Two additional successes with SheepShaver

  • ted_m_p_lee
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 30, 2007
      FWIW, I got both Mangia and Framemaker to work just fine under SheepShaver on the
      powerbook G4, running 10.4.10 -- including printing! I had to use the Laserwriter 8 driver
      for Mangia for some reason -- nothing happened with the AdobePS driver although I didn't
      try very hard to figure out why not since the other one worked.

      Don't tell anyone, but they all (including WP) just feel better under SheepShaver than Classic!

      Come Christmastime i think a new external hard drive and a family license version of Leopard
      may be under the tree. Methinks it's time to invest in storage companies -- Time Machine is
      going to sell a lot of extra storage.

      Ted Lee
      Minnetonka, MN
    • Mike Robbins
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 30, 2007
        Ted-

        Which version of Framemaker are you using? Which MacOS under
        SheepShaver?

        Mike Robbins
        Los Angeles

        On Oct 30, 2007, at 7:58 PM, ted_m_p_lee wrote:

        > FWIW, I got both Mangia and Framemaker to work just fine under
        > SheepShaver on the
        > powerbook G4, running 10.4.10 -- including printing! I had to use
        > the Laserwriter 8 driver
        > for Mangia for some reason -- nothing happened with the AdobePS
        > driver although I didn't
        > try very hard to figure out why not since the other one worked.
        >
        > Don't tell anyone, but they all (including WP) just feel better
        > under SheepShaver than Classic!
        >
        > Come Christmastime i think a new external hard drive and a family
        > license version of Leopard
        > may be under the tree. Methinks it's time to invest in storage
        > companies -- Time Machine is
        > going to sell a lot of extra storage.
        >
        > Ted Lee
        > Minnetonka, MN

      • ted_m_p_lee
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 31, 2007
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Mike Robbins <mrobbins@...>
          wrote:

          > Ted-
          >
          > Which version of Framemaker are you using? Which MacOS under
          > SheepShaver?

          Framemaker 4.0.4. The version of MacOS that's in John's installation
          package is 7.5, but most of the extensions seem to be from 8.x. I
          haven't yet tried copying over the last full version of OS9 I have on
          my desktop (G4 something or other) but I do intend to do that. Or
          maybe I can find my install disks somewhere!

          Ted Lee
          Minnetonka, MN
        • jpwav716
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 31, 2007
            Are you printing to a directly connected printer or a Network printer?
            If a network printer, how did you accomplish it?

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jpwav716 <jpwav716@...> wrote:

              > Don't tell anyone, but they all (including WP) just feel better
              under SheepShaver than Classic!

              I agree. SheepShaver is more Classic than Classic!

              John R.
            • ted_m_p_lee
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jpwav716 <jpwav716@...> wrote:

                > Are you printing to a directly connected printer or a Network printer?
                > If a network printer, how did you accomplish it?

                Yes, it is an ethernet network printer. Brother something or other. I
                didn't do anything in particular -- it just worked! It's the only
                printer I have and I imagine it's set as the default in OS X. I
                followed the instructions in John's package. Using either the Adobe PS
                or Laserwriter 8 driver it comes up with the print-to-file dialogue and
                then you navigate to the folder in the "unix" drive that's been set up
                and that's all it takes. Oh, yes, I did have to follow the
                instructions to get the folder-action on the OS X side to take.

                Ted Lee
                Minnetonka, MN
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jpwav716 <jpwav716@> wrote:

                  > then you navigate to the folder in the "unix" drive that's
                  > been set up and that's all it takes.

                  That navigation should stick, from one session to the next.

                  > Oh, yes, I did have
                  > to follow the instructions to get the folder-action on
                  > the OS X side to take.

                  The folder actions machinery is a little quirky, even in
                  Tiger (I understand Leopard has addressed the issue). You
                  may have to disable folder actions, re-enable them, assign
                  the printing/PDF script to the folder, and log out and in.

                  John R.
                • ted_m_p_lee
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
                    <jrethorst@...> wrote:

                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, jpwav716 <jpwav716@> wrote:
                    >
                    > > then you navigate to the folder in the "unix" drive that's
                    > > been set up and that's all it takes.
                    >
                    > That navigation should stick, from one session to the next.

                    I think it did, but I probably did confuse things by having to go to
                    the Laserwriter 8 driver for Mangia.

                    > > Oh, yes, I did have
                    > > to follow the instructions to get the folder-action on
                    > > the OS X side to take.
                    >
                    > The folder actions machinery is a little quirky, even in
                    > Tiger (I understand Leopard has addressed the issue). You
                    > may have to disable folder actions, re-enable them, assign
                    > the printing/PDF script to the folder, and log out and in.

                    All I remember is following your instructions and it worked fine
                    thereafter -- whatever I did, I only did once.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
                      Printing under Sheepshaver seems to be a case of using adobe printer
                      and that will link to whatever printer OS X is using - if that's a
                      network printer, off it goes. No problems yet.

                      Geoff

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007

                        > Printing under Sheepshaver seems to be a case of using adobe
                        > printer and that will link to whatever printer OS X is
                        > using - if that's a network printer, off it goes. No
                        > problems yet.

                        Correct. The Adobe driver just makes a postscript file
                        in the designated folder. The folder action sees the
                        new file and prints it, using default printer and
                        settings, or opens it with the default application for
                        postscript documents, which is Preview.

                        John R.
                      • ted_m_p_lee
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
                          <jrethorst@...> wrote:

                          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@> wrote:
                          >
                          > > Printing under Sheepshaver seems to be a case of using adobe
                          > > printer and that will link to whatever printer OS X is
                          > > using - if that's a network printer, off it goes. No
                          > > problems yet.
                          >
                          > Correct. The Adobe driver just makes a postscript file
                          > in the designated folder. The folder action sees the
                          > new file and prints it, using default printer and
                          > settings, or opens it with the default application for
                          > postscript documents, which is Preview.

                          Just to make sure people see it again -- it also works that way with
                          the Laserwriter 8 driver -- I needed to use that when the Adobe
                          driver didn't seem work with Mangia (it did work with WP.)

                          Ted Lee
                          Minnetonka, MN