Re: [wpmac] Beyond 7.5 (sheepshaver question)

  • Michael Mulhern
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2007
      SS will only support up to MOS 9.0.4 (I believe because SS doesn't support VM)
      this link
      http://theappleblog.com/2006/07/01/classic-on-intel-macs-courtesy-of-sheepshaver/
      will outline what you need to do to get 9.0.4 installed.

      Michael

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 31, 2007
        Ted

        I think that at present SheepShaver can only handle up to OS 9.0.4.

        Geoff

        >OK, John's package came with MacOS 7.5. I have a copy of 9.1 on a
        >PowerPC G4 that it will
        >boot into just fine. Is there any way I can use that to get a
        >working copy of 9.1 that will run
        >under SheepShaver? I tried replacing the system folder on the
        >Sheepshaver volume with the
        >one from the PowerPC, but it didn't work. I had to delete a few
        >things (on both the SS
        >volume and in that system folder) to make it fit and i can't
        >guarantee I didn't screw
        >something up in the process. If I try again, is it possible I can
        >make it work -- and are there
        >any special tricks I need to try?
        >
        >Ted Lee
        >Minnetonka, MN
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • philo_doozy
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007

          > Ted
          >
          > I think that at present SheepShaver can only handle up to OS 9.0.4.
          >
          > Geoff

          When I sold my 8600, I gave them all my old MacOS install disks.
          Now I regret it.

          Anyway, I have an OS 8.5 System folder. I replaced the 7.5 with it.
          Sheepshaver starts fine. Most things work. (The apple menu is empty.)
          But the System Folder does not get its special icon. And when I shutdown
          I get a warning that there is no valid System Folder, so that starting up
          again may be impossible. But starting up again works.

          So for now I'm staying with OS 7.5.

          Another thing I did: I used Disk Utility to make a 1.5G .dmg file.
          Copied the OS9 applications folder I had for Classic to it. Added it
          as a second disk to SheepShaver. So now I can run other classic
          applications.
        • ted_m_p_lee
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007

            > I think that at present SheepShaver can only handle up to OS 9.0.4.

            You're right -- I believe I did see that mentioned somewhere. Unless I
            can find one or more sets of installation disks (I'd have ones from
            both my wife's mini and my older PowerMac) *and* discover they came
            with 9.0 *and* they aren't specific to those models I guess I'll just
            have to be content with 7.5! (Those graphics not showing annoys me,
            not that it matters with any of the files I care about, but I was
            hoping that being able to run 9 would fix that.) Something about not
            looking a gift horse in the mouth does come to mind, however.

            Ted Lee
            Minnetonka, MN
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, philo_doozy <no_reply@...>
              wrote:

              > Anyway, I have an OS 8.5 System folder. I replaced the 7.5 with it.
              > Sheepshaver starts fine. Most things work. (The apple menu is
              empty.)
              > But the System Folder does not get its special icon. And when I
              shutdown
              > I get a warning that there is no valid System Folder, so that
              starting up
              > again may be impossible. But starting up again works.

              Open the 8.5 system folder and double-click on the Finder. A dialog
              will say it can't be opened. Ok that and close the folder. Does it now
              have its special badge, i.e. is it "blessed"? If so, it should then
              start up from that folder without problems. I'd only have one system
              folder on a volume at one time, though.