Re: Beyond 7.5 (sheepshaver question)

  • philo_doozy
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007

      > Ted
      >
      > I think that at present SheepShaver can only handle up to OS 9.0.4.
      >
      > Geoff

      When I sold my 8600, I gave them all my old MacOS install disks.
      Now I regret it.

      Anyway, I have an OS 8.5 System folder. I replaced the 7.5 with it.
      Sheepshaver starts fine. Most things work. (The apple menu is empty.)
      But the System Folder does not get its special icon. And when I shutdown
      I get a warning that there is no valid System Folder, so that starting up
      again may be impossible. But starting up again works.

      So for now I'm staying with OS 7.5.

      Another thing I did: I used Disk Utility to make a 1.5G .dmg file.
      Copied the OS9 applications folder I had for Classic to it. Added it
      as a second disk to SheepShaver. So now I can run other classic
      applications.
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, philo_doozy <no_reply@...>
        wrote:

        > Anyway, I have an OS 8.5 System folder. I replaced the 7.5 with it.
        > Sheepshaver starts fine. Most things work. (The apple menu is
        empty.)
        > But the System Folder does not get its special icon. And when I
        shutdown
        > I get a warning that there is no valid System Folder, so that
        starting up
        > again may be impossible. But starting up again works.

        Open the 8.5 system folder and double-click on the Finder. A dialog
        will say it can't be opened. Ok that and close the folder. Does it now
        have its special badge, i.e. is it "blessed"? If so, it should then
        start up from that folder without problems. I'd only have one system
        folder on a volume at one time, though.