Re: [wpmac] Beyond 7.5 (sheepshaver question)

  • Michael Mulhern
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2007
      SS will only support up to MOS 9.0.4 (I believe because SS doesn't support VM)
      this link
      http://theappleblog.com/2006/07/01/classic-on-intel-macs-courtesy-of-sheepshaver/
      will outline what you need to do to get 9.0.4 installed.

      Michael

      Quoting ted_m_p_lee <tmplee@...>:

      > OK, John's package came with MacOS 7.5. I have a copy of 9.1 on a PowerPC
      > G4 that it will
      > boot into just fine. Is there any way I can use that to get a working copy
      > of 9.1 that will run
      > under SheepShaver? I tried replacing the system folder on the Sheepshaver
      > volume with the
      > one from the PowerPC, but it didn't work. I had to delete a few things (on
      > both the SS
      > volume and in that system folder) to make it fit and i can't guarantee I
      > didn't screw
      > something up in the process. If I try again, is it possible I can make it
      > work -- and are there
      > any special tricks I need to try?
      >
      > Ted Lee
      > Minnetonka, MN

    • philo_doozy
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007

        > Ted
        >
        > I think that at present SheepShaver can only handle up to OS 9.0.4.
        >
        > Geoff

        When I sold my 8600, I gave them all my old MacOS install disks.
        Now I regret it.

        Anyway, I have an OS 8.5 System folder. I replaced the 7.5 with it.
        Sheepshaver starts fine. Most things work. (The apple menu is empty.)
        But the System Folder does not get its special icon. And when I shutdown
        I get a warning that there is no valid System Folder, so that starting up
        again may be impossible. But starting up again works.

        So for now I'm staying with OS 7.5.

        Another thing I did: I used Disk Utility to make a 1.5G .dmg file.
        Copied the OS9 applications folder I had for Classic to it. Added it
        as a second disk to SheepShaver. So now I can run other classic
        applications.
      • ted_m_p_lee
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007

          > I think that at present SheepShaver can only handle up to OS 9.0.4.

          You're right -- I believe I did see that mentioned somewhere. Unless I
          can find one or more sets of installation disks (I'd have ones from
          both my wife's mini and my older PowerMac) *and* discover they came
          with 9.0 *and* they aren't specific to those models I guess I'll just
          have to be content with 7.5! (Those graphics not showing annoys me,
          not that it matters with any of the files I care about, but I was
          hoping that being able to run 9 would fix that.) Something about not
          looking a gift horse in the mouth does come to mind, however.

          Ted Lee
          Minnetonka, MN
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, philo_doozy <no_reply@...>
            wrote:

            > Anyway, I have an OS 8.5 System folder. I replaced the 7.5 with it.
            > Sheepshaver starts fine. Most things work. (The apple menu is
            empty.)
            > But the System Folder does not get its special icon. And when I
            shutdown
            > I get a warning that there is no valid System Folder, so that
            starting up
            > again may be impossible. But starting up again works.

            Open the 8.5 system folder and double-click on the Finder. A dialog
            will say it can't be opened. Ok that and close the folder. Does it now
            have its special badge, i.e. is it "blessed"? If so, it should then
            start up from that folder without problems. I'd only have one system
            folder on a volume at one time, though.