Re: [wpmac] SheepShaver questions

  • Randall C. Wilson
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 29, 2007
      I'm just referring to my own experience on a Titanium Powerbook.
      Once Tiger was installed all attempts to install OS9 (from original
      installation disks) failed because the installer programs insisted
      that the hard drive (which had been re-initialized before installing
      Tiger) already contained a system folder. After two days of
      frustration, what worked was going back to Panther, installing an OS9
      partition and then upgrading to Tiger. It's pretty much a forgotten
      issue now. Other users experiences may have varied.

      >I hate to disagree with this notion but I have to since I have an
      >Apple CD which allows installation of OS 9.2.2 on any mac which has
      >Tiger running and does not have a current OS 9 installation. this
      >includes those PowerMacs which cannot boot into OS 9. It does not,
      >however, include the newer Intel Macs. Just the PPC ones.
    • philo_doozy
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 30, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Sandel" <flagnab@...> wrote:

        > Well, then, I'm confused. What precisely does it mean to say that an
        > iteration of the OS has "ended support for Classic" -- ?
        >
        > JS

        With Leopard it means: even if you have an OS 9 System Folder, you still cannot start the
        Classic environment. There is no "Classic" system preference.
      • Bob Stern
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 30, 2007
          >philo_doozy wrote:
          >
          >Where is the data for SheepShaver kept? So I can remove it and start over?

          ~/Library/com.yourcompany.SheepShaverPrefs.plist
          --

          Bob Stern
        • Chad Smith
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 30, 2007
            Which means if you want to run Classic applications at all under Leopard -
            you need something like SheepShaver. Which means SheepShaver is going to
            get a lot more popular. Apple has already sold over 2 million copies of
            Leopard. And that's not counting the sales of new Macs with Leopard
            pre-installed.

            --
            - Chad Smith
            http://www.chadwsmith.com/

            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 30, 2007

              > >philo_doozy wrote:
              > >
              > >Where is the data for SheepShaver kept? So I can remove it and start over?
              >
              > ~/Library/com.yourcompany.SheepShaverPrefs.plist
              > --
              >
              > Bob Stern

              Didn't find such a file. Not even if I put in /Preferences in the obvious place. Nor using the
              global /Library ...???
            • philo_doozy
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 30, 2007

                > >philo_doozy wrote:
                > >
                > >Where is the data for SheepShaver kept? So I can remove it and start over?
                >
                > ~/Library/com.yourcompany.SheepShaverPrefs.plist
                > --
                >
                > Bob Stern

                No such file.
                Here it is:
                ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 30, 2007
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Chad Smith" <chad78@...> wrote:

                  > Which means if you want to run Classic applications at all under Leopard -
                  > you need something like SheepShaver. Which means SheepShaver is going to
                  > get a lot more popular. Apple has already sold over 2 million copies of
                  > Leopard. And that's not counting the sales of new Macs with Leopard
                  > pre-installed.

                  Which means that the open-source development of SS is going to get
                  a lot more popular, and the remaining quirks with the unix/transfer
                  folder will be ironed out faster.

                  John R.
                • Bill Bossart
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 30, 2007
                    One note. I am almost ready to buy an iMac and I will wait until
                    Leopard comes installed. Not yet.
                    On Oct 30, 2007, at 6:09 PM, John Rethorst wrote:

                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Chad Smith" <chad78@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Which means if you want to run Classic applications at all under
                    >> Leopard -
                    >> you need something like SheepShaver. Which means SheepShaver is
                    >> going to
                    >> get a lot more popular. Apple has already sold over 2 million
                    >> copies of
                    >> Leopard. And that's not counting the sales of new Macs with Leopard
                    >> pre-installed.
                    >
                    > Which means that the open-source development of SS is going to get
                    > a lot more popular, and the remaining quirks with the unix/transfer
                    > folder will be ironed out faster.
                    >
                    > John R.
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Bill Bossart
                    whbossart@...
                  • Chad Smith
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 30, 2007
                      Leopard *does* come pre-installed now. I was just saying (and, after
                      looking it up, incorrectly) that the 2 million sales don't count Macs with
                      Leopard. But I was wrong. It was counting both sales of Leopard and Mac
                      with Leopard installed. All new Macs ship with Mac OS X 10.5 - Leopard (or
                      10.5 Server) pre-installed. Including iMacs.

                      I'd wait to see what happens next Tuesday, though. There are rumors of
                      MacBooks or other Macs geting upgraded.

                      --
                      - Chad Smith
                      http://www.chadwsmith.com/

                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 31, 2007
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, philo_doozy <no_reply@...> wrote:

                        > But then if I click on anything (or, after a few seconds, even if I don't)
                        > I get the spinning beachball. And can do nothing to it but force quit.

                        OK I got it to work. I threw away .sheepshaver_prefs and started over.
                        I'm not sure, but maybe the problem was setting the Unix volume to /
                        but not having write permission there?

                        Anyway it is now working.
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 31, 2007
                          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, philo_doozy <no_reply@...> wrote:

                          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, philo_doozy <no_reply@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > But then if I click on anything (or, after a few seconds, even if I don't)
                          > > I get the spinning beachball. And can do nothing to it but force quit.
                          > >

                          > OK I got it to work. I threw away .sheepshaver_prefs and started over.
                          > I'm not sure, but maybe the problem was setting the Unix volume to /
                          > but not having write permission there?

                          SS developers recommend not setting the Unix folder to the root folder
                          of your HD, or to your Home folder. I use ~/Home/Documents without
                          problems. Others make a new folder in a folder where they have write
                          permission and use that.

                          John R.
                        • Bill Bossart
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 31, 2007
                            But not from Apple directly. Apple seems to have available iMacs with
                            Tiger. Others like Small Dog have iMacs with Leopard backordered.
                            Since I get a discount and free shipping, I will probably wait for
                            Apple.

                            On Oct 30, 2007, at 8:10 PM, Chad Smith wrote:

                            > Leopard *does* come pre-installed now. I was just saying (and, after
                            > looking it up, incorrectly) that the 2 million sales don't count
                            > Macs with
                            > Leopard. But I was wrong. It was counting both sales of Leopard
                            > and Mac
                            > with Leopard installed. All new Macs ship with Mac OS X 10.5 -
                            > Leopard (or
                            > 10.5 Server) pre-installed. Including iMacs.
                            >
                            > I'd wait to see what happens next Tuesday, though. There are
                            > rumors of
                            > MacBooks or other Macs geting upgraded.
                            >
                            > --
                            > - Chad Smith
                            > http://www.chadwsmith.com/
                            >
                            > On 10/30/07, Bill Bossart <whbossart@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> One note. I am almost ready to buy an iMac and I will wait until
                            >> Leopard comes installed. Not yet.

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            Bill Bossart
                            whbossart@...
                          • Chad Smith
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 31, 2007
                              I just got off the Apple Store chat with Nina, who was a very helpful and
                              patient Apple Expert. She said that what is happening is that they already
                              had a bunch of iMacs built, with Tiger installed on them. Then, when
                              Leopard Day happened, they had to start doing erase-installs of Leopard. If
                              you order an iMac today, you might get one with Tiger installed - but you
                              will have the Leopard install disks, so you could upgrade them yourself. A
                              hassle? Sure, when you are used to getting that "It just works" freshness
                              from Apple (I was floored when my MacBook was fully charged out of the
                              box!) But, installing Mac OS X isn't difficult or terribly time consuming.
                              About an hour from start to finish, and involves you for about 5 minutes.

                              But, if you want to wait, that's understandable. Just wanted to let you
                              know that you won't be stuck with Tiger, just having to run the install
                              yourself.

                              Plus, I hear big things will happen on Nov 6, so it might be better to wait
                              anyway.

                              --
                              - Chad Smith
                              http://www.chadwsmith.com/

                              On 10/31/07, Bill Bossart <whbossart@...> wrote:

                              > But not from Apple directly. Apple seems to have available iMacs with
                              > Tiger. Others like Small Dog have iMacs with Leopard backordered.
                              > Since I get a discount and free shipping, I will probably wait for
                              > Apple.

                            • Daryl Chinn
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 31, 2007
                                This is a footnote to the Leopard/SS/OS9/Classic
                                discussion.

                                People have been talking about being able, with
                                Leopard, to reboot into OS9/Classic. One could do
                                this on older PPC machines; I have a Titanium
                                Powerbook with this capability.

                                However, on the last PPC machines, Apple designed them
                                so that you could NOT re-boot into OS9. I have one of
                                these, so I am still running WP on OS 10.4.10 with
                                Classic. My local Apple dealer says that if I can't
                                re-boot into OS 9 now, I won't be able to do it with
                                Leopard. SS here I come when I get the next Mac...

                                Daryl