        > been set up and that's all it takes.

        That navigation should stick, from one session to the next.

        > Oh, yes, I did have
        > to follow the instructions to get the folder-action on
        > the OS X side to take.

        The folder actions machinery is a little quirky, even in
        Tiger (I understand Leopard has addressed the issue). You
        may have to disable folder actions, re-enable them, assign
        the printing/PDF script to the folder, and log out and in.

        John R.
      • ted_m_p_lee
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
          <jrethorst@...> wrote:

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jpwav716 <jpwav716@> wrote:
          >
          > > then you navigate to the folder in the "unix" drive that's
          > > been set up and that's all it takes.
          >
          > That navigation should stick, from one session to the next.

          I think it did, but I probably did confuse things by having to go to
          the Laserwriter 8 driver for Mangia.

          > > Oh, yes, I did have
          > > to follow the instructions to get the folder-action on
          > > the OS X side to take.
          >
          > The folder actions machinery is a little quirky, even in
          > Tiger (I understand Leopard has addressed the issue). You
          > may have to disable folder actions, re-enable them, assign
          > the printing/PDF script to the folder, and log out and in.

          All I remember is following your instructions and it worked fine
          thereafter -- whatever I did, I only did once.

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
            Printing under Sheepshaver seems to be a case of using adobe printer
            and that will link to whatever printer OS X is using - if that's a
            network printer, off it goes. No problems yet.

            Geoff

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007

              > Printing under Sheepshaver seems to be a case of using adobe
              > printer and that will link to whatever printer OS X is
              > using - if that's a network printer, off it goes. No
              > problems yet.

              Correct. The Adobe driver just makes a postscript file
              in the designated folder. The folder action sees the
              new file and prints it, using default printer and
              settings, or opens it with the default application for
              postscript documents, which is Preview.

              John R.
            • ted_m_p_lee
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
                <jrethorst@...> wrote:

                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@> wrote:
                >
                > > Printing under Sheepshaver seems to be a case of using adobe
                > > printer and that will link to whatever printer OS X is
                > > using - if that's a network printer, off it goes. No
                > > problems yet.
                >
                > Correct. The Adobe driver just makes a postscript file
                > in the designated folder. The folder action sees the
                > new file and prints it, using default printer and
                > settings, or opens it with the default application for
                > postscript documents, which is Preview.

                Just to make sure people see it again -- it also works that way with
                the Laserwriter 8 driver -- I needed to use that when the Adobe
                driver didn't seem work with Mangia (it did work with WP.)

                Ted Lee
                Minnetonka, MN