Re: [wpmac] Two additional successes with SheepShaver

  • jpwav716
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 31, 2007
      Are you printing to a directly connected printer or a Network printer?
      If a network printer, how did you accomplish it?

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jpwav716 <jpwav716@...> wrote:

        > Don't tell anyone, but they all (including WP) just feel better
        under SheepShaver than Classic!

        I agree. SheepShaver is more Classic than Classic!

        John R.
      • ted_m_p_lee
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jpwav716 <jpwav716@...> wrote:

          > Are you printing to a directly connected printer or a Network printer?
          > If a network printer, how did you accomplish it?

          Yes, it is an ethernet network printer. Brother something or other. I
          didn't do anything in particular -- it just worked! It's the only
          printer I have and I imagine it's set as the default in OS X. I
          followed the instructions in John's package. Using either the Adobe PS
          or Laserwriter 8 driver it comes up with the print-to-file dialogue and
          then you navigate to the folder in the "unix" drive that's been set up
          and that's all it takes. Oh, yes, I did have to follow the
          instructions to get the folder-action on the OS X side to take.

          Ted Lee
          Minnetonka, MN
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jpwav716 <jpwav716@> wrote:

            > then you navigate to the folder in the "unix" drive that's
            > been set up and that's all it takes.

            That navigation should stick, from one session to the next.

            > Oh, yes, I did have
            > to follow the instructions to get the folder-action on
            > the OS X side to take.

            The folder actions machinery is a little quirky, even in
            Tiger (I understand Leopard has addressed the issue). You
            may have to disable folder actions, re-enable them, assign
            the printing/PDF script to the folder, and log out and in.

            John R.
          • ted_m_p_lee
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
              <jrethorst@...> wrote:

              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jpwav716 <jpwav716@> wrote:
              >
              > > then you navigate to the folder in the "unix" drive that's
              > > been set up and that's all it takes.
              >
              > That navigation should stick, from one session to the next.

              I think it did, but I probably did confuse things by having to go to
              the Laserwriter 8 driver for Mangia.

              > > Oh, yes, I did have
              > > to follow the instructions to get the folder-action on
              > > the OS X side to take.
              >
              > The folder actions machinery is a little quirky, even in
              > Tiger (I understand Leopard has addressed the issue). You
              > may have to disable folder actions, re-enable them, assign
              > the printing/PDF script to the folder, and log out and in.

              All I remember is following your instructions and it worked fine
              thereafter -- whatever I did, I only did once.

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
                Printing under Sheepshaver seems to be a case of using adobe printer
                and that will link to whatever printer OS X is using - if that's a
                network printer, off it goes. No problems yet.

                Geoff

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007

                  > Printing under Sheepshaver seems to be a case of using adobe
                  > printer and that will link to whatever printer OS X is
                  > using - if that's a network printer, off it goes. No
                  > problems yet.

                  Correct. The Adobe driver just makes a postscript file
                  in the designated folder. The folder action sees the
                  new file and prints it, using default printer and
                  settings, or opens it with the default application for
                  postscript documents, which is Preview.

                  John R.
                • ted_m_p_lee
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
                    <jrethorst@...> wrote:

                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Printing under Sheepshaver seems to be a case of using adobe
                    > > printer and that will link to whatever printer OS X is
                    > > using - if that's a network printer, off it goes. No
                    > > problems yet.
                    >
                    > Correct. The Adobe driver just makes a postscript file
                    > in the designated folder. The folder action sees the
                    > new file and prints it, using default printer and
                    > settings, or opens it with the default application for
                    > postscript documents, which is Preview.

                    Just to make sure people see it again -- it also works that way with
                    the Laserwriter 8 driver -- I needed to use that when the Adobe
                    driver didn't seem work with Mangia (it did work with WP.)

                    Ted Lee
                    Minnetonka, MN