Repair your permissions and get Applejack

  • Thomas Briant
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2007
      Nancy:

      Did you try repairing your permissions? Repairing permissions solves
      a lot of problems.

      Go to /Applications/Utilities and start up Disk Utility

      Single click on the named hard disk. If you left it at default, it's
      Macintosh HD.

      You'll see a set of three buttons on your screen. To the left First
      Aid. In the Middle is Erase. To the right is Restore.

      Make sure that First Aid is highlighted. It should have a blue
      background.

      Now click on Repair Disk Permissions. Sit back and watch the screen.

      When it's done, it'll say Permissions Repair complete.

      Exit Disk Utility and try Safari now.

      Two other steps:

      I would suggest you download and install Firefox 2 as your backup
      browser. It's always good to have another browser installed for these
      kind
      of emergencies. Firefox also works with some Web sites that Safari
      has trouble with. Go to www.mozilla.com to find it.

      I would suggest you download and install Applejack 1.4.3. Applejack
      is a free utility that works in Apple Single-User mode to clean up
      messes on your Mac. It repairs your disk, cleans your cache and
      preference files. It's at http://applejack.sourceforge.net

      Tell us how it went.

      Tom Briant

    • villars@hamptons.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2007
        Thank you, Tom. Am going to do what you suggested in the a.m.
        (Naturally, I meant to write OS 10.3.9, not OS 10.30.9 in my e-mail. )
        Nancy

        http://www.eyeonthehamptons.net

      • Randy B. Singer
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 7, 2007
          On Saturday Oct 6, 2007, at 12:49 PM, villars@... wrote:

          > am at a complete loss what to do now.

          This is off topic for this list. If you would like me to recommend a
          nice general Macintosh discussion list, just let me know, preferably
          in private e-mail.

          I recommend that you run all of the routine maintenance suggested at:

          Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
          http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

          Chances are good that will fix the problem. If it doesn't fix the
          problem, as least we will have a baseline for further troubleshooting.

          Randy B. Singer