Re: [wpmac] Its Official

  • Frank Mitchell
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 27, 2007
      Hello Phillip

      >What I want to see is a definitive list of what machines can install OS.x.5.

      Leopard requires an Intel, PowerMac G5 or PowerMac G4 processor but if
      you plan on trying it with a G4 chip, it needs to be clocking in at more
      than 867MHz.

      Your system needs 512MB of memory, a DVD drive to install the operating
      system and a hard drive with at least 9GB of space.

      If you're wanting to have a crack at dual-booting with Windows, you need
      to have a copy of either Windows Vista or Windows XP Service Pack 2 and
      it only works with Macs featuring an Intel processor.

      One surprising requirement is the need for at least a 1.6GHz processor
      for Leopard's DVD Player.

      <http://techlogg.com/content/view/465/31/>

      -- Frank Mitchell, Scottsdale, Arizona
    • tbgibson
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 28, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com> , "Phillip Jones, C.E.T."
        <pjones1@...> wrote:

        I want to begin to know how to move all my applications over and data.

        Phillip... I can't answer your question about how powerful your Mac must
        be to upgrade to Leopard, but if you do get new machines, the matter of
        moving your stuff over is simple:

        When you first turn your new computer on, you're given the opportunity
        to connect it via firewire cable to your old computer and transfer over
        as much as you want, including applications, settings and
        documents--everything. It's very easy and your new computer will
        resemble your old one as much as you'd like it to. Even if you don't to
        this right away, there are ways to create the opportunity again or to
        put the old computer in Target Disk Mode
        <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583> and copy files
        over at firewire speeds.

        Either way, it's not a problem.

        FYI: I upgraded my 2GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook last night and I love
        Leopard. I've never worked with virtual or multiple desktops, though, so
        I don't know how I'll take advantage of Spaces yet. Any ideas how it can
        help?

        Tina

      • Douglas Bouley
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 28, 2007
          Hi, Tina,

          I've used virtual desktops for years in the 'nix world. I make a
          "functional group" on a given desktop, lumping together similar tasks.
          One example of how I have used them is like this:

          1 desktop has a full-sized browser open
          1 desktop has mail clients (2, in my case)
          1 desktop has stacked terminal sessions with SSH connections to my
          servers (I am a UNIX SysAdmin)
          1 desktop has a WinXPP session open on the corporate Windows network

          And don't tell the boss, but I've been known to put up a movie on a
          separate desktop every so often...

          That's one general idea anyway. When I install 10.5 on my MBP, I may
          very well assign a desktop to a Parallels session, as well.

          Doug

          Switching between major functions thus becomes very clean and simple.